autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring back the shine on our first new to us camper (gel coat)

Hello all.

We recently bought a 2010 SunnyBrook Harmony 269 THX toy hauler. I had it detailed today and I am told by the detail guy (specializes in RV and campers) that the reason a large chunk of my camper is dull is due to the gel coat has burned off from being stored outside by the previous owner. The claim is there is not much I can do.

My question is, is this truly the case? I am told by others it is highly unlikely the gel coat is actually gone and that it is more likely oxidized or simply in need of a polish. I will say there was some white chaulky substance on the concrete after its bath that he claimed was the paint coming off since no gel coat but I feel like that was more due to the roof and it running off.

Anyway, I ended up paying for a detail that was to include being buffed and polished and that part did not happen as the claim was it could be buffed but it would return to dull in a month, They applied a liquid coating of some sort and that is the end.

I currently have the newer Meguires DA and have no issue diving into this with your guidance. I know rotarys are used on these a lot but I dont know if I can get myself to by one right now just for the camper.

Thanks for any help on how to tell what I am dealing with and next steps.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bring back the shine on our first new to us camper (gel coat)

Is it that bad of shape the detailer didn't want to buff.pics would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

I will snag some pics in the daylight tomorrow. Being my first camper i am not sure how to tell what is in what shape.

Post Thanks / Like

Take some angle shots.I resurrected a 2006 F450 this thing was cooked to death,it only has 12k on the odometer.

Post Thanks / Like

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...TA?usp=sharing

Seemed easier to upload some files to my google drive and share. Let me know if this does not work. Seemed better than hogging up cloud space for Autogeek.

I took a few angle shots of the side, some head ons, and the cap head on and angle. It is certainly shinier than what it was with the liquid gloss product they used and the bath itself. That said it is still pretty dull in spots and even when it is shiny, it is from and angle and pretty dull head on. That said, it is still pretty white. Sorry about the barn lighting.

Post Thanks / Like

That can be restored by the pics.mckees rv or menzerna gelcoat products will make it much better.To me seems like they didn't want to be bothered.No color products that have dye in it will stain it.Are you in fla?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    That can be restored by the pics.mckees rv or menzerna gelcoat products will make it much better.To me seems like they didn't want to be bothered.No color products that have dye in it will stain it.Are you in fla?

With my DA? Any reccomendation on pad? How do you tell if its just dulled and scuffed versus oxidized? Is mine oxidized? Thank you so far....I read on another forum about a clean/cut, polish, wax AIO but I cant remember and wasnt sure if it would work.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks dull and oxidized from the pictures.with the da meguairs marine onestep compound and polish with the rupes foam cutting pad should improve the finish.Then wax it with some collinite.Giving advice over the forum is kinda hard in a situation like this.If that was presented to me that's what I would try first.I have loads of different compounds,if one deosnt work I try something else till I find the dial in process.you don't have that option.So I'm gonna say that system behind a keyboard is not defenitive.There is no short cuts on time working on finishes like that.I do many rv but finishes are different in oxidation wise.So unless someone wants to chime in do as you wish.look into meguairs line gelcoat or mckees line for gelcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I am actually in Ohio. Are you in Fl? I wish someone with your knowledge and products was around here. :/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by solar07 View Post
    I am actually in Ohio. Are you in Fl? I wish someone with your knowledge and products was around here. :/
    I'm curious, how often will I need to cut qnd polish? The gel coat being only so thin I am curious hiw often this will need done. With a good sealant and being under a roof I am hoping I won't need to polish all the time. Over on the RV forum I being told the polish will only last 2-3 months.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast