autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Best speed setting on LHR21 Mk II using Diamond Ultra Fine and white Rupes foam pad

Planning my first use of Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine Gel Compound next week. I'll be applying with a LHR21 Mk II and white Rupes foam pad. During my previous efforts with the Bigfoot, I've kept the speed at 4.5 with HD Speed AIO, and at 2 when applying/spreading a liquid wax.

Any suggestions about a starting setting for the Diamond gel? I know there's next to no cut from this product, so not sure if I treat it like a wax or not. The paint is in very good condition and not in need of correction at this time.

In Mike's Bigfoot book, he writes that speed range can be relative to the experience level of the user (paraphrasing here), but that he runs his polisher at 5-6 and gets it done. I also know that I should always take the least aggressive approach, but since this is the first time I'll use this particular polish, I'd like to benefit from the collective wisdom of this forum so as not to waste time.

This will be done on my own daily-driven, not-garaged, 2013 BMW (the hood was repainted 4 months ago), if the type and age of the paint plays a role in rotational speed.

I'll be doing a wash and both chemical and physical decon (as needed) before the polish, and will top it with liquid Souveran.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Mike Phillips

Re: Best speed setting on LHR21 Mk II using Diamond Ultra Fine and white Rupes foam pad

I’d run at a slow speed that maintains pad rotation.

The Mark II is much better at maintaining pad rotation over the Legacy. The Mark III even better.

When I wrote my RUPES book neither of the Mark series were introduced yet - this the higher speed recommendations.

Also for what it’s worth - my favorite RUPES combo is white/white with the 22.

:dblthimb2:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best speed setting on LHR21 Mk II using Diamond Ultra Fine and white Rupes foam pad

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I’d run at a slow speed that maintains pad rotation.

The Mark II is much better at maintaining pad rotation over the Legacy. The Mark III even better.

When I wrote my RUPES book neither of the Mark series were introduced yet - this the higher speed recommendations.

Also for what it’s worth - my favorite RUPES combo is white/white with the 22.

:dblthimb2:
    It's worth a lot! Thanks for the quick reply.