autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes 21 polisher, ISSUE!!!!!!!!?????????

Just purchased a brand new rupes 21 from AG and used it for the first time this weekend....

I am having an issue with it....

As soon as I turned it out and started on a test spot on the hood I noticed all these little black specs starting to show up all over the hood... Come to find out it looks to be rubber form the rubber top side of the backing plate....

Anyone else experienced this before? I used it a little bit more thinking ti would go away but still get the black little specs all over the car.....

I tried to spin the wheel to see if it moved freely and it does seem a little stiff or tight. It does still move but doesn't spin like my GG6 does....

Any info would be much appreciated... I plan to call AG about the issue tomorrow...

Really not happy right now with the unit after dropping 400 bucks for it...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes 21 polisher, ISSUE!!!!!!!!?????????

No, sorry, i dont have that issue with mine. I performed the KB washer method to distance the backing plate from that rubber drag brake.
    However, try taking off the backing plate and carefully study how the backing plate mates to the rupes. The backing plate can be put on wrong. Yours might be. I found it a little annoying that rupes does not give the operator the option of locking the rupes spindle when trying to keep it still/ from spinning/moving while the backing plate is installed.
    PLease keep this thread updated. I want to know how customer service handles this issue.

Post Thanks / Like

You need the washer mod it's rubbing and the black protector. You can get a washer from Kevin Brown it's free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    You need the washer mod it's rubbing and the black protector. You can get a washer from Kevin Brown it's free.

Really I need a washer to fix my $400 tool? For that cost of the tool I'd expect it to be test and working perfectly before I event receive it.

But if that is what I have to do then so be it.

How do I get in contact with the Kevin Brown guy?
    got a e-mail or phone number?

Thanks for the info.

I will keep this thread updated as I find out what happens.

Still plan to call AG about the issue....

Post Thanks / Like

you would like a kb washer method, but back to my question. Are you willing to remove the backing plate and re-install itperfectly only to then see if customer service really needs to be called. Something's telling me that your backing plate is on cock-eyed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    you would like a kb washer method, but back to my question. Are you willing to remove the backing plate and re-install itperfectly only to then see if customer service really needs to be called. Something's telling me that your backing plate is on cock-eyed.
    I am willing to mess with it myself but not if its going to be a issue with returning it or swapping it out for another....

From the feedback I am getting it sounds like ill be needing that washer.
    Just really dissapointed that I need to hassle with modding a polisher after paying top dollar for a so-called best money can buy currently....

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401!! It's all you need.

Sorry to hear about your luck - my Rupes LHR15 just died a couple weeks ago. Who knows, maybe it's a fluke but I'm less than impressed.
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Short View Post
    Just purchased a brand new rupes 21 from AG and used it for the first time this weekend....

I am having an issue with it....

As soon as I turned it out and started on a test spot on the hood I noticed all these little black specs starting to show up all over the hood... Come to find out it looks to be rubber form the rubber top side of the backing plate....

Anyone else experienced this before? I used it a little bit more thinking ti would go away but still get the black little specs all over the car.....

I tried to spin the wheel to see if it moved freely and it does seem a little stiff or tight. It does still move but doesn't spin like my GG6 does....

Any info would be much appreciated... I plan to call AG about the issue tomorrow...

Really I need a washer to fix my $400 tool? For that cost of the tool I'd expect it to be test and working perfectly before I event receive it.

But if that is what I have to do then so be it.

How do I get in contact with the Kevin Brown guy?
    got a e-mail or phone number?

Thanks for the info.

I will keep this thread updated as I find out what happens.

Still plan to call AG about the issue....
    I am willing to mess with it myself but not if its going to be a issue with returning it or swapping it out for another....

From the feedback I am getting it sounds like ill be needing that washer.
    Just really dissapointed that I need to hassle with modding a polisher after paying top dollar for a so-called best money can buy currently....
    There is no reason that a $400 machine should be modified for it to work properly.

Hopefully you can get this sorted without having to modify it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need a washer mod. To say you need that so "pieces" don't fly out of the machine is not correct.

My guess is the "pieces" that are flying out are flecks of dried grease that is factory installed between the BP. It's a very light coat.

The BP is meant not to free spin - the BP doesn't dig into the machine; washer mod or not. The Rupes is a pretty high quality machine - let's get this sorted.

Can you show us some pics?

Mike Phillips

First, the little black residue is just some break in from where the rubber shroud rubs against the backing plate. It won't harm anything nor affect the quality of the tool.

I've actually never seen where this issue continues?

Rupes does not recommend installing the washer between the spindle and the backing plate. This is a tweak of the tool Kevin Brown came up with to take the Rupes engineered design of putting some drag against the backing plate (to provide 50% oscillation and 50% rotation), and remove the drag factor.

By installing the washer you lose the drag and lose oscillation while increasing rotation.

I'm not weighing in whether this is a good idea or a bad idea as forum consensus has already been formed and one thing I've learned after typing on detailing forums for 20 years now is that once the Genie is out of the bottle it's hard to put him back in.

I've been to Rupes in Italy, was their guest at their National Sales Meeting. Was invited to participate in their discussions as well as test out new products. Here's three threads I created after my trip.

Meet Guido Valentini the Presidente of Rupes

Top Secret Pictures – How Rupes Bigfoot Polishers are made!

Rupes Bigfoot Orbital Polishers Virtual Museum Tour - Milan, Italy

Rupes is a top notch company and make high quality tools.

If you install the washer mod that's up to you. I'm just telling you the official Rupes position on this topic.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast