autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Doubt in Rupes buffers and compounds

Hi all,

Can anyone explain me the differences between Rupes compounds and pads clearly?

I just know about buffers and compound colors, but what is the differences in:

Combo 1 (rotary):
    Rupes Rotary COARSE Polishing Compound - 250 ml
    6.25 Inch RUPES 160mm Coarse Blue Rotary Foam Pad

Combo 2 (Gear driven):
    RUPES Mille Coarse
    5.5 Inch RUPES 140mm Coarse Blue Mille Foam Pad

Combo 3 (Zephir):
    Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound 150 ml.
    https://www.autogeek.net/ru150mm6inbl.html

1) Despite the fact that combo 1 is to rotary machines and combo 2 is used in gear driven machines, what is their differences specificaly?
    2) Can I use combo 2 on Flex 3401? Does anybody here have tested this?
    3) Can I use combo 1 on Flex PE 14-150? Does anybody here have tested this?
    4) What is the Zephir propose (combo3)? one step polishing?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doubt in Rupes buffers and compounds

As a new member I would suggest you spend some time on here and youtube reviewing Rupes info from Autogeek as well as Rupes. I know Mike P. has done videos with Rupes talking about the Pads, Polishes, Machines systems.

In overview Rupes made their Pads, Polishes, Machines to work as a system. Each type of machine has unique requirements to get the best cut, finish, outcome. So by creating a system they have focused on that. But at the same time then create a huge amount of products.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes just announced a new compound and polish at SEMA that can be used with any machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the trepidation. Don’t take this as gospel but I believe the formulations for the forced rotation and the rotary have more lubricants (as compared to the DA formula) to help reduce holograms. The pads have different firmnesses and thicknesses for each machine type.

If someone has a link to a YouTube video explaining the differences it would be appreciated. I’m hoping Mike Phillips will update his book to detail the differences in the Rupes machines, polishes, and pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by renandare View Post
    Hi all,

Can anyone explain me the differences between Rupes compounds and pads clearly?

I just know about buffers and compound colors, but what is the differences in:

Combo 1 (rotary):
    Rupes Rotary COARSE Polishing Compound - 250 ml
    6.25 Inch RUPES 160mm Coarse Blue Rotary Foam Pad

Combo 2 (Gear driven):
    RUPES Mille Coarse
    5.5 Inch RUPES 140mm Coarse Blue Mille Foam Pad

Combo 3 (Zephir):
    Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound 150 ml.
    https://www.autogeek.net/ru150mm6inbl.html

1) Despite the fact that combo 1 is to rotary machines and combo 2 is used in gear driven machines, what is their differences specificaly?
    2) Can I use combo 2 on Flex 3401? Does anybody here have tested this?
    3) Can I use combo 1 on Flex PE 14-150? Does anybody here have tested this?
    4) What is the Zephir propose (combo3)? one step polishing?

Thanks!

When RUPES decided to bring the double-great reduction rotary (a RUPES originale in 2001) and a new gear-driven polisher (another RUPES originale in 1997) into the BigFoot line up, we knew we wanted to great a systematic approach. This philosophy started with the RUPES BigFoot Random Orbital System, when pad design/weight/foam firmness was necessary to balance the tool was critical.

If you look at the pattern of a gear-driven polisher, it really is a slow spinning rotary that snakes in and out, like a multiply pointed circular star (if that makes sense). Each time it transitions from moving outward to inward, it creates a point where the foam goes from accelerating to rapidly decelerating, and then speeds away again. This constant start-stop-start motion creates a high-frequency vibration that travels right up the operator's arm.

The first step in creating a smoother user experience was to select a comfortable orbital stroke (which is actually relatively unimportant on a gear-driven), but increase the frequency and RPM. The second step was to create system of components that give the operator a better experience. A shorter foam pad means the start-stop motion creates less vertical (and lateral) compression, smoothing the ride. RUPES BigFoot Mille pads will smooth the operation of any gear-driven polisher.

The second step was to create a set of polishing compounds that had great lubricity and that spread across the face of the pad quickly to reduce vibration. Improves in a abrasives allowed us to create compounds with great cut while being very smooth when used on a gear-driven polisher.

The problem is that if you put that compound on a rotary, in which the edge speed is significantly higher, you run the risk of sling or splatter. Thus, we continued to work to create compounds that are designed for the demanding environment of a rotary. They most stick to the paint, and the pad, to avoid sling.

We could have taken a general approach and produce one set of compounds that work with the specifics of each movement but to push the envolope of performance, we wanted to tune the performance of each compound/polish to the unique demands of the movement.

To answer your questions specifically.

1) The gear-driven Mille compounds are wetter and designed to spread across the pad rapidly. The lower rotational rate of a gear-driven means that the compounds can be tuned to smooth the rough operation of a gear-driven polisher.

2) Absolutely and the feedback we have gotten with the pads and compounds on other gear-driven polishers has been amazing. All gear-driven polishers suffer from the inherent roughness which is a result of the way they move the pad.

3) Rotary polishers are simple tools. They spin the pad. The RUPES Rotary Pads and Compounds will work with any rotary system and in a lot of bodyshop testing they have been used with many different rotaries.

4) Zephir is the original heavy-cut compound. It has an aggressive abrasive powder and it is a drier compound designed to work with tools whose primary polishing action comes from the orbital movement of the pad (where rotation is secondary). It can be used on a gear-driven but will be a rough ride, and it can be used on a rotary but may dust and create a deeper swirl.

Hope this helps.

6. Thanks mc2hill thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Nice explanations Todd.

On a side note - anyone on this forum that has the @ sign in their forum name, it messes up their forum account.

If you like, I can remove the @ sign and change your forum name to anything you like

For example,

Todd at RUPES

I've done this for anyone that asks.