autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Machine Apply Wax w/Rupes?

Is the Rupes 21 good for applying liquid wax? If so, which pads should I get?

My waxes are...
    Mothers California Gold Pure Carnuaba Wax Liquid
    Meg's NXT 2.0 Tech Liquid

Or are more traditional DA's like GG6 or G110w2 better for machine wax application?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Machine Apply Wax w/Rupes?

I've been using my GG6 for applying Fleetwax. I haven't used a lot of "boutique" waxes as many here have so my impression of Fleetwax (Collinite 476 in a big tub) is from others' opinions that it is tougher to apply and remove.

I simply take a MF applicator pad, rub some on the car, then use my GG6 to hit it on a low speed to thin it out. I use a red applicator (LC CCS red 5.5").

Even applying by hand I just put it on thin. Either way works. the GG application method just helps save the shoulders for removal of the wax - which isn't a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gokite View Post
    I've been using my GG6 for applying Fleetwax. I haven't used a lot of "boutique" waxes as many here have so my impression of Fleetwax (Collinite 476 in a big tub) is from others' opinions that it is tougher to apply and remove.

I simply take a MF applicator pad, rub some on the car, then use my GG6 to hit it on a low speed to thin it out. I use a red applicator (LC CCS red 5.5").

Even applying by hand I just put it on thin. Either way works. the GG application method just helps save the shoulders for removal of the wax - which isn't a big deal.
    Thats cool & all man but I'm asking about applying wax with a Rupes lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using 3 DA's and I use each one depending how I feel or if the wax container is too small and I need a 3". What I can tell you is that I will never wax by hand/foam again.

I will use a foam applicator for the hard to reach places and put a wax on.

The 3 DA's I have are the Flex 3401 VRG (my favorite), The PC 7424 XP and the Griot's 3" (used for soft waxes and the containers are about 3.5 - 4" in circumference.

I use the Red or Gold or Black pad on any of the DA's. IMO, the wax is applied more uniformly and you can get a longer amount of wax applied than by hand.

As for your Rupes, it will be no problem at all. Additionally, you are putting on liquid wax, that will be very easy.

I use the hard wax (Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax) and it is easy to tip the jar onto the pad a blip the trigger to get wax on the pad. As for the soft wax (Zymol Concours Wax) I use the 3" Griot's and put the pad into the jar and blip the trigger.

Once the wax is on the pad it is real easy to apply. I put the speed settings on my DA as follows: Flex speed 1.5/PC7424 XP speed 3/Griot's 3" speed 3.

Niko I highly recommend you try it and once you get use to waxing with a DA, I am almost 99% sure you will never go back to hand or foam applicator (except for the hard to reach areas that a DA can't).

When you do it please do an update. BTW, your Rupes is a beast of a DA and will rock it when you do!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use my Rupes 15 for paint correction and my GG6 for applying sealants and waxes. But that's just me trying to get good use out of both.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why you can't use, just beware of the technique to spread wax.

I mean, you may use a finishing, soft pad. You don't need lots of speed on the dial, and pad rotation in this stage is not so much important like on polishing steps, but it's desirable to keep pad rotating in order to make an even spread.

Use low speeds like 2-4, you can make fast arm movements (just don't go crazy about it), do always your best to evenly spread a thin, uniform layer.

To achieve best uniformity, you may do ~3 passes per section.

Get the wax from the jar (with an applicator if it's paste) and spread on the pad you'll be using (some on the car if needed), then use the machine to spread wax over finish.

Sorry if I missed something, in a hurry right now.

Come back later for more if needed,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Niko Molina View Post
    Thats cool & all man but I'm asking about applying wax with a Rupes lol
    Yes, you can apply with rupes. I've used liquid soverign before with no issues. Are you worried about the large throw of the rupes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercraft241 View Post
    Yes, you can apply with rupes. I've used liquid soverign before with no issues. Are you worried about the large throw of the rupes?

Yes. And the fact that theyre "random" throws. DA's like GG6 & G110w2 go in the same direction all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Niko Molina View Post
    Yes. And the fact that theyre "random" throws. DA's like GG6 & G110w2 go in the same direction all the time.

Niko I would not worry at all. You should be fine putting wax on with your Rupes. Just make sure your speed setting is not on high. On my PC 7424 XP, I have the speed setting at 3. When I use the Flex 3401 VRG I use setting 1.5. I would assume you would set yours somewhere around there.

Since you are waxing not polishing you can move significantly faster. You want to cover the panel a bit faster than if you are correcting. You will get a feel after practice.

IMO, I think your Rupes will do an awesome job regardless of how high the throws are from the DA. I look at it this way...if you can polish with your Rupes you will have no problem waxing with it either.

IMO I have never used a Rupes I am happy with my Flex. However, based on threads and opinions on this site; the Flex and the Rupes are the top dogs when it comes to DA's....everything else is a distant 2nd

Post Thanks / Like

Use the white finishing pad for your wax/sealant application. Again really slow speeds 1-3 and go nuts!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast