autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dumb for first polisher?

The PC 7424xp puts food on the table over here, more often than the 3401, or Duetto. It's a little champ.

The GG6 seems to be a better deal though, considering the amount of strength it has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buddy01 View Post
    I know most people, or atleast a decent amount of people start off with a PC or a Griots or maybe even now the new Meguiars polisher. I want to purchase my first polisher soon and have been doing a lot of research. I was set on getting the Griots for their wonderful lifetime warranty BUT after seeing on YouTube the new Rupes coming out I instantly wondered. I see a lot of great remarks when it comes to Rupes, so my thought was why not start off on the perfect machine? so my question to you guys is; is it dumb of me to start off on a Rupes? Should I go the route most people have with a PC or something in that nature?
    Any orbital polisher is going to be a great choice for a first polisher. The question ultimately becomes how much growth are you going to do (that is, 1 car every once in a while or will you start doing work on the side and making a few dollars).

The original Porter Cable is still an amazingly capable machine in the right hands, and it only gets stronger from there.

In the RUPES' world we have two tools that offer BigFoot's already legendary durability, smoothness and performance whilst being ideal for the first timer.

1) The Duetto - this is a super balanced, super smooth, super powerful random orbital that is built on a Porter Cable - like chassis. The 12 mm throw and 6-inch pads make it easy to fit into just about any area.

2) The (upcoming) Mark II LHR 15ES - The high RPM ceiling, large throw (15 mm) and high torque capacity of the Mark II make it a tool that you can grow into. This is a beast that is capable of removing P1500 sanding scratches quickly (from most paints) but it is easy to use, nearly vibration free (used with RUPES pads), and has loads of power.

You cannot go wrong with either polisher. It's more of a choice of what is better for you.

Post Thanks / Like

If the money isn't an issue go with the Rupes. It will make you fall in love with detailing in a whole new way.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

if you don't do many cars or just the families and maybe a few friends then buying a $350 polisher may not be a wise choice. i've said it many times, but every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one traditional PC-style DA and with that said the GG6 (it's been used and proven by many) is a great choice. packs plenty of torque/power, excellent (no nonsense) customer service (GG is known for), and phenomenal warranty. with the plethora of pads/backing plates and polishes/compounds out these days (technology keeps advancing as well) there isn't much that it can't handle. if it breaks down after the other's (competition) warranties expire (usually only 1 year), no problem GG they will take care of you...

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinishingTouchA View Post
    If the money isn't an issue go with the Rupes. It will make you fall in love with detailing in a whole new way.
    Yes, but he'll need a second polisher to get in smaller areas too.

If money is an issue remember that money saved from buying a more expensive machine can also be used to buy more products (you'll need at least 4 pads for every step).
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you don't do many cars or just the families and maybe a few friends then buying a $350 polisher may not be a wise choice. i've said it many times, but every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one traditional PC-style DA and with that said the GG6 (it's been used and proven by many) is a great choice. packs plenty of torque/power, excellent (no nonsense) customer service (GG is known for), and phenomenal warranty. with the plethora of pads/backing plates and polishes/compounds out these days (technology keeps advancing as well) there isn't much that it can't handle. if it breaks down after the other's (competition) warranties expire (usually only 1 year), no problem GG they will take care of you...

With the money you save you can get pads, polishes, waxes you will need to do your detailing.

If you get the detailing bug like the rest of us this hobby can get expensive

Goog Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post

This makes so much sense for someone just starting out. You can equip the GG6 with 5" and 3.5" backing plates and handle all areas of a vehicle. Then later if you really like machine polishing add something more like the Boss or Rupes machines and use the GG6 with the 3.5" backing plate for the small areas. As others have mentioned you need to get multiple pads (4-6) for each step (cutting, polishing, finishing, applying LSP), polishes and compounds, towels etc etc so add $250-300 to the cost of the polisher to get yourself started.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pc a flex 3401 and a Rupes 21. I generally only work on my cars and occasionally those of friends. I ended up putting a smaller backing plate in the pc as I rarely used it after I got the Rupes and the flex. I love the Rupes and that is the tool I reach for first but it does bog down on curves ans side panels. The flex is a workhorse. Nothing slows it down. I do like the Rupes pads and compound polish options. Best of luck. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I hear that the Rupes will cut your correction time in half? Any truth in this? Would the GG6 also do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Every_detail View Post
    I hear that the Rupes will cut your correction time in half? Any truth in this? Would the GG6 also do this?
    yes, it has 2-3 times more (throw) coverage but it shouldn't be your only DA. the GG6 can be equipped with different size backing plates so you can cover more areas on the car. money being no issue the GG6 and G15/21 would be an excellent combo, otherwise the GG6 can do it just as well but with a little more time. if i were only doing a few cars a year (including family) then there would be no reason to buy a more expensive polisher when the GG6 can do it all...
    i am the jump starter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast