autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got my first Rupes!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Thanks dlc95, I think I'll finally pick some of these pads up here soon. Was thinking about the low pros but might as well go with what these others are trying to emulate.

I have the Duetto and tried out Optimum's micro fiber cut and polish pads. They have a small but soft foam interface and I think the Duetto, or my inexperience, is to much for them. The Rupes seem to look a bit sturdier and am sure the cooling slots would also help keep them cooler.

Do you switch BPs when going from the foam to micro fiber?
    I'm a system guy when it comes to the Rupes. I've tried - and liked my green and blue Buff and Shine foams, but the performance of their system, when used together is tough to beat.

I don't switch backing plates at this time, but I would of I had one.

On a side note, when you remove the back plate for cleaning and maintenance, keep the plate/shroud lubricated with a light application of electrical grease. I tore up my shroud by not doing this after cleaning, and now it spins like it has a washer mod! It's cool, but I like using it as it was intended from the manufacturer. I find that if I get too much rotation, it heats up the compound, and dries it up too quickly. It also makes it more difficult to clean on the fly, it'a like the heat has an adverse effect on the microfiber / Zephir combination. Because of the increased lateral motion, faster rotation isn't as critical in their system. They've found a way to integrate the throw / rotation, and calibrate it for maximum performance. That's my guess anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the info and tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    Any particular reason you prefer the 15? Beside it being better In tighter spaces.

Or the 5.5 6 inch pads ?
    A number of things, size of the pads is a consideration, but I do believe the 15 gets underestimated in cutting power. Thats not to say that the 21 isn't the king of correction, but the gap between the two is much smaller than most people realize. The 15 loses the stroke battle, but it makes it up some of that deficit in speed.

Ultimately, if I need maximum correcting power its hard not to grab the 21, but in more moderate correction situations the 15 has more than enough power to get the job done and is a little more versatile thanks to the pad size. Also, consider that its not just the size of the pad that you're contending with. The additional orbit size means that you're covering a larger area - advantageous in large areas, but in tighter spaces a drawback.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the blue, green, and white foam pads and the blue and yellow mf pads with corresponding polishes and the results are amazing so thank you all for recommending using the whole system it was worth it. I had difficulty at first with the blue pad being stiff and not conforming to the panel which slung some compound but that was user error I think and after using it for a while it was a non issue. I will be getting the ibrid next once it becomes available!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! The way your title reads it sounds like you may getting another!
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwwhite1 View Post
    I got the blue, green, and white foam pads and the blue and yellow mf pads with corresponding polishes and the results are amazing so thank you all for recommending using the whole system it was worth it. I had difficulty at first with the blue pad being stiff and not conforming to the panel which slung some compound but that was user error I think and after using it for a while it was a non issue. I will be getting the ibrid next once it becomes available!
    Our foam composition does require a bit of adjustment to technique, but once you dial it in the results are great. The two pads you didn't list (yellow and gray) are actually my favorites... next time you're ready to stock up give them a try - you'll be happy you did.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    Our foam composition does require a bit of adjustment to technique, but once you dial it in the results are great. The two pads you didn't list (yellow and gray) are actually my favorites... next time you're ready to stock up give them a try - you'll be happy you did.
    Hey Dylan. There have been talks of the duetto being attached with the 3 inch lhr75e plate?

What is your take on this? I find it a little crazy that the kamikazze plate is 100 dollars lol id rather fork up the extra 200 and just get the machine.

However some people said they are the same machie wattage throw etc.

Any info is appreciated as i am buying a mini soon.

However if i could buy theduetto and get away with a 3 inch plate n swap i would like that versatility.

I know there is a shroud on the duetto but with a washer mod will that bypass the shroud.

Wanted to hear your input thanks

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think is the primary adjustment -- just use less and let it self prime?
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dylan. There have been talks of the duetto being attached with the 3 inch lhr75e plate?

What is your take on this? I find it a little crazy that the kamikazze plate is 100 dollars lol id rather fork up the extra 200 and just get the machine.

However some people said they are the same machie wattage throw etc.

Any info is appreciated as i am buying a mini soon.

However if i could buy theduetto and get away with a 3 inch plate n swap i would like that versatility.
    The duetto and the mini share a common chassis, but they are not the same machine. The same way the 15 and the 21 share a chassis.

That being said - could you put a mini plate on the duetto? Certainly. We wouldn't recommend it from a factory perspective b/c it throws the tool out of balance. Again, people already do this with the 15 backing plate on the 21 - possible? Yes. Recommended? No.

I can see the appeal for some people to have that versatility between the two tools, but in the end the reason you pay a premium for a RUPES polisher is in part the balance and low vibration. Making changes that upset that balance is an individual decision - is it worth saving the purchase of a 2nd dedicated machine at the sacrifice of operator experience? Thats a question best left to the individual.

I know there is a shroud on the duetto but with a washer mod will that bypass the shroud.

Wanted to hear your input thanks
    I haven't personally investigated it, but in theory, yes. Anything you add to that part of the tools is going to increase that spacing, remove the drag from the shroud and increase spin.

FWIW - the mini does not have a shroud.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    What do you think is the primary adjustment -- just use less and let it self prime?
    It (for me) centers mostly on the rigidity of the foams. The priming step serves to actually soften up the structure a little. If you've worked with the UHS pad or the coarse pad at any point you'll notice how different they feel pre- and post priming step.

Theres also just an overall adjustment to technique that I see most people need to make when they first start using RUPES after coming from a more traditional small orbit tool (PC or similar) and thats the downward pressure.

For so long everyone was coached to apply pressure to slow the tool - the pressure needed with bigfoot is so much less than what people are used to it feels unnatural to start. With the balance that comes with using our system with the tool the pressure to stabilize the tool is reduced so moreso than any other combination I feel I'm steering the tool more than I'm pressing.

Post Thanks / Like

For so long everyone was coached to apply pressure to slow the tool - the pressure needed with bigfoot is so much less than what people are used to it feels unnatural to start. With the balance that comes with using our system with the tool the pressure to stabilize the tool is reduced so moreso than any other combination I feel I'm steering the tool more than I'm pressing.
    This is why I liked the flex. You just hold it flat and it will do good work. No worry about balancing the pressure (down) and maintaining rotation. It could be "pushed" but it will do much without the balancing act with a smaller throw nonforced DA.

I have only used the Rupes a couple times for any correction and just picked up some Rupes foam pads.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast