autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommendation for pads for Rupes Duetto

Hi everyone!

Any recommendation to use for light swirls?

As well for light compounding?

Mike Phillips

Re: Recommendation for pads for Rupes Duetto

When this tool was first introduced I was really excited about it. In part because I have always like the Porter Cable polisher and this RUPES polisher "LOOKED" like a Porter Cable polisher and was the same basic size and shape. So I HOPED it would work even better than the Porter Cable. But alas.... I found it really struggles to maintain pad rotation.

My normal advice as a professional courtesy to the fine folks at RUPES from top to bottom is to use RUPES pads and products with RUPES tools until you become an EXPERT with their system. THEN once you become an expert with and within their system, then start experimenting with other pads and products. This way, if other brands of pads and products don't work at least you can fall back on the pads and product you already own.

RUPES folks don't eve interact on this forum anymore, too bad as our customers always appreciate getting info from an official source.

Mike Phillips

Here's my article on this topic of which pads to use with RUPES tools.

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers by Mike Phillips

The Air Test

In this picture, this RUPES BigFoot 21 is running on the 6.0 speed setting and is vibration free.

I came up with a simple test ANYONE can do to test if a non-RUPES buffing pad is compatable with a RUPES polisher.

The RUPES engineers designed their pads specific to the RUPES tools and backing plates for the intended purpose of reducing and eliminating vibration. This means the size, shape, thickness and weight of the pads are such that when attached to the matching RUPES backing plate and RUPES tool there is zero or very little vibration.

The Air Test

First - Hold a RUPES polisher in the air without a foam buffing pad attached to the backing plate in the [ON] position on speed 6. You will feel the tool vibrating.

Second - Attach the correct size RUPES pad for the backing plate and matching RUPES tool and repeat the above. That is hold the tool in the air in the [ON] position on speed 6. You will feel no vibration and a very smooth operating tool.

Now after doing the above you know what vibration feels like with no pad and what zero vibration feels like with the RUPES engineered pad.

Testing non-RUPES pads for vibration

To test a non-RUPES pad for vibration and compatibility, repeat the test with the pad you're thinking of using and see if there is any vibration.

• If no vibration, your choice, use or don't use the pad.

• If you feel vibration you will know it's the pad, not the tool.

Engineered for no vibration

I've done my research and real world testing and what I've experienced is that what RUPES states is true and that is they engineered their pads, backing plates and tools to work together to eliminate vibration.

It doesn't matter to me what pad anyone uses on any tool I just wanted to point out that when RUPES states their pads, backing plates and tools are engineered to work together to eliminate vibration they mean it.

I've always been what I call a systems guy that is given the choice I prefer to use a system approach versus mixing and matching products, pads and tools from multiple brands.

I'm not saying mixing and matching doesn't work but I think you hedge your bet when you stay inside a system designed by the same company. I also know it's the nature of the beast for people to want to experiement and use pads other non-RUPES pads or pads they already own on their RUPES polishers. The Air Test will tell you real fast if a pad is compatible.

On Autogeek.com

RUPES Color Matched 7" Foam Buffing Pads

RUPES Color Matched 6" Foam Buffing Pads

RUPES Color Matched 4" Foam Buffing Pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Didn't know there's much more to it.

Thanks for the info!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisong View Post

Cool. Didn't know there's much more to it.

Reducing vibration to the end user is an important aspect of tool design, I'd say more so than for other tool manufacturers at least historically. I know other tool manufacturers are focusing on tool vibration, for example FLEX and Griot's address it.

Part of tool vibration is the size, shape, weight and density of the pad "designed" to be used with the backing plate and tool. So "yes" there CAN be more to it but not always. My own experience is pad choice is important for reducing tool vibration but also for tool performance when using RUPES tools.

Use all the above as a reference. I don't really ever use the Duetto any more so I would have to re-visit the tool to re-discover which pads maintain pad rotation best. Could be that LC ThinPro pads work well? I would have to revisit to know though.

Just remember - when using your Duetto, if you are trying to remove below surface paint defects, that is swirls, scratches and water spots, then you must maintain pad rotation. IF the pad on any brand of free spinning random orbital polisher is not rotating (and oscillating), then you are not doing anything. By this I mean, you are not removing defects. You cannot effectively remove defects if all the pad is doing is vibrating against the paint.

Check out these two articles and put what they show into practice from the very start.

How to Monitor Pad Rotation? Mark Your Buffing Pads

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t own a RUPES Duetto. However...

I have the entire RUPES Bigfoot Polishing System.

A lot of the times, I find myself reaching for the yellow foam pads for like 85% of my polishing jobs.

For cutting, I use the blue and yellow wool pads and absolutely love them.

LATELY, the blue foam pad has been getting a lot of attention from me. The key thing is to make sure the pads are primed according to RUPES instructions.

Once you learn to be well versed with the entire system, I think you’ll be blown to pieces with it.

High-End Car Detailing at Your Residence * Portsmouth, NH

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the pad size used for the duetto may I ask?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisong View Post

What is the pad size used for the duetto may I ask?

The RUPES pad for this tool is a 150mm diameter pad or in American units, it's a 6" pad.

The backing plate is roughly 5" in diameter so you can use just about any buffing pad with a 5" or larger backing.

Click this link - you find info

Rupes 150 mm (6 inch) Foam Pads