autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

non-professional comparison Rupes V Griot's G15

I couldn't decide which long throw DA I wanted so I bought am LHR15 MKII and a Griot's G15. My background is non-professional car care guy. I have 4-6 cars in my family I take care of and occasionally help friends with their cars. I've been detailing my own for 30+ years. My impressions for anyone who cares.

I just detailed 2 of our cars. A 06 Honda Element EX-P (maroon metallic paint) and a 2012 Toyota Prius (Dark blue metallic). Both had years of tunnel wash scratches, paint transfers from parking lot damage, etc. I used Griot's BOSS fast correcting cream, their correcting cream (Used a BOSS white pad, Rupes yellow and green) and some NXT 2.0 sealant/wax I had in my detailing bin (mostly machine applied with a black pad).

Rupes has significantly less vibration. Vibration was the main reason I wanted to update from my 10+ yr old Griots 6" DA. It worked fine, but my hands would tingle for hours after doing a car. The Rupes, with a Rupes pad or a new BOSS pad was very, very smooth for me. The G15 seemed a bit "raw" for lack of a better term. I did run the G15 for 20 minutes on 1-2 to burn it in and break the brushes in prior to use. The Rupes is a used, like new unit I bought from a local.

Ergonomics between the 2 is a tie for me. I don't see any advantage in either unit. I don't find the soft start an advantage and don't think the immediate start is an issue.

Noise...the Rupes is quieter and the noise generated is a lower frequency which is easier on my ears.

The Griot's feels to me like it has more power. It doesn't stall nearly as easily as the Rupes. I did not modify either unit, but the Rupes stalls very easily. I had to really watch my technique to keep the pad spinning even with little to no pressure. Having said that I want to reiterate that the G15 feels more raw, less sophisticated, etc. Not a big deal for those of us doing a few cars a year, but the pros might find it an issue. If I didn't have both to try back to back I'd probably be happy with the G15....not that I'm unhappy with it, but everything is a matter of degrees.

I'm a Maguiar's twins guy from way back. The new BOSS creams really do work well. I used the fast correcting cream and their white pad for most of these 2 cars. I did no final polishing beyond the fast correcting cream. Really happy with this system so far.

Both units got the job done. I'll probably keep the Rupes and put a 3" kit on my old 6" Griot's.

non-professional comparison Rupes V Griot's G15-buff-jpgnon-professional comparison Rupes V Griot's G15-buff2-jpgnon-professional comparison Rupes V Griot's G15-buff3-jpg

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Bruno Soares, SWETM, mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: non-professional comparison Rupes V Griot's G15

Although I was comparing the BOSS21 to the Rupes 15 Mk2, our impressions are pretty similar. I do think the ergonomics of the BOSS, for whatever reason, lead to easier use for me. I believe the long handle of the Rupes makes me 'teeter-totter' it a bit more than the BOSS, leading occasional loss of flat pad to surface contact.

These were my thoughts when I picked up a BOSS21 to go with Rupes 15 Mk2. Since the release of the Rupes 15 Mk3 with it’s variable speed trigger and updated ergonomics, a few points have changed but since I don’t have a Mk3, can’t really comment on that one.

I know I struggled last year (2017) the whole Rupes v BOSS choice and even after reading everything I could find on the subject ya just never know until you yourself actually drive `em both. When at Barret-Jackson in Scottsdale last January, I got to play with a G21 in the Griots tent for a bit and it was enough to pique my curiosity enough to look into grabbing a G21 at some point.

Normally when time is of the essence and some compounding needs to be done, the Flex 3401, M101 on gray LC Force pads takes care of things like an old beat up van in a relatively expedient manner, although I`ve also used Rupes 15 Mk2 with billet backing plate on these types of vehicles as well. The G21 with 6.5″ BOSS Microfiber pads and Megs D300 ate this thing up even quicker than the Flex and far less taxing; 4 passes and move to next section. I`m quite impressed with this machine and really look forward to using it again.

i think the ergonomics of it vs the Rupes (in my case) makes it much easier to use than the Rupes, although the Rupes is still noticeably smoother for the most part and feels more solid/monolithic. The G21 kinda sorta feels more `assembled` if that makes any sense, but is still very smooth and comfortable to use; it`s slightly more compact compared to the Rupes and the angle of the handle and more rounded rubber grips keep me from teeter-tottering the machine/pad as much, eliminating some measure of stalling.

Even though it`s a relatively flat vehicle in this case (Ford E250 panel vsn), and ideal for a 21mm stroke, there are still a few curves over the wheels and some recessed body accent lines that require more attention with the Rupes as opposed to the Flex, and the G21 took care of those with ease, hardly any stalling and quite willing to have the pad edge pushed into recesses to polish. While not apples to apples (21mm v 15mm) it`s become obvious that each has pluses and minuses compared to the other, mostly very minor things.

Regardless, anybody who dismisses the BOSS machines without having tried em, or disparages them as cheap Chinese knockoffs should probably rethink that narrow-minded view. The BOSS is certainly a solid piece of kit, worthy of consideration. I look forward to us8ng on a curvier vehicle to see if my current impressions hold. It`s a more comfortable machine to hold (for me) than the Rupes, with more rounded edges and rubber grips/inserts.

I did follow up on the hood with a yellow BOSS Pad and Scholl S40 and it worked very nicely and quickly; that extra 6mm of throw over a 15mm machine really covers a lot of ground efficiently.

As for a few more thoughts on BOSS v. Rupes,

What I prefer w the BOSS:

1. Variable speed trigger. Much more preferable to me, very easy to set working speed and then use variable speed trigger to slowly spread polish initially and then move right up to working speed without having to adjust speed dial. A little item but when you consider how often you do this at the start of each section,` it`s a more convenient approach than Rupes slow start. If going with Rupes Mk3, it now has variable speed trigger.

2. Ergonomics. For me, BOSS is more comfortable to hold with its softer rubber grips here and there, bit more compact and rounded chassis as well. It just seems to rest in my hands in a more natural manner. Rupes is a bit more `square-ish` with regards to chassis.

3. Usage/effectiveness/learning curve. The BOSS just seemed to be easier to use effectively right outta the box. While it has a more powerful motor, spec-wise, than the Rupes, I`m not sure how (or if) that translates into more torque, thus less stalling.

I didn`t use any if the included washers to space the plate a bit off of the shroud for 100% free spinning and I`m not sure I will. The Rupes seems to have more shroud to plate drag/contact in its stock configuration as when cleanng/spinning` a microfiber pad with compressed air on the Rupes, the stock set up does not allow the pad to spin while compressed air is blown on pad. The G21 will spin while being blown off for effective pad cleaning. There is still some contact with the G21 as when pad stops spinning when power is switched off, it does not completely spin freely until momentum stops it;
    the last little bit of rotation stops in a manner which indicates friction is involved in the final stopping rather than loss of momentum.

What I prefer w the Rupes:

1. It`s a Rupes. For me, anyway, with the Rupes being the original long throw,` there`s just a certain mystique` (well warranted)` about their machines. The user experience with the Rupes is a very relaxing, almost artistic experience once you get your technique dialed in, which I still have yet to completely do; getting there but still a ways to go.

2. Smooth and soothing while in use. The Rupes still has an advantage in overall smoothness, especially with a billet backing plate bolted on and a yellow or white Rupes pad on it. It`s a combo that just makes me want to polish something for the sake of using it and enjoying the feel. The sound level of the Rupes is smooth as well, a consistent soothing `hum of quality`; G21 is a more mechanical sound although in no way objectionable

3. Rupes has 25ft cord option, not avaliable on G21 that I saw. Minor inconvenience at most but worthy of note.

Pretty much right after ordering the G21 I was on the fence regarding if it was dumb or not, being only an occasional hobbyist with the Rupes 15 and the Flex 3401 on the shelf already; after using it for a few hours, I have no regrets in buying and trying the G21, that`s for sure.
    non-professional comparison Rupes V Griot's G15-bossrup-jpg

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Although I was comparing the BOSS21 to the Rupes 15 Mk2, our impressions are pretty similar. I do think the ergonomics of the BOSS, for whatever reason, lead to easier use for me. I believe the long handle of the Rupes makes me 'teeter-totter' it a bit more than the BOSS, leading occasional loss of flat pad to surface contact.
    Thanks. I didn't notice that myself, but maybe with more use it might be an issue.

6. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Mark III have more power (less stalling) than the Mark II? If power is what your looking for than the 21 Mark III with a 5" backing plate will provide all the power that you will need.

8. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Mark III have more power (less stalling) than the Mark II? If power is what your looking for than the 21 Mark III with a 5" backing plate will provide all the power that you will need.
    They both are similar if not identical in terms of power and stalling. You are practically investing in more rubber and a longer cord.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    They both are similar if not identical in terms of power and stalling. You are practically investing in more rubber and a longer cord.
    Will the 21 Mark III with a 5" backing plate stall less than the 15 Mark II?

Post Thanks / Like

Not really a true apples to apples comparison IMO since the two machines had different throws. Might just be cutting hairs is all though.

Also, Griots provides Spacer washers for the G15/G21 machine's Backing Plates, this feature may impart some operational differences in felt smoothness, variation in stalling, possibly sound transmitted also.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the 21 Mark III with a 5" backing plate stall less than the 15 Mark II?
    It’s been so long since I had LHR21 set up with a 5” backing plate, but the LHR15 MKII as well as the latest MKIII are smoother than the 21mm w/ 5” BP I feel.

In terms of stalling, they both are similar— possibly giving the edge to the 15mm due to a 5” BP being standard working in junction with a smaller throw. I hope this makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=MarkD51;1662754]Not really a true apples to apples comparison IMO since the two machines had different throws.

I realize that they are different throws. I was asking about the stalling on curves.

Post Thanks / Like

Everything I've read and watched says the mechanicals are the same. It's ergos mainly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast