autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mike Phillips

Re: RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s

Quote Originally Posted by pgeorgan View Post

Ah, thanks.

I have all of the above and I, too, like the yellow and white ones.
    These are SUPA pads!

I'll have to figure out a way to incorporate the blue, since I'm stuck with it now...

My confidence is so high in the RUPES TEAM of people and the quality of all their products PLUS the time and hard work they as a team invest into doing all the right research into developing new products that I know this pad works. It's just likely just a matter of using it the way it was intended to be used and that's with the compound RUPES intentionally formulated for it.

My bad for not spending more time with the RUPES DA Course Compound and this pad with their tools. I'll have to revisit.

I did like their original coarse blue foam pads. I know a lot of people didn't like them for the same characteristic this pad exhibits and that is it tends to sling splatter dots when buffing with it. It's like the pad doesn't hold the product in well against the paint? I do tend to overuse product, so that could be part of the problem. If I get around to re-testing with their dedicated compound and the new blue CP pad I'll share my results.

Like I've posted in other places, I have not given up on this pad, I just need to invest more time behind it.

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    For the times that I will be using the Rupes pads here's a quick and easy way to center the pad without any wasted effort or time eyeballing the pad into place. A simple yet effective guide pin...

Attachment 72603 Attachment 72604 Attachment 72605 Attachment 72606

Attachment 72607 Attachment 72608

My guide pin is a 3/4" wooden dowel with a couple coats of urethane to smooth and seal the wood fibers. It could be made of any material but this is what I had on hand. A nylon dowel would be the perfect material but I didn't have any of that laying around.

You could also try a deep-well socket in the 9/16s or 14mm range to use as the guide. Then you don't have to make anything.
    Autogeek also sells a pad centering post, though not as ingenuitive as your idea. I got one with my rotary polisher when I purchased it, and I use it all the time! It's a very useful tool.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

3. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    That was a hell of a post! Well done. Easy to read and greatly detailed.RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

5. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I never got in the groove with the blue pad either. The only time I really put them through there paces was on a friends boat and they felt much better on gelcoat.
    Rupes has a video on how to prime with and apply polish to the blue, as well as how to warm it up. Once I did that, I had no more problems. The new one is nice - smaller foam cells. I used it the other day on a Duetto to correct some of the lower quarter panels on my vehicle before ceramic application and the results were amazing. I stuck to the Rupes "system" for that one - blue and blue, yellow and yellow, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Going forward, I'll be paying attention to how much of this disturbance is attributable to the product and how much is attributable to the gear-driven nature of the Mille.
    Their website actually states that you should expect more vibration as compared to an RO due to the gear-driven of the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    If I get around to re-testing with their dedicated compound and the new blue CP pad I'll share my results.
    Please do! I'm enjoying mine so far, paired with a Duetto.

I'm all ears if you're going to do a re-test!

Post Thanks / Like

Their website actually states that you should expect more vibration as compared to an RO due to the gear-driven of the machine.
    I wasn't referring to vibration... I was referring primarily to the "sticky" nature of the product I was using.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't referring to vibration... I was referring primarily to the "sticky" nature of the product I was using.
    I have used mine on probably 40 vehicles now and experience zero grabbing no matter the pad like when I first started out and we talked about a bit earlier in this thread.

It actually flows very nice, just a slight learning curve in the beginning.

I'm using the Supa Beast myself and really am loving the force rotation..... How are you liking the force rotation and the Rupes Mille?
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    I have used mine on probably 40 vehicles now and experience zero grabbing no matter the pad like when I first started out and we talked about a bit earlier in this thread.

It actually flows very nice, just a slight learning curve in the beginning.

I'm using the Supa Beast myself and really am loving the force rotation..... How are you liking the force rotation and the Rupes Mille?
    I haven't had another opportunity to use the Mille yet.

In late April I had a hernia surgery that put me out of commission for a bit. Then I went on a cross-country motorcycle trip in June. Since, the only polishing I've done has been motorcycles using my 3-inch Griot's Rotary and DA polishers.

Here's a link to a thread documenting the detailing of my bike when I returned from the road trip... After the Road Trip

Hopefully the Mille's next usage will occur in the next few weeks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234