autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Refurbidshing "old" RV

Refurbidshing "old" RV

just acquired an old (1992) class A RV. In really good shape but needs a good sprucing up...

Fiberglass exterior needs more than just a bath - but not sure what is best option. Clearly has oxidation that needs to be cleaned (scrubbed off) and I doubt previous owner did much as far as cleaning/protecting exterior.

We don't need a "like new" finish so what's best product(s) to spiff it up a bit and protect it? We are not auto detailers (just wash our car routinely) so please don't get too technical!

Been reading about some of the "systems" such as Meguiar and looks like 303 Aerospace is great for protecting fiberglass (but presume that is after cleaning).

Looking for product / procedures that aren't too difficult/costly but that will give reasonable (not show quality) results!

Am I asking too much?

Thanks!!

Mike Phillips

Re: Refurbidshing "old" RV

Quote Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
    Refurbidshing "old" RV

just acquired an old (1992) class A RV. In really good shape but needs a good sprucing up...

Fiberglass exterior needs more than just a bath - but not sure what is best option. Clearly has oxidation that needs to be cleaned (scrubbed off) and I doubt previous owner did much as far as cleaning/protecting exterior.

We don't need a "like new" finish so what's best product(s) to spiff it up a bit and protect it? We are not auto detailers (just wash our car routinely) so please don't get too technical!

Been reading about some of the "systems" such as Meguiar and looks like 303 Aerospace is great for protecting fiberglass (but presume that is after cleaning).

Looking for product / procedures that aren't too difficult/costly but that will give reasonable (not show quality) results!

Am I asking too much?

Thanks!!

Hi Nana,

Since this is your first post,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

If you're not super picky about having a perfect finish, a real simple way to tackle oxidation would be to wash the RV with Comet or Bon-Ami and a good wash mitt, this will remove all the loose oxidation.

Next you'll want and need to use a good one-step cleaner/wax to further remove the dullness and restore some shine. For that I'd go with the 3D HD Speed. It's an easy to use one-step cleaner/wax that will clean, polish and protect the gel-coat in one step.

You're going to need a polisher to apply it, trying to apply any product to something as large as an RV will kill you to try to do by hand.

You DON'T want to use a rotary buffer as this will swirl out the entire RV. That leaves you with the option of getting an entry level orbital polisher like a Griot's 6" DA polisher or a pro-grade FLEX 3401 gear-driven polisher.

Out of the two options, even though it will cost you more, the FLEX 3401 is the way to go. The gear-driven feature of this orbital polisher will chew through the oxidation and create a high gloss shine fast. Then you'll be able to maintain the RV for as long as you own it plus your cars.

While this project isn't gel-coat, it was pretty beat up and I did all the restoration work using the FLEX 3401 and 3D HD Speed.

Detailing a beater! - 1972 Buick Riviera Boattail - Review: Lake Country Force Hybrid Foam Pads

3D HD Speed - 32 ounce

BEFORE

AFTER

Mike Phillips

Another option...

I'd recommend reading this recent thread about an RV restore, and note that in the thread I highly recommended the Marine 31 Captain's Compound followed by wax. Using the Captains Compound means doing two steps, compound and then wax, but the compound uses some amazing abrasive technology so you're guaranteed great results.

Gelcoat haze?

The guy that started the above thread sent me a private message that the Captain's Compound fixed the haze and finished out beautiful. That's what you want.

I've sent him a private message and asked him to update this thread so everyone will know the outcome of his RV project for the future.

If you want to go with the one-step approach, then the 3D HD Speed is the way to go. This is a very user-friendly cleaner/wax.

Hope the above helps...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike and sorry for the delayed reply - been working on other RV stuff before we did the exterior clean up. But now its time.
    Was just looking at the description of the 3D HD and noted it talks about painted surfaces ("Polishes and protects painted surfaces in one easy step") - we don't have paint we have fiberglass with old gel coat. Your reply above suggests we use it but wanted to confirm its good for gel coat as well as paint! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I used 3D HD on my 2006 Class C gelcoated coach last year with excellent results. I bought it used and it sat outside and was not cared for in anyway. I First washed it with Comet, then washed it with some Wolfgang , then took my flex 3401 using 3D HD ....it was a ton of work for one guy and I took me three full days to complete the entire coach. All products and polisher came directly from AG. My coach finished off great and shined all summer long with occational washes.

About to do the entire coach again using just the 3D HD after a through washing. Hope this infortion helps and ask any questions you may have, I'll do my best to offer clear concise Information....good luck !

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info DZ302! 3D HD is on it's way; we'll be starting on the "scrub down" in the next day or so. Just finished cleaning up the roof & recaulking roof vents etc. Couple of questions for you - did it really take you 3 days to do your Class C? How much of the 3D HD did you use? I haven't found any info on estimated coverage. We acquired a "vintage" 32ft Class A (1992 that sat outside for all its life as far as we know!) so have some work ahead of us! Will take before / after pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, took me three days to complete. I am somewhat of a perfectionist in my approach to get it as perfect as possible. I took my time and tried to do the very best job I was capable of on my Class C. I used roughly half of a 32 Oz bottle but did go over a few areas twice. My RV was in very poor condition on the outside , it was stored under a tree and had sap , debris build up etc. I think you get the picture. The interior was like brand new and the drivetrain had less than 5 k miles on it....the outside made it look old and used but it really wasn't.

I cleaned, Claulked, and treated my rubber roof yesterday as well and today it gets washed and waxed again for the season... It's a big job but again , take your time and do a hood job. It's certain was worth my effort.i don't expect it yo take near as long on my next attempt to wax it...good luck and take some pictures for us...