autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: non-professional comparison Rupes V Griot's G15

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Not really a true apples to apples comparison IMO since the two machines had different throws. Might just be cutting hairs is all though.

Also, Griots provides Spacer washers for the G15/G21 machine's Backing Plates, this feature may impart some operational differences in felt smoothness, variation in stalling, possibly sound transmitted also.
    No idea who you're replying to (no quoted text), but my comparison was with 2 - 15mm throw machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the comparison! Well done and good info that your provided! If you convert your 6" to a 3" it will be a beast of a machine! (I did that with mine and really like it)
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

3. Likes AV8R, Jolakri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if you have done it to the Rupes but if not it can be an improvement of less stalling. It's to lube the outside of the backing plate where the shroud meets the backing plate. Cause it's a safety feature to have the backing plate stop spinning sooner when you lift the polisher from the surface you polishing. Think it's even by law needed here in EU. That's why some goes with the washer mod on Rupes polishers. Also take of the backing plate and inspect the shroud meets the backing plate if you see a wear on it. If not lubed correctly during it's lifetime it can be a benefit to get a new plastic shroud if it's this what it's called as I'm getting more uncertain if it is so LOL. Or if you see some wear rubber on the shroud you can use a razor blade to cut off this if it's on the backing plate. Also clean up the backing plate before lube it so you get any old weared rubber off it. IPA or a panel prep wipe product and some elbow grease usually fixing it to be cleaned up. Also backing plates wears down during time so might be another benefit to buy a new one if you see a sign of it.

Great write up and review and comparison testing between the G15 and Rupes 15mm Mark II polishers. Thanks for shareing your experience with them!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Don't know if you have done it to the Rupes but if not it can be an improvement of less stalling. It's to lube the outside of the backing plate where the shroud meets the backing plate. Cause it's a safety feature to have the backing plate stop spinning sooner when you lift the polisher from the surface you polishing. Think it's even by law needed here in EU. That's why some goes with the washer mod on Rupes polishers. Also take of the backing plate and inspect the shroud meets the backing plate if you see a wear on it. If not lubed correctly during it's lifetime it can be a benefit to get a new plastic shroud if it's this what it's called as I'm getting more uncertain if it is so LOL. Or if you see some wear rubber on the shroud you can use a razor blade to cut off this if it's on the backing plate. Also clean up the backing plate before lube it so you get any old weared rubber off it. IPA or a panel prep wipe product and some elbow grease usually fixing it to be cleaned up. Also backing plates wears down during time so might be another benefit to buy a new one if you see a sign of it.

Great write up and review and comparison testing between the G15 and Rupes 15mm Mark II polishers. Thanks for shareing your experience with them!

/ Tony
    Thanks, Tony.

When I brought the Rupes home, I disassembled the backing plate and cleaned and re-lubed the shroud and the backing plate. They come from Rupes with silicone grease so I moved some that had migrated away from the pad, back onto it.

I may try the washer mod just to see how much difference it makes.

Thanks again

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
    No idea who you're replying to (no quoted text), but my comparison was with 2 - 15mm throw machines.
    OK, I see that now, re-reading your original post, sorry. Perhaps confused reading further posts in this thread.

Another thought I might toss around with Griots vs Rupes. Lubrication of internals. What type,, and if properly done?

I seemed to note that when I did surgery on my little GG3. Upon opening, there was a lot of Grease within the case. But the gears were virtually bone dry.

Besides the lubricating qualities of the greases themselves which might have some effect on operation smoothness, and noise levels, another thought I had was this.

Heat, and usage over time. With heat, greases liquify, and would assume most Polishers work in a similar fashion, there's a Gearcase. With in effect sort of a ring and pinion gear just like a differential.

What I observed within the GG3 appeared to be these causes, "heat", although the machine had not been in use much prior to opening, and "centrifugal force", that slung the grease away from the gears themselves.

While the quality of the grease itself with the GG3 looked very clean, bore resemblance to Permatex Super Lube Synthetic Grease, I was unsure of what properties this grease possessed?

Thus I decided to totally remove all the old grease and re-lube with Super Lube Synthetic Grease.
    Can I say the quality of the new grease was actually better that what I replaced? Of that I am unsure?
    At least the grease I threw in has some known, assuring qualities I felt.

Did the GG3 run smoother and quieter. Yes. The combination of the replacement of a pair of basically factory new, but cracked Brushes no doubt had an impact on proper operation, but also I might be inclined to think that just the simple re-distribution of grease onto the gears themselves also helped.

I know a lot of users might not be inclined to tear apart their Polishers, for fear of breakage and then possible downtime if there's a FUBAR, but I might take an educated guess that periodic inspection, cleaning and re-lubrication is something that might be required over time.

Hope you haven't minded my comments.

8. Likes AV8R, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To add further, I'm not in any way trying to insinuate that Polishers such as the GG3, GG6, PC, and possibly even the Boss, and new G8/G/9 machines are in the realm of Polishers such as Rupes or Flex.

Doubtful that many would argue my point that a Polisher such as the GG3 was a tool that in reality only actually cost about $10-$15 per unit at most to manufacture in China. There are inherit shortcomings.

That the comparison of the GG3 to say a Machine like the Rupes Bigfoot would be like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari from an engineering-design standpoint

I've never torn into a Flex or Rupes to further comment on their designs, but might be inclined to surmise that these are much better thought out designs and any such issues of lubrication design has been very well thought out and engineered into these Polisher Brands. Thus comments I made in my previous post may be moot.

I have a Griots Boss-15. There may come a time where I'll tear into it also, and investigate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    To add further, I'm not in any way trying to insinuate that Polishers such as the GG3, GG6, PC, and possibly even the Boss, and new G8/G/9 machines are in the realm of Polishers such as Rupes or Flex. .
    Well...they are being marketed as such. My investigations led me to 3-4 machines as there isn't a lot of competition in this market. They're built to look like each other and priced closely enough that they appear to be comparable. The proof is in the eating of the pudding.

Post Thanks / Like

Well...they are being marketed as such. My investigations led me to 3-4 machines as there isn't a lot of competition in this market. They're built to look like each other and priced closely enough that they appear to be comparable. The proof is in the eating of the pudding.
    That's true.
    One thing for sure about any tool, is there is one singular aspect designed and incorporated into all of them. Profit.

12. Likes AV8R liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything I've read and watched says the mechanicals are the same. It's ergos mainly.
    No they made major improvements on pad stalling with the mark III. I don't know what you have read but they definitely mention it in the write up

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    No they made major improvements on pad stalling with the mark III. I don't know what you have read but they definitely mention it in the write up

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I think its same internals but they’ve upgrade the programming kinda like a car. More torque i believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast