autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dumb for first polisher?

I know most people, or atleast a decent amount of people start off with a PC or a Griots or maybe even now the new Meguiars polisher. I want to purchase my first polisher soon and have been doing a lot of research. I was set on getting the Griots for their wonderful lifetime warranty BUT after seeing on YouTube the new Rupes coming out I instantly wondered. I see a lot of great remarks when it comes to Rupes, so my thought was why not start off on the perfect machine? so my question to you guys is; is it dumb of me to start off on a Rupes? Should I go the route most people have with a PC or something in that nature?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dumb for first polisher?

If you are confident that detailing is something that you will continue to do long term (I think you are since you've been a member since 2009), I would definitely recommend going with a high quality polisher like the Flex or Rupes. No need to buy something twice. Plus, even if you decide that you aren't going to keep detailing or you decide you can't justify the price, you would have zero problem selling either of those polishers on the used market without losing much money.

Neither is inherently more difficult to use than the Griot's polisher. So no, it's not dumb to start with something as nice as the Rupes.

Post Thanks / Like

How in the World did you hold out since 2009 without buying a polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do or consider anything until after SEMA is over.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

In many of our lives, there are sometimes a good many of number of things we can never buy or own. $50K Ranger Bass Boats, $100K BMW's or Porsche's, $700K Homes, etc.

But we can of course dream, and have aspirations-hopes.

Something like the Rupes, or other high quality DA's are not unrealistic, or not so overly expensive that an average Joe cannot afford, even on a meager salary. Just might take a bit longer to save those pennies and dimes is all.

Just like the old Beach Boy's Tune, "409".

I'd say you'd be making no mistake with the Rupes. I'll maybe even one day own one myself, if my PC 7424XP ever bites the bullet, I think the Rupes would be one very good way to go.

If you want something, and want it bad enough, it never is uually good to settle for something less.

It's like walking into a chevy dealer with the intentions of buying a brand new Corvette, and coming out with a Malibu instead, you'll kick yourself for a long long time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    How in the World did you hold out since 2009 without buying a polisher?
    Lol been a long time since I joined. I first joined this website and wasn't really active to much. Then I started getting active, and when I was ready to get my first polisher I ended up getting into a bad car accident which totaled my car. After that happen I was a little shooked up and didn't drive for a little. Finally got back into a car, and what do you know someone hit me again and totaled that car as well. Then had 4 knee surgeries all at different times through out the years which prevented me from doing and detail work. Now that I have my truck and good to go (cross fingers) I'm ready to jump in full speed!

Post Thanks / Like

I got the PC, and if I end up starting to do more paint corrections, I'm going to invest in a flex. The PC is nice, but I really should have gone for the forced rotation.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait around until after SEMA. There may be some good deals on the first gen Rupes machines if some detailers decide to trade up to the Mark II.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're only going to have one then get the Griot's. It gives you plenty of power and the option of 3", 4", and 5" backing plates.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    If you're only going to have one then get the Griot's. It gives you plenty of power and the option of 3", 4", and 5" backing plates.
    My feelings too. Plenty of power, versatility and a lifetime guarantee to match. When adding a superior machine, the GG6 is a hell of an accompaniment and back up. Good luck & take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast