autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Splatter from nano using blue pad

Just got a new Nano short neck systainer kit. It had the old chemicals and pads. Nothing I tried with priming the blue pads kept it from horrible cast off splatter. Any tips to reduce/prevent it? Would getting the new blue pads help?

Mike Phillips

Re: Splatter from nano using blue pad

All you can do is cut down on the amount of product you use.

What I do and teach is called,

Finger Painting

I'll place a small pile of the product I'm going to use on a panel next to where I'm going to work and then I'll "dab" the pad into it and grab just a little product and then start working it.

Splatter is kind of normal and especially when you use the tool in ROTARY mode.

Make sense?

Hang tight, I have another version of finger painting I use and show others.

Mike Phillips

Here's my article,

Do this on a much smaller scale - apply a THIN FILM of product to the area you're going to work when using the RUPES Nano.

Finger Painting Technique when using a Rotary Buffer

I call this Finger Painting - It's where you take your product spreader and spread out a thin layer of compound or polish to,

A: Spread the product out over the section of paint to be buffed.

B: Lubricate the area being buffed.

Normally I use the 10 @ 10 Technique to lay down a bead of product directly onto the paint to be buffed but for tight areas like you see below, you want to lubricate the paint and even the pad because buffing out thin panels like this or buffing into tight areas will put a lot of cutting power into play.

It's all about getting a film of compound or polish on the paint you're going to buff as this film of product not only contains the abrasives to abrade the paint but the film also lubricates the paint and especially the edges to help prevent burn-through.

You can also apply some compound or polish to the outer edges of the pad and work this product into the fibers, (or work it into the foam if using a foam pad), to moisten and lubricate the outside edge of the pad.

Like shown here,

Rotary Buffer Tip - Prime the side edges of foam cutting pads

Just be careful when turning the polisher on as centrifugal force will kick in and you can sling any excess product out of the pad and onto surrounding areas and even your eyes.

4. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's a tip...

Take some tape and wrap it around the tool to hold the paddle on/off switch in the >on< position. Then you simply turn the SPEED DIAL on and off to turn the tool on or off. It's so much handier. Plus - the entire time you're using the tool you don't have to focus and concentrate on holding the paddle switch ON. Wait until you use this for a few hours and you'll see what I mean.

See how I've modded my Angry Nano and am using it in ROTARY mode?

Paint Correction - George Harrison's 1966 Ferrari 275 GTS - Pinnacle Jeweling Wax & Souveran Paste Wax

You'll also see I've removed the plastic shroud. The shroud is good when using either of the orbital functions but for the most part, I only use the Nano for rotary work and I find the shroud gets in my way. So I removed it and placed some painter's tape around the aluminum housing. Then when I use it I'm simply --> careful.

More...

Here's me using my angry nano in rotary mode on the INSIDE of a car. I was UBER careful not to get SPLATTER all over the electronics. I did this by using SMALL DABS of product plus a soft, GUSHY foam finishing pad.

Review: 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating

Not sure why or how, but while our car was at the dealership all the Piano Plastic on the top of the center console, surrounding the shifter, was all scratched-up. (I have pictures)

Here's me with my Angry Nano doing the finishing step to the plastic.

6. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    Just got a new Nano short neck systainer kit. It had the old chemicals and pads. Nothing I tried with priming the blue pads kept it from horrible cast off splatter. Any tips to reduce/prevent it? Would getting the new blue pads help?
    Use a slower speed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    Use a slower speed
    Tried spreading on ‘1’ and it still wanted to splat. Part of the issue I know is using the bottles of polish that came in the kit I found it virtually impossible not to get too much product. I’ll try Mike’s method to see if it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    Tried spreading on ‘1’ and it still wanted to splat. Part of the issue I know is using the bottles of polish that came in the kit I found it virtually impossible not to get too much product. I’ll try Mike’s method to see if it works.
    I think RUPES has some videos on YT on how to prime them. Applying it the paint instead of the pad might help you as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    I think RUPES has some videos on YT on how to prime them. Applying it the paint instead of the pad might help you as well.
    Think that’s what I’ll try next time I use it.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually apply the compound or polish and work into the pad with my finger to prime the pad for the nano.