autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bring back the shine on our first new to us camper (gel coat)

subd, Can you please keep updating this post. I recently bought a 5th wheel toy hauler as well and is in the same shape as yours.
    Im thinking about buying this kit but im kinda nervous because it is pretty expensive and not sure if it will work.
    FLEX XC3401 Marine 31 Boat Oxidation Removal Kit, gel coat oxidation removal (maybe you can try these products not including the flex of course since you already have a DA, and see how it workout

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb when working on rv is to look at a angle.If there is sheen more than likely you can restore it.Im working on a 2010 ithasca if I spelled it correctly,baked to death everywhere never been taken care of since 2010. My approach to this is to quickly sand it down with 2000 then polish.By sanding it cuts so much time rather than to spending so much time machine compound.when sanding you will not get high and low gloss spots on the side which look terrible with machine polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax cutmax works very well on gel coats.I really don't think there is a standalone compound that will restore gelcoat even with diminishing abrasives.To much work and mess and added time to the job.when sanding your just gliding it over the gelcoat,not killing it like your really sanding.Ive tried them all with no success.Better and quicker results by nibbing it down with 2000 or 2500 the gloss and clarity is no match when you compound it to death only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Sonax cutmax works very well on gel coats.I really don't think there is a standalone compound that will restore gelcoat even with diminishing abrasives.To much work and mess and added time to the job.when sanding your just gliding it over the gelcoat,not killing it like your really sanding.Ive tried them all with no success.Better and quicker results by nibbing it down with 2000 or 2500 the gloss and clarity is no match when you compound it to death only.
    I am trying to fully comprehend.. So is your recommendation to go with a 2000-2500 grit sandpaper then to do a compound such as Sonax? Or sand and then straight to some other sort of polish?

What are you guys sealing it with after and how long before it needs sanding again?

Thank you all so much so far...

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb when working on rv is to look at a angle.If there is sheen more than likely you can restore it.Im working on a 2010 ithasca if I spelled it correctly,baked to death everywhere never been taken care of since 2010. My approach to this is to quickly sand it down with 2000 then polish.By sanding it cuts so much time rather than to spending so much time machine compound.when sanding you will not get high and low gloss spots on the side which look terrible with machine polishing.

Also, how are you guys sanding? As in what tools and approach?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sanding by hand.I don't like using a machine on flat gelcoat especially around all the windows and outlets and other small things on the rv I like to see what's going on while sanding.Do not sand any run down water streaks where water constantly escapes from the top.Keep in mind your just grazing the finish with 2000 grit just to knock off the dead fadeness.Then I'm using sonax cutmax with a gg6 da with a wool pad with steady slow overlapping passes.some tight areas I'm using my Ibrid to compound around Windows.Then on a da with orange foam thin pro bringing up the gloss with menzerna gelcoat fine cut and gloss.Then lastly sonax brilliant shine detailer.This is day 3 I'm piece mealing this in between other jobs.you may not want to sand over graphics as well,but on this one I did it was so bad.

Post Thanks / Like

2 choices of products that do work,is menzerna gelcoat system you get the compound and the the fine cut and gloss and the top coat for protection.or the meguairs marine cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by solar07 View Post
    I am trying to fully comprehend.. So is your recommendation to go with a 2000-2500 grit sandpaper then to do a compound such as Sonax? Or sand and then straight to some other sort of polish?

What are you guys sealing it with after and how long before it needs sanding again?

Thank you all so much so far...
    you should never sand it again,keep on top of it with some collinite 845.This rv is going to a consignment up for sale so my job is to make it shine and dont go crazy with durability lsp products.

Post Thanks / Like

I can send you some pics when I'm done.

Post Thanks / Like

you should never sand it again,keep on top of it with some collinite 845.This rv is going to a consignment up for sale so my job is to make it shine and dont go crazy with durability lsp products.
    Great info. When you say stay on top of it, how often do you recommend?

As for the sanding, what is your queue for when an area has been sanded enough that the fade and dead has been taken care of? Wish one of you knowledgeable folks was in Ohio.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast