autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes pads...which to get

I'm about to take ownership of the Rupes 21. I also ordered the 5" Rupes backing plate. I have a question. Just a bit of history. I don't do paint correction for a living and have no desire to do so, just on my fleet of vehicles; 3-4. Two of the vehicles are only 1 years old (already corrected the paints) and my Cobra is a '95. In other words, I don't have cars with jacked up paint.

If I were to get only 2 type of Rupes pads (i.e. color), which 2 colors should I get? I want to get about 3-4 of each pad size and color.

Thanks...Al
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Mike Phillips

Re: Rupes pads...which to get

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I'm about to take ownership of the Rupes 21. I also ordered the 5" Rupes backing plate. I have a question. Just a bit of history. I don't do paint correction for a living and have no desire to do so, just on my fleet of vehicles; 3-4. Two of the vehicles are only 1 years old (already corrected the paints) and my Cobra is a '95. In other words, I don't have cars with jacked up paint.

If I were to get only 2 type of Rupes pads (i.e. color), which 2 colors should I get? I want to get about 3-4 of each pad size and color.

Thanks...Al
    I would go blue cutting and yellow polishing and get the matching Rupes products.

The blue cutting pad and matching compound will tackle anything you need to correct the yellow polishing pad and matching fine cut polish will clean up anything left by the compounding process and leave the paint LSP ready.

Lots of pictures of pads and products plus the links to get them here,

The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I will check them out.

Mike, what's your thoughts on the Rupes white pad?
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Post Thanks / Like

I need a little help hear to ensure I get the proper sized Rupes pads. I have the 21 on the way, including the 5" plate. They are listed on AG as 6 and 7" pads, however, I reviewed Kevin Brown's page, which has a drawing with the dimensions of the pads. Do I go by the bottom (attaching point) or top (pad face) measurement to determine the correct sized pads?

Pad measurements:

5" pad
    bottom is 130mm (5") this attaches to plate
    top is 150mm (6")

AG has this pad listed as a 6" pad:
    Rupes 150 mm (6 inch) Yellow Polishing Foam Pad

6" pad
    bottom is 155mm (6") this attaches to plate.
    top is 180mm (7")

AG has this pad listed as a 7" pad:
    Rupes 180 mm (7 inch) Yellow Polishing Foam Pad

So, are these 5 and 6" inch pads or 6 and 7" pads?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The bigger is for the standard 21 BP and the smaller is for the 5" BP

Sent from my Alien Ship

Post Thanks / Like

Get both of the Rupes Microfiber pads.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post

Mike, what's your thoughts on the Rupes white pad?
    It's a great finishing pad especially when paired with the Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine Cut Polish for doing your finishing work.

Works great with other fine cut and ultra fine cut polishes and also for machine applying finishing waxes and finishing sealants.

If you look at most of the projects we work on here you'll mostly see us using the 4" white Rupes pad to apply waxes. Like this,

I never do any paint polishing work by hand unless it's absolutely necessary.

Machine trumps Human every time.

Completely Waxed...

Completely unwaxed...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    The bigger is for the standard 21 BP and the smaller is for the 5" BP

Sent from my Alien Ship
    Thanks that makes it really simple to remember. I figured that, but needed confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    Get both of the Rupes Microfiber pads.
    I like to foam pads. Maybe in the future I will try one of them to see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    It's a great finishing pad especially when paired with the Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine Cut Polish for doing your finishing work.

Works great with other fine cut and ultra fine cut polishes and also for machine applying finishing waxes and finishing sealants.

If you look at most of the projects we work on here you'll mostly see us using the 4" white Rupes pad to apply waxes. Like this,

I never do any paint polishing work by hand unless it's absolutely necessary.

Machine trumps Human every time...

Thanks. So, I think I'm set. To get started with my pad collection, I will get 1-2 cutting pads (no paint correction needed on the vehicles at the moment), 3-4 polishing pads (where I spend most of my time now) and maybe a couple finishing pads (want to see if I can get that extra umph out the paint). One day I will probably go with a 4" machine, too.

I agree I only use machines to do the heavy lifting. Now, I will assume that you wipe off the wax by hand though, right.

I see how everyone stepped back and just admired the beauty of their work. It's a good feeling, especially when you finish all that hard work.

Thanks everyone...Al