autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

An online personality that I respect once said "words mean things" so since I am very familiar with these terms I thought I would clarify the meaning.

I hear you Mike...

Words do mean things and you've probably seen me deal with this topic as much and even more than anyone over the years, not because I want to but because I've had to. And I don't mind because it's sharpened my thinking and writing skills.

My "forum style" of writing besides presenting "how-to" information also includes what I call defensive writing and what I mean by that is if I post something to a public forum, I've already look at it inside and out and made sure I can defend it from attack because there's always that handful of people with an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

It wasn't my intent to nitpick; I'm sorry if it came across that way
    Didn't come across that way to me and in fact it's great to have people on the forum like yourself with their own areas of expertise to chime in and maintain accuracy.

Thank you...

Big picture from this segment of discussion in this thread is to make sure you have the proper air power for air powered tool.

Now... back on topic...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Just some suggestions Mark...

I still stand by what I said. I think it will prove true in the future from other users, but, I also understand where you're coming from as well.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post

I still stand by what I said. I think it will prove true in the future from other users, but, I also understand where you're coming from as well.

Well please do consider starting your own thread when you want to publicly provide a company with your opinions and feedback. Especially when you're so passionate about it.

I sent all my contacts at Rupes the link to this thread. So they will see all the comments and feedback and get to know everyone from their forum names and what they have to say.

Now can we put this thread back on topic as this thread is about the polishers and the system, not just a single component of the system.

Thank you ahead of time...

Post Thanks / Like

I just received mine on Monday. I am very satisfied
    Restyle Refinish - Vehicle wraps - Auto detailing - Wheel Repair - Touch Up

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike. So i skimmed through the thread quite thoroughy, i have been searching for some time now basically since the rupes came out. I cannot find the info im looking for on any forum or through any youtube videos. if you can send me a link or discuss openly would be great. cant beleive i have not seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

Question
    First hand experience, understanding that every paint every car is different. What speeds are professionals using this machine at.

ex.
    Blue pad with zephir or with quarz
    Green pad with zephir or with quarz
    Yellow pad with quarz or keramik
    White pad with keramik or diamond

There has always been good discussion about proper finishing with d/a on high or low speed.

Now to give my first hand experience, i've worked on quite a few cars with the rupes so far. All with the lhr15 and i generally use these speeds.

Note. I dont have enough time in with the blue pad yet to really give accurate info but i am usually reluctant to use it and it is nasty aggressive. I find the green pad with zephir is usually as far as i make it down the aggressive scale before i'm happy with testing. I've merely used the blue pad with zephir just for the sake of trying the combo, and boy did it cut real good and real fast.

Speed settings i've had great results with.

Blue Pad with Zephir on 5/6
    Green Pad with Zephir on 4.5/6
    Green Pad Quarz on 5/6
    Yellow Pad with Quarz on 4 to 4.5/6
    Yellow pad with Keramik on 4.5 to 5/6
    White pad with keramik, all over the chart form 3 to 5/6
    White pad with diamond, again all over from 3 to 5/6

Thanks in advance
    Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike, great review of the rupes.. enjoy all the detailed info. I do have one question. I'm torn between the Rupes 21 and the flex 3401. If you had to use machine what would you grab and why?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eric M. View Post
    Hi Mike, great review of the rupes.. enjoy all the detailed info. I do have one question. I'm torn between the Rupes 21 and the flex 3401. If you had to use machine what would you grab and why?

Hi Eric,

Great question! And your first post!

I've never been on record stating there is such a thing as a single best tool. Not once.

Here's a question for you....

What kind of detailing work do you do right now?

A. Production Detailing - One and two-step procedures for a lower price point on primarily daily drivers.

B. Show Car Detailing - Multiple Step Procedures for a higher charge to the customer with primarily special interest cars.

Or, if you don't currently detail cars but are getting into this craft, what's your background experience and what type of market do you want to go after?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Xplosive Detail View Post

Speed settings i've had great results with.

Blue Pad with Zephir on 5/6
    Green Pad with Zephir on 4.5/6
    Green Pad Quarz on 5/6
    Yellow Pad with Quarz on 4 to 4.5/6
    Yellow pad with Keramik on 4.5 to 5/6
    White pad with keramik, all over the chart form 3 to 5/6
    White pad with diamond, again all over from 3 to 5/6

Thanks in advance
    Jonathan

I'd say I'm on the same page with you as to your speed settings except with the white pads and I'm still on the 5-6 speed settings. I find I really need to be at the higher speed settings to maintain good pad rotation especially if you are buffing any type of curved panels. If you're not trying to refine the paint after a previous step then you can bump down to slower speeds but this would also be akin to machine applying a finishing wax.

Since the Rupes polishers are not direct drive it is possible for the pad to slow rotation down when buffing on edges or curved panels, I pointed this out after the first car I buffed out with this tool, a 1955 Ford Crown Victoria. I also stated that it was key to focus on the task at hand and monitor pad rotation and adjust how you hold the body of the tool to keep the pad as flat as possible to the surface when buffing.

This is page 4 of my Crown Victoria write up...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ictoria-4.html

See my comments throughout the posts on the above page.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi Eric,

Great question! And your first post!

I've never been on record stating there is such a thing as a single best tool. Not once.

Here's a question for you....

What kind of detailing work do you do right now?

A. Production Detailing - One and two-step procedures for a lower price point on primarily daily drivers.

B. Show Car Detailing - Multiple Step Procedures for a higher charge to the customer with primarily special interest cars.

Or, if you don't currently detail cars but are getting into this craft, what's your background experience and what type of market do you want to go after?

Thanks for the quick reply. Wow!

I'd say its 80% daily drivers and 20% show cars. I've recently teamed up with a local automotive restorer so I expect the ratios to change slightly. I have a few years experience all on the PC and I'd like to think I have good technique. (Will post an intro with pics of my work). Hope that's enough info. Based on that criteria what would you purchase?

Thanks
    Eric

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    I am currently using a wet-sand then compound with a Flex rotary. 2-3 stage. Then da polish then seal or wax . Obviously this is the most aggressive possible, so can the rupes follow wet sanding? Also can it really replace the cutting power of a rotary? and lastly have you tested other compound lines with this tool? Meg., Menzerna.
    Thanks your the time you put into your write ups it is truly helpful.
    Owner of Akamai Detailing
    Oahu's Premier Mobile Detailing Service

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast