autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bring back the shine on our first new to us camper (gel coat)

It's just very splochy.

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

Thanks for the PM letting me know about this discussion, sorry for the delay in getting to it.

Quote Originally Posted by solar07 View Post

Hello all, so I finally found time to do this. Camper is all washed and in the garage with my marine 31 heavy cur cleaner wax, lake country yellow foam pad, and Meg's MT300. I'm running into a few issues.

Right out of the gate one of my lake country pads melted to the center of the Meg's 5" plate. Only 3 sections into the job. I chucked that back plate and switched to the yellow one I see Mike always using. So far ok.

That doesn't sound right?

I'm guessing the yellow foam pad is this one?

Yellow Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

Foam pads will deform and I've seen a few melt in my life but it really only happens when you press against them hard and make a lot of passes. It's the pressure and violent oscillating action at high speed that creates a lot of heat that causes this to happen.

Still on the front and I'm getting some very shiney results in some areas combined with some dull lines, trails, etc, like you can see where I was with the DA. Any tips?

See where light is shining there is like what looks to be foot prints on a window.

It looks like you're getting the surface shiny but not getting off all the wax?

Are you buffing to a dry buff? If so - don't do this. Always have a wet film of product as you're buffing. Anytime you buff till the product is gone, (bad technique), you risk micro-marring and dulling the surface.

Link to my album will have to do for now. It won't let me upload photo from mobile device.
    This picture is in your free gallery here on AGO

solar07 Gallery - AutogeekOnline Gallery

The only way to add a photo to a thread from a phone or tablet, (that I know of), is to use the TapaTalk App. I use it all the time and I share thousands of pictures each year.

Yea it is marine 31 heavy cut gel coat cleaner wax. I did one whole side and the front and got mixed results. I tested meguires ultra cut then a polish and it looks better so I'm thinking this may not have enough cut.
    The Marine 31 Heavy Cut Cleaner/Wax is fairly aggressive it could be you need to use more product or go over the area twice?

Might try another one step like captains. Do I need to use a wool pad?
    Just to avoid confusion, there are one-step cleaner/waxes and one-step compound/polishes. The difference is the cleaner/wax will leave behind some protection while a compound/polish will NOT leave behind any protection.

Traditional wool pads don't work on free spinning orbital polishers, that is the kind you would use on a rotary buffer.

There are "different" types of wool pads on the market now that are more like microfiber pads in that they are THIN and have short fiber lengths. These will work on free spinning orbital polishers buy my experience is the fibers, because they are a type of abrasive may cut well but they tend to micro-mar the surface. Not a problem if you follow with foam to clean it up.

I'd get a quart of the BLACKFIRE One-Step and some fresh foam cutting pads and I'm pretty confident this will work perfect.

3. Likes axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. Yea I've tried it a few ways (more product, less product), Meg's cutting pad vs the lake country pad. I seem to get the same effect. I spot tested an area using Meg's cutting product, then a Meg's polish and it turned out great. Hoping not to have to three step this however.

What pad do you recommend with the black fire?

I'm not sure what the issue is with my Meg's DA. It seems to get very hot on anything past setting 4. Even if I one hand it and use no pressure with my left hand it still seems to start getting hot. I eased way up and after awhile, and continuously changing pads, I managed to partially melt the yellow back plate as well. I'm wondering what's up with that. The mt300 does seem to like the 5" Meg's pads better than the 5.5" lakes. Maybe they are too much pad for the mt300? Hoping to figure out some things before moving to the cars

On a side note I have test spotted some areas doing 2-3 runs with the Marine heavy cut and I get the same smudgy results each time. How much product should be left on the camper/on the pad prior to buffing?

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

P.s. the pads I have been using are the lake country 5.5*7/8 beveled edge cutting yellow pad. I tried a Meg's maroon 5" cutting pad which the mt300 seems like like a bit more due to the less overhang.

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike. Yea I've tried it a few ways (more product, less product), Meg's cutting pad vs the lake country pad. I seem to get the same effect. I spot tested an area using Meg's cutting product, then a Meg's polish and it turned out great. Hoping not to have to three step this however.

What pad do you recommend with the black fire?
    For white gel-coat you can probably get away with something like the orange Lake Country foam cutting pads.

Orange Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

The thing with using a foam CUTTING pad with a one step cleaner/wax is any foam cutting pad can leave micro-marring. It may not show up on light colors so if a person only wants to go around a camper one time then you have to do some testing and then decide how much time you want to put into this project.

To do it right it might come down to doing a two-step process.

I'm not sure what the issue is with my Meg's DA. It seems to get very hot on anything past setting 4. Even if I one hand it and use no pressure with my left hand it still seems to start getting hot. I eased way up and after awhile, and continuously changing pads, I managed to partially melt the yellow back plate as well. I'm wondering what's up with that.
    I've never experienced a heat issue with this model.

Maybe call Meguiar's Customer Care and let them know what you're experiencing. They keep a very good data base with feedback and issues with all their products so if there has been an issue with this model in the past they would have info on it.

On a side note I have test spotted some areas doing 2-3 runs with the Marine heavy cut and I get the same smudgy results each time.

How much product should be left on the camper/on the pad prior to buffing?

Thanks again.
    Just to be specific, you're using the heavy cut CLEANER/WAX

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax, best boat cleaner wax, gel coat cleaner wax

NOT the heavy-cut oxidation remover

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner, fiberglass compound, gel coat compound, marine oxidation remover

There's a huge difference in abrasive technology between these two products.

Mike Phillips

How much product should be left on the camper/on the pad prior to buffing?

One step cleaner/waxes, (same exact thing as any product called an AIO), when used on neglected surfaces are used like a compound or polish when removing swirls.

This means they are used heavy or wet. You want ample product on the surface both for the abrasives, chemical cleaners, solvents and lubricating oils. I've NEVER been one of those "pea sized drops" guys. That's ridiculous.

I have some articles on using one-step cleaner/waxes, I use Google to find my articles. Type in a few key words and my first and last name.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678