autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes LHR 15 Mark III - pad and speed

Hi,

I recently purchased a Rupes LHR 15 Mark III, and I usually use Meguiar's M205 for polishing. Before, I had the Porter Cable 7424XP, and I was using a white hex logic pad on speed setting 4.

I have purchased a Rupes yellow 'fine' pad since I have read that people say M205 works excellent with that pad. Would I be better off using a Meguiar's pad instead? Also, what speed should I be setting the Rupes to (since it is a more powerful machine)?

As for the cars I will be doing, one is a black 2013 Chevy Cruze LTZ, and the other is a red 1994 Mustang. I want to get out some minor scratches and swirls that have accumulated over the years. The paint on both cars still looks good.

Thanks for your help; it is very much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes LHR 15 Mark III - pad and speed

I would use the Rupes yellow on speed 4-5.

Mike Phillips

When using the BigFoot 15 or 21 I'd recommend sticking with RUPES pads.

See my article here,

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips

The Air Test

In this picture, this RUPES BigFoot 21 is running on the 6.0 speed setting and is vibration free.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For Meguiars M105 would I use the green or blue Rupes pad? So far I have yellow and white.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I would use the Rupes yellow on speed 4-5.
    I agree with this. I have a MKII and stay within 4-4.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang94 View Post
    For Meguiars M105 would I use the green or blue Rupes pad? So far I have yellow and white.

Thanks!
    What cutting pads do you own? Are you dead set on this compound?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The only cutting pad I have for this machine at the moment is a Lake Country CCS - Orange, from my understanding the Rupes pads seem to work better with these machines. Before when I was using my Porter-Cable, I used orange for M105, white for M205 and black for wax (these were hex logic 6.5-inch pads).

I am not dead set on M105, I find it can be difficult to work with at times and it creates a lot of dust. Is there another compound that would be recommended? I mainly only used compound to try to get rid of the white clear coat scratches. They especially show up on my black Cruze.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would M105 and a Rupes green pad match up? I did read somewhere that the Rupes blue pad would be too rough for M105. I also use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound as well.

I have read on here that the Rupes white pad can be used for waxing.

Post Thanks / Like

M105 is pretty old stuff. I would not buy it but if you already have it you can use it. Seems you know the challenges with it.

If I were buying a compound today I'd look at Griots Garage Fast Correcting Cream, 3D ACA 500, or even Meguiars newest cutting compound M110 (just to name a few). Rupes also has a new compound called DA Course. Might be worth trying if you want to stay inside the Rupes system. Although now that I said that I can't find it for sale here yet.

High Performance Cut Polishing Compound – D-A Coarse - Rupes tools

If I'm cutting I like to use microfiber or modern wool pads (Rupes has the blue wool pad - Buff and Shine has the Uro-wool and Lake Country has a couple lambswool options). Wool doesn't heat the panel (and product) as much as microfiber.

I'll let others chime in about their experience with the Rupes blue and green foam pads. Other than M105 being a pain to work with I don't see why those pads wouldn't work for you. Although I've read a few negative reviews on the Rupes blue foam pad.

Start with a test spot using less agressive combinations. You may not need that aggressive of a compound / pad combo.

Post Thanks / Like

The only cutting pad I have for this machine at the moment is a Lake Country CCS - Orange, from my understanding the Rupes pads seem to work better with these machines. Before when I was using my Porter-Cable, I used orange for M105, white for M205 and black for wax (these were hex logic 6.5-inch pads).

I am not dead set on M105, I find it can be difficult to work with at times and it creates a lot of dust. Is there another compound that would be recommended? I mainly only used compound to try to get rid of the white clear coat scratches. They especially show up on my black Cruze.
    The Rupes pads work best on the machine due to Rupes designing the pads for the machine per Mike's link up above. Now that does not mean you can not use either pads. You will just notice the balance off a bit which may lead to a bit more vibration.

As far as compounds I would recommend Meguiar's M110, Sonax Cut Max or 3D ACA.

Would M105 and a Rupes green pad match up? I did read somewhere that the Rupes blue pad would be too rough for M105. I also use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound as well.

I have read on here that the Rupes white pad can be used for waxing.
    You certainly can use M105 on the green pad. It will cut more than the Rupes yellow but less than the Rupes blue. It is not that the Rupes is too rough it is still a cutting pad. One has to factor in the cut of the abrasives of the compound. One thing to keep in mind is that the blue pad is open cell and will dust. Add that to the dusting of M105 and I could see a nightmare.

The Rupes white pad has the lightest cut which can be used for a finishing polish or wax/sealant application.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont see the reason to use other pads. for me with green pads and yellow i am hitting everything with success. you also should try for one step, rupes yellow pad with sonax perfect finish. great combo. one of my favourites.
    i found that the sweet spot for this machine is between 3,5-4,5. most of the time i am working with this speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast