autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Polisher Time Lapse Video - 1955 Ford Crown Victoria

Mike, Thanks as always for the quick informative reply!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CWallace View Post
    Mike, Thanks as always for the quick informative reply!
    Thanks Mike and I see what you mean about the blue pad taking a beating with the pictures you posted.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Thoryamaha919 View Post
    Thanks Mike and I see what you mean about the blue pad taking a beating with the pictures you posted.

I kind of figured they would take a beating from the large open cell structure of the foam and the coarse feel when you hold them in your hand. My guess is this foam formula works best with their compound and the orbit stroke of their machine as explained to me by Marco from Rupes.

I could be this is pushing foam technology to it's limit for at least the cutting or correction step. The other foam formulas really held up well.

I'm confident Rupes management will see and read this thread and my goal is to always share feedback about product experience in an honest yet helpful manner to help companies improve their product line.

Sometimes you reach the upper levels for technology and that could be the case here but most companies I've worked with over the years are always pushing the envelope and there always working on the next evolution in they products and systems.

Seen a lot of cool product introduced in the last few years and that's what's so cool about discussion forums in that it's usually on forums where news is breaking first.

Post Thanks / Like

So the size/weight of these machines is the same? What is the weight? I don't see it on the product page.

Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the Rupes21. I had the opportunity to play with the 15 and 21 before I had to decide on which one to purchase. I choose the R21 for it's long stroke/correcting ability. For short stroke work and for applying glazes, wax or sealants I decided to stick with my old school traditional dual action polishers such as my Meguiars G110v2 or Porter Cable DA polisher. For me the Rupes 15 and 21 and too big and heavy for applying wax/sealants which I like to do one handed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@Superior Shine View Post
    I love the Rupes21. I had the opportunity to play with the 15 and 21 before I had to decide on which one to purchase. I choose the R21 for it's long stroke/correcting ability. For short stroke work and for applying glazes, wax or sealants I decided to stick with my old school traditional dual action polishers such as my Meguiars G110v2 or Porter Cable DA polisher. For me the Rupes 15 and 21 and too big and heavy for applying wax/sealants which I like to do one handed.
    Thanks for that input Joe!
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@Superior Shine View Post

For short stroke work and for applying glazes, wax or sealants I decided to stick with my old school traditional dual action polishers such as my Meguiars G110v2 or Porter Cable DA polisher.

For me the Rupes 15 and 21 and too big and heavy for applying wax/sealants which I like to do one handed.

And I agree, I prefer to apply all my products by machine, partly because I think the machine does the job faster and better but also because a part of me is lazy. The small size of the PC makes it great for machine applying waxes to verticle sides with one hand or for reaching out to the middle of roofs, trunks and hoods for large cars like this old Ford.

I used the Rupes LHR75 Mini Polisher with a 4" pad because I could easily get the pad into the jar and it actually worked pretty good. I think a 5 to 6 inch pad works better overall for machine applying waxes and paint sealants but the 4" pad wasn't bad at all.

Of course I could have knocked the wax out of the jar and then applied the wax to the face of the Rupes foam finishing pad I was under a time crunch.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    So the size/weight of these machines is the same? What is the weight? I don't see it on the product page.

When I weighed the 21 without a pad on the backing plate and including the power cord it weighed 6.4 pounds.

When I weighted the 15 without a pad on the backing plate and including the power cord, it weighed 6.2 pounds.

The difference is probably all in the size and mass of the backing plate. (Just a guess)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    When I weighed the 21 without a pad on the backing plate and including the power cord it weighed 6.4 pounds.

When I weighted the 15 without a pad on the backing plate and including the power cord, it weighed 6.2 pounds.

The difference is probably all in the size and mass of the backing plate. (Just a guess)
    The product page for the Flex says it weighs 5.73 lbs, so presuming we are apples-to-apples (backing plate and cord) these weigh in a bit heavier than the 3401.

Thanks for the info, Mike.

Mike Phillips

This was a cool car to work on and it's also the same model used on one of the new AG T-shirts.

Autogeek “Deserve The Best” T-Shirt

On Autogeek.net

While supplies last...

Autogeek “Deserve The Best” T-Shirt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast