autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Rupes Bigfoot D-A pads

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    I'm not sure about those particular pads but I'm pretty sure that the beveled edge 6.5 inch Rupes pads are the same as the Bauer pads sold at Harbor Freight.
    You may need to learn a little bit more about foam structure, manufacture, and design before you make such a statement.

2. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I hope that 'newer is better' holds true. The current Rupes Yellow is such a versatile pad.
    The yellow foam is unchanged, Just the shape is different. The blue pad is new.

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Explain to me the difference between those pads. I know the Bauer pads are advertised as German Foams. The yellow and white Bauer pads are excellent. I haven't used the blue or green to form an opinion on them. My orange cutting pads are aggressive enough for what I need.

Post Thanks / Like

There are closed cell, open cell, cell density. Cheaper pads are usually open cell and not very den.
    If I take a rupes pad and compound a car doing like 20 passes, I can let the pad cool as it's closed foam and very dense, also absorbs and dissipates heat better.
    If I take a cheap pad and do the 20 passes and let it heat up, I may melt the inside of the foam so after one use, it'll feel softer.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

7. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I have a post here somewhere I thought about the new pads and the new UNO Protect?

I like them. I think the pad design actually has some real benefit and I think I share why in this video shared on my Instagram page,

New RUPES pads

I have the complete new system but to date - I haven't had anything "cool" to detail to use the entire system and thus write a review.

At this time, I plan on just grabbing something out of the parking lot here at Autogeek and pushing forward. Normally, as a professional courtesy to our vendors like RUPES I try to showcase their new stuff on cool stuff. I could create a list that photo-documents this.

9. Likes axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    There are closed cell, open cell, cell density. Cheaper pads are usually open cell and not very den.
    If I take a rupes pad and compound a car doing like 20 passes, I can let the pad cool as it's closed foam and very dense, also absorbs and dissipates heat better.
    If I take a cheap pad and do the 20 passes and let it heat up, I may melt the inside of the foam so after one use, it'll feel softer.
    I understand open vs closed cell foam. The closed cell foam tends to keep the polish on the surface of the pad and allow longer work time vs an open cell foam. IMO the biggest advantage of the closed cell pad is less dusting. I've never had a pad melt. In the real world, open vs closed finishing pad, both produced the same end result.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just about the foam cell structure, it's also about the foam density itself. The reason that a lot of the really nice pads like Rupes Yellow work so well is because they have a very dense foam structure. The foam structure is dense, and it's also a stiff foam. For some manufacturers, stiffer foam=cutting pad. However, with a stiff but also very dense foam pad, it provides an excellent finishing capability.

Think about sandpaper, if on one square inch, using the same size grit, one had 1000 of the grits, and then the other piece had 4000 of the other grits, the one with the 4000 grits would provide more actual contact area. Also the one with the 4000 grits would finish better because there's less marring from the paper itself.

Same surface area, but a lot more contact points. Finer finish, faster cut. That's the difference and why some pads cost 16 dollars and some cost 5.

In the real world, with one of the cheaper ones, I can't get the same one step result with the cheaper pad versus a more established manufacturer.
    I'm sure if you were to take a gloss meter and do a measurement, there would be a tangible difference.

Another good way to test the pads of their own accord is to take something like a Rupes Yellow or Buff & Shine Urotec Foam Dark Blue pad versus a cheaper one, and apply hand lotion to it and see how many passes it takes each to give you the same result. Yes, you can polish paint with hand lotion. Not recommended but as a solid test of which pad provides better capability, it's a good medium to use.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I hope that 'newer is better' holds true. The current Rupes Yellow is such a versatile pad.
    The yellow foam is supposed to be the same for the new ones.

I watched the entire webinar (?) and took screenshots. I'll create a thread later today (if my day goes smoothly) and use those screenshots to shed some light on the new polishes and pads. Pretty cool stuff.

13. Thanks BudgetPlan1, Caraman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to add that it isn't as simple as closed cell is good and open cell pads are bad. There are lots of polishing and finishing pads that are open cell. The LC blue and red pads are open cell. I think the LC green cutting pad is open cell, at least the one I have. They've changed the green pads over the years and I think the current one is a polishing pad. Lots of black pads are open cell. I think foam density might be the more important issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Closed cell creates more heat for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

16. Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast