autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Before I try it, how good is UHS at removing swirls and oxidation

I bought the UHS system (with a 21 Mk II) but won't have a chance to use it for a week or so. If you've used it, how good is UHS at removing typical car wash swirls and oxidation? I want to have the proper backup if my test spot indicates I need something more aggressive, like Quarz or Zephir. Black Honda Pilot, 4-5 years old.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Before I try it, how good is UHS at removing swirls and oxidation

3. Thanks PM5C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PM5C View Post
    I bought the UHS system (with a 21 Mk II) but won't have a chance to use it for a week or so. If you've used it, how good is UHS at removing typical car wash swirls and oxidation? I want to have the proper backup if my test spot indicates I need something more aggressive, like Quarz or Zephir. Black Honda Pilot, 4-5 years old.
    UHS Is great. Not a fan of the grey pads though. They just don't last very long. Now keep in mind, I'm using them on the Rupes Mille so the torque and rotation is likely what's causing them to deteriorate quicker given Rupes has a line of pads specific to the Mille but the grey UHS ones are not among them. The polish though is awesome and I tend to combine it with the Yellow Rupes Mille pads.

My only caution to you however, is that Honda Paint is pretty soft thus I'm not sure you even need UHS. For your BMW it would be awesome and it finishes out great too. Honda, haven't tried it on such paint. I'm about to do my sons Corolla and honestly, I "might" try it just to see if I can one-step it but I would bet it's too hard and will leave micro marring. A quick test spot will determine it.

Keep us posted. I'm likely going to try it out but regardless will give the car a quick once over with GYEON's Primer polish after only because it's a great base-coat for their coatings which is what I'm going to use on it for the LSP.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Thanks PM5C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned above, keep in mind that it is Honda paint.

I have been successfully at removing swirls with RUPES yellow pad. It is known to be more like RUPES universal pad. It terms of polish. I have had success also with Keramik. But if you need more bite without going too aggressive. Try that same pad with Zephir.

As far as the UHS system goes:

It works extremely well with the RUPES Bigfoot 21 MKII. But that’s no secret as RUPES had engineered this system around their flagship models. The key is to make sure the pad is primed with enough heat introduced to the pad to soften them up. After that, UHS can perform wonders.

Looking back on the matter, while the UHS system was designed for High Solids, I have tried it on my 2009 Honda Accord before and it worked great there. But like it was mentioned, just MAYBE try something less aggressive first.

7. Thanks PM5C thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PM5C View Post

I bought the UHS system (with a 21 Mk II) but won't have a chance to use it for a week or so.

If you've used it, how good is UHS at removing typical car wash swirls and oxidation?

I want to have the proper backup if my test spot indicates I need something more aggressive, like Quarz or Zephir.

Black Honda Pilot, 4-5 years old.

Thanks.

I've owned a black Honda Pilot, paint was soft.

The RUPES UHS system is very effective. As in VERY. Like mentioned, the pads are very stiff but they do break in. I think in my RUPES how-to book I noticed the PADS could micro-mar soft paint, (the Ferrari on the cover), but after the pads break-in and soften by use, (buffing out an entire panel), you could use the wet pad to rebuff the micro-marred area and this will remove it.

Besides the Toyota write-up shared above, (the real deal detail and write-up, try to find this anywhere else ), Here's this one including a cameo by my buddy Dennis.

1954 Hudson Hornet polished with Rupes UHS

9. Thanks PM5C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ Good stuff Mike. I just ran a test-panel on my son's Toyota and it cleared it up VERY quickly. Call me crazy but I put 3 dots of UHS and 1 dot of HDOne on the pad as it keeps it lubricated and working well. No marring at all, but I used the Mille with Yellow Mille pads.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

11. Likes PM5C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like having back-up stuff, just in case.

UHS / UHS has worked well for me the couple of times I used it. I want to say one was soft paint. Another was a black Porsche 996, where UHS/UHS on a Flex 3401 did pretty good. Not enough to go after the deeper RIDS, but a nice difference.

More recently, like two weeks ago on a re-paint, it did 'just okay" - but the paint is on the harder side. If it were just swirls, it would have done the job, no problem. But, I was going after some deeper defects from the re-paint. Some spots, the sanding marks are still present, so it will need more aggressive combo, maybe some sanding. I'll find out tomorrow what ends up working for it.

Post Thanks / Like

When Todd was with Autopia he made this thread which is good to reference when starting out with the UHS system.

Ferrari Daytona vs. Mk II BigFoot!

Here a couple vehicles I used it on

2010 Lexus ES350 - Rupes UHS + Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish

2015 Impala LTZ Corrected with Rupes UHS and Coated with Optimum Gloss Coat

2009 Corvette Rupes Mark II and Rupes Mini and Rupes UHS and Blackfire Wet Diamond

It works well and as Mike mentioned the pads soften up as they get warm.

14. Thanks PM5C thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus, PM5C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are some great write-ups, Guz. Excellent results.