autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s

Good to hear that your initial impression of the Millie was a good one. You are right about nothing cut faster than a rotary but in all fairness...with todays modern thin paint, one hardly ever needs it. Pair the millie up with the Rupes coarse wool pad and you will be amazed at how close it can get to the rotary.

2. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Glad to hear you like it. I’d suggest spending some more time with the Rupes yellow pad. I grew up with rotary and when I got my first Flex 3401 years ago it felt natural as well. I to was thrown off some when I started using the Rupes pads, but after forcing myself to use them more, the yellow has become one of the best pads I’ve ever used.
    I hear you... I'm definitely going to use the Rupes pads again. I'm not writing them off quite yet.

Actually, I didn't have any issue with the yellow pad even though I preferred the Meg's pad by a slight margin after trying it. I could definitely see myself becoming accustomed to the Rupes yellow pad with a little more "pad" time.

The blue pad, that's a different story. It felt so far "off" to me that its prognosis is not as promising as the yellow, but I will certainly give it another try.

I also have, but did not try yet, the Rupes Ultra-Fine white pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I never got in the groove with the blue pad either. The only time I really put them through there paces was on a friends boat and they felt much better on gelcoat.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

The pads… Unlike the Polisher, the jury is still out on the Rupes pads. I’m not giving up on them yet but I’m also not ordering a bunch either.

Not yet anyways as I did prefer the Meg’s pads over the Rupes pads, and especially so with the cutting pad (Blue vs. Maroon).

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

The blue pad, that's a different story. It felt so far "off" to me that its prognosis is not as promising as the yellow, but I will certainly give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post

I never got in the groove with the blue pad either. The only time I really put them through there paces was on a friends boat and they felt much better on gelcoat.

Great minds think alike?

I recently wrote this new article,

Mike Phillips recommended foam pads for the FLEX Family of BEAST 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

Here's what I wrote about the NEW blue foam cutting pad from RUPES - introduced in their new DA System.

Last paragraph in first post

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Also - for what it's worth, I have not arrived to the point where I like the new RUPES Blue foam cutting pad.

I have not given up on it yet, but I find myself still preferring the Lake Country Orange Force Hybrid pad for cutting, compounding, paint correction - whatever you prefer to call aggressive work.

Historically I show the OLD blue foam cutting pad from RUPES in my boat classes for the polishing step because gelcoat don't like soft, gushy pads for polishing/abrading. Sharp pads work best. That said, I'm still not liking the new foam formula for the new RUPES blue foam cutting pad. I've tried to use it a bunch of times and it spits out product worse than the old blue foam pad.

My boat class is this weekend so I'll let the class try them and see what they think. As for now, the best replacement I've found for the OLD RUPES blue foam cutting pads is the Buff and Shine

7 Inch Coarse Blue Heavy Cutting Foam Pad

Of course, the above in in the context of polishing gel-coat, not car paint.

6. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Great minds think alike?

I recently wrote this new article,

Mike Phillips recommended foam pads for the FLEX Family of BEAST 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

Here's what I wrote about the NEW blue foam cutting pad from RUPES - introduced in their new DA System.

Last paragraph in first post

Historically I show the OLD blue foam cutting pad from RUPES in my boat classes for the polishing step because gelcoat don't like soft, gushy pads for polishing/abrading. Sharp pads work best. That said, I'm still not liking the new foam formula for the new RUPES blue foam cutting pad. I've tried to use it a bunch of times and it spits out product worse than the old blue foam pad.

My boat class is this weekend so I'll let the class try them and see what they think. As for now, the best replacement I've found for the OLD RUPES blue foam cutting pads is the Buff and Shine

7 Inch Coarse Blue Heavy Cutting Foam Pad

Of course, the above in in the context of polishing gel-coat, not car paint.

I too noticed that "spitting out of product" and I thought to myself "what am I doing wrong?" It was actually slinging off the edge of the pad during the buffing cycle. Glad to see that maybe it wasn't "me".

But what gave me the most disfavor, and what I felt right from the very start, is that it didn't want to conform to even the slightest contour, like a gentle crown in a basically flat panel. It felt like I was using a brick for a pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Built a bracket to add the Rupes Mille to the wall rack that holds my polishers...

RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210303_170831resized-jpg RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210303_170841resized-jpg RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210303_170909resized-jpg RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210305_171420resized-jpg

This weekend I'll be putting the Mille to work on an AIO project. I'll post some comments once completed.

9. Likes John U, fly07sti, Texchappy, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished up my first complete AIO job using the Rupes Mille last night. The car came out beautifully. In fact, the owner made the comment that the car, a 2016 Chevy Volt w/ 80,000 miles on the clock, has never looked so good.

The Process

- Waterless Wash
    - Clay
    - AIO (Meg's D166)
    - Polisher: Rupes Mille; Griot's G3 3" Rotary for the front bumper
    - Pads: Rupes D-A 6" Yellow Fine Polishing & Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 7" Maroon Cutting

Here's just a few pics, then I'll get on with some comments...

One "Before" sun-shot that shows some of the swirls...
    RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210306_122829resized-jpg

Then the "After" sun-shot. I shot this immediately after finishing the hood (the first panel completed) as I was running out of sunlight and knew this would be my last opportunity. I wanted to confirm my results were looking good in direct sunlight. I knew they would, but its nice to check anyways...
    RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210306_153256resized-jpg

A couple in-work shots...
    RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210306_160554resized-jpg RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210306_173121resized-jpg

And finally, the finished shots...
    RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210306_221948resized-jpg RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210306_222005resized-jpg RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210306_222024resized-jpg RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210306_221925resized-jpg RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s-20210306_222127resized-jpg

The Mille & The Pads

The Mille performed flawlessly. I can't tell you how much I enjoy the "no stall" aspect of this gear-driven orbital polisher. Other than the "no-stall" characteristic it feels very much like any other conventional random orbital, just a bit more aggressive. The additional effort required to control that aggressiveness is minimal. It is there, but it's not bad. And some of the additional effort may be attributable to the product being used (see my "General Observations" below).

I wanted to try the 7" Meguiars Soft Buff 2.0 pads I have on hand along with the Rupes 6" D-A pads so I did a test spot on the hood with each. Each pad (Meg's maroon & Rupes yellow) produced similarly acceptable results. In fact, stunning results. I didn't even try out a Meg's Soft Buff 2.0 Yellow Polishing Pad as the Maroon Cutting Pad provided the finished result I was looking for.

I opted to start my process using the Meg's 7" pad. All of the horizontal panels were finished with this pad. I then switched to the Rupes 6" pad for the side panels as I wanted to get more pad-time with them.

General Observations

One thing that I did notice, and I attribute it partially to the product I was using (D166), is that it gets a little "grabby" during the polishing cycle. Much moreso than a straight polish. Call it tacky, grabby, sticky, etc., or whatever you would describe it as, but it was noticeable to the extent that the polisher would rock, or pivot, slightly at times. Not enough that it was uncontrollable, but enough to get your attention. Going forward, I'll be paying attention to how much of this disturbance is attributable to the product and how much is attributable to the gear-driven nature of the Mille.

Any comments on this observation of mine would be appreciated. Do you notice this "sticky" trait with AIOs? Maybe some Blackfire with its stellar reviews is in order? Regardless, the end result with the D166 was as good as anyone could expect.

As for the pads, I haven't settled on a clear favorite yet, but either of the two I used this go-around could eventually make it to that slot.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I also did my first AIO with the Supa BEAST using Blackfire One Step and also got a tit of the grab you described, not a ton but every once in a while.

I tried 4 different pads....
    - Rupes yellow
    - Carpro Orange
    - Buff & Shine green
    - Buff & Shine yellow

Both the Rupes and CarPro are low profile pads.
    The Buff & Shine pads are thicker and with those two I got little to no grab and I would attribute it to being more forgiving with them being thicker.

The Rupes and CarPro pads definitely corrected a bit better.
    Those were just a couple quick observations for me....

I also did a electric vehicle lol. Toyota Prius and can honestly say the gear driven da is nothing short of amazing.
    I blew through that thing in record time and got absolutley stunning results.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

12. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol @ Cut the Vord!!!

I did the same with my Rupes Rotary. Just too long for my liking when storing. I understand why some like it and the point of a long cord. Just not for me.

Glad you are enjoying your new toy!!!
    Jim

14. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Today I did another AIO job with the Mille. My daughter's 2018 Kia Soul, white.

I love this thing and am very happy with my purchase. I've got about 10 hours of tool-time so far with a few different pads and products...

Products
    - All Meguiar's
    - - 110 Compound
    - - 210 Polish
    - - 166 AIO
    - - 6 AIO

Pads
    - Rupes D-A 6"
    - Meg's Soft Buff 2.0 7"
    - Meg's Soft Buff 5"

As of this time, after experimenting with various configurations of the above pads, i.e., cutting, polishing, finishing, I gotta say the the 5" Meg's pads seem to be my favorite with the Mille. I have a couple Rupes medium wool pads ordered and want to try them. We'll see how they compare when I get them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast