autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting power of the rupes?

I want to purchase a rupes polisher. Still torn on the 15 or 21. Reading the posts fellow members have made has made this decision so hard. So many people have such good insight on each one. Since I still am torn on which one to get, my main question is will both of these polishers have more cutting power than the porter cable? I mostly use 5.5 inch pads except on the roof and hood of my car. I just want to speed up my detailing time a bit. I do other cars for friends and starting to branch out to other people for side jobs. I mainly just do 1 car a weekend for a little extra spending cash but need a way to speed up the time

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting power of the rupes?

it is a night a day difference between the PC and the Rupes. i dont own, but i have used it, and the only thing i will tell you is that if you get the Rupes, get the complete system. get the machine, pads and polishes. use the system and you will see a dramatic difference from the PC

Post Thanks / Like

have you given the flex a thought as well? it has interchangeable backing plate system and you can use a variety of pads from 4"-6.5" to tackle every inch of the vehicle and did i mention it's a workhorse? there's pretty much nothing it can't handle, especially gieven the plethora of different pads and products out these days...

Post Thanks / Like

Get a Flex 3401 VRG I still have my PC 7424 XP but use it very little. Once you get a Flex which is the ONLY FORCED ROTATION DA and more powerful than any other free floating DA...PERIOD. Once you try out a Flex 3401 VRG you will never go back to a free floating DA. Additionally, the Flex is less expensive, there are more backing plates for it, there are more pad options from 4" to 6.5" and you do not "eat" the pads that are not designed by Rupes. Every other pad not made by Rupes tends to either lose their backing or the pads get ripped because of the rotation being to aggressive for those pads.

If it were me look into a Flex before spending $$ on a Rupes.

I will probably cause a stink now, however, this is MY OPINION.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Get a Flex 3401 VRG I still have my PC 7424 XP but use it very little. Once you get a Flex which is the ONLY FORCED ROTATION DA and more powerful than any other free floating DA...PERIOD. Once you try out a Flex 3401 VRG you will never go back to a free floating DA. Additionally, the Flex is less expensive, there are more backing plates for it, there are more pad options from 4" to 6.5" and you do not "eat" the pads that are not designed by Rupes. Every other pad not made by Rupes tends to either lose their backing or the pads get ripped because of the rotation being to aggressive for those pads.

Amen. Flex xc 3401 vrg! Love it!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting power of the rupes?

Rupes all the way. Once you master the operation of the machine, you will find that it will cut every bit as well as the 3401.

The forced rotation of the Flex is way overrated. The complaints of lack of rotation on the Rupes are from people who are either using the wrong Rupes for the job, or have not learned how to properly use the machine.

And this coming from someone who sold their 3401 and now has a LHR21ES, Duetto and 75e mini.

7. Likes Joel1979 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going from a pc, I'd recommend the Rupes. They are very smooth. However, if you ever plan on doing heavy correction or wet sanding, go with Flex. I personally like to have as many tools as I can to do whatever job arises. I have PC 7424xp, cyclo 2nd gen, GG 6, Makita 9227, Dewalt 849, Flex 3401, Rupes 15, Rupes 75 mini. Kinda like pads and micros, You can never have enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Going from a pc, I'd recommend the Rupes. They are very smooth. However, if you ever plan on doing heavy correction or wet sanding, go with Flex. I personally like to have as many tools as I can to do whatever job arises. I have PC 7424xp, cyclo 2nd gen, GG 6, Makita 9227, Dewalt 849, Flex 3401, Rupes 15, Rupes 75 mini. Kinda like pads and micros, You can never have enough.

Which rotary do you use more often? Makita or DeWalt?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

i disagree. i love and still use my DA's (GG6, G110) and wouldn't be without them. everyone should own at least one traditional style DA, it's versatile and can be used in many different situations. yes, you're entitled to your opinion as am i...

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is for you to take a look at an answer I wrote on using the Rupes 21 and the Flex 3401 regarding use of Rupes pads and Menzerna polishes (included many pics).

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1114980

Cutting Power? Impressive. The tool is a pleasure to use. But you have to work your way to learn using it properly, to achieve optimum results.

I'm not ashamed of assuming I've faced pad stalling even on flat panels on my first passes, totally my fault. Work your way to perfect technique, and you'll be amazed like I am. I can't stress enough how much I've liked the Rupes mechanism.

But I still have the Flex, and use it always as well.

Best wishes, good luck on your search.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast