autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes LHR 15 Mark III - pad and speed

Rupes recommendation is correcting/polishing at speed 4, generally speaking. You may increase speed on concaves or if the surface is grabby and not allowing proper rotation. Use Rupes pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes LHR 15 Mark III - pad and speed

I wanted to try out Rupe's new polishes I own two cars, a 2013 Chevy Cruze (black metallic paint) and a 1994 Ford Mustang convertible (Rio Red). The paint on them is good; however, with the Cruze being a black car, it will show anything.

What speed settings would you recommend for the following (I am still using the Rupes LHR 15 Mark III);

1) Rupes ultra finishing polish (Uno pure) with Rupes white pad. Is it safe to use this combination once a year? I would assume this would remove very little clear coat.

2) Rupes high-performance fine polishing compound (D-A fine) with Rupes yellow pad. Would this combination take off much clear coat (would it be safe to do once a year)?

3) Meguiar’s hybrid ceramic wax with a Lake County black pad. I usually do this at a very low speed, such as 1 or 2.

I do own a Rupes blue pad and the old Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound (I think that has been discontinued)? However, I very rarely ever use that combination, the only time being if there was significant damage to the paint.

Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes LHR 15 Mark III - pad and speed

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang94 View Post
    I wanted to try out Rupe's new polishes I own two cars, a 2013 Chevy Cruze (black metallic paint) and a 1994 Ford Mustang convertible (Rio Red). The paint on them is good; however, with the Cruze being a black car, it will show anything.

What speed settings would you recommend for the following (I am still using the Rupes LHR 15 Mark III);

1) Rupes ultra finishing polish (Uno pure) with Rupes white pad. Is it safe to use this combination once a year? I would assume this would remove very little clear coat.

2) Rupes high-performance fine polishing compound (D-A fine) with Rupes yellow pad. Would this combination take off much clear coat (would it be safe to do once a year)?

3) Meguiar’s hybrid ceramic wax with a Lake County black pad. I usually do this at a very low speed, such as 1 or 2.

I do own a Rupes blue pad and the old Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound (I think that has been discontinued)? However, I very rarely ever use that combination, the only time being if there was significant damage to the paint.

Thanks for the info!
    Hey Mustang94,

Both combinations you listed are fairly mild. While I would never say that anything is 100% safe to use any number of times, for any number of years... assuming your technique is solid and your paint is healthy, you could use either combination a large number of times with minimal impact on paint thickness. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, and even the mildest combination run on speed 5 with heavy pressure directly on the edge of the paint can do damage..

Remember that paint correction (regardless if we are sanding, compounding, or just light polishing) is a process that requires removing the paint above the scratch to create a new level surface. One bad wash can require a half a day of paint correction.. which is effectively saying that one pad wash removes more paint (in isolated areas) than a light polishing session. Focus on good washing and drying techniques and your paint will reward you with a happy and long-service life.

As far as speeds, I would use 2-to-4 for the white pad, and 3-to-4 for the yellow pad.

Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12