autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not sure if I have an issue

That's what I was afraid of...
    Well, I'll be calling Rupes and see what they say.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us posted, Monica.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes DetailKitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I contacted Rupes... the machine is far out of warranty.

So I'd be looking at $95 flat fee just for them to diagnose if there is a problem.
    If there is, not sure how much parts and labor would be.

I feel like I'm at a dilemma... should I pay $95+??? to have this machine fixed?

Or do I use that money towards a new Flex XFE 3" polisher?

2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

I know this doesn't help you fix your issue but the experience you described is exactly why I opted to give Griot's Garage my money instead of buying a Rupes. If their machine was as superior as they claim they'd give better warranty.

If at least they said they will apply the diagnostic fee to the cost of repair after you approve it then it would be better but as it is I see why you brought up just buying something else, it can get expensive quick.
    Bruno Soares

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I know this doesn't help you fix your issue but the experience you described is exactly why I opted to give Griot's Garage my money instead of buying a Rupes. If their machine was as superior as they claim they'd give better warranty.

If at least they said they will apply the diagnostic fee to the cost of repair after you approve it then it would be better but as it is I see why you brought up just buying something else, it can get expensive quick.
    Sadly I've never been happy with it... maybe it's because it has been broken since day 1? Or maybe I'm just a Flex girl through and through.
    The XFE wasn't on the market when I got the Rupes... otherwise I would have bought it from day 1.

I don't have any Griots machines. I'm sure they are nice as well... I just prefer Flex.

No offense to Rupes or anyone who like their machines... it just hasn't worked out well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    Sadly I've never been happy with it... maybe it's because it has been broken since day 1? Or maybe I'm just a Flex girl through and through.
    The XFE wasn't on the market when I got the Rupes... otherwise I would have bought it from day 1.

I don't have any Griots machines. I'm sure they are nice as well... I just prefer Flex.

No offense to Rupes or anyone who like their machines... it just hasn't worked out well for me.
    When buying my 3” I settled on the flex, Rupes and Adams SK mini. I love Griots products but the 3” was out due to power complaints. The Rupes next due to stalling. I was settled on the flex because I don’t mind spending money on quality. I PM’d 3-4 of notable detailers on the Forum and all gave the SK mini rave reviews. At a 3rd of the price I decided o well if I don’t like it it’s not the first time I’d wasted $120. I have not regretted my purchase as it is a quality machine and worked well above my expectations. I understand if your brand loyal but if not..... check it out

FWIW: I also got nothing but amazing reviews on the flex mini but not many users out their. It is definitely a top notch machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    Well I contacted Rupes... the machine is far out of warranty.

So I'd be looking at $95 flat fee just for them to diagnose if there is a problem.
    If there is, not sure how much parts and labor would be.

I feel like I'm at a dilemma... should I pay $95+??? to have this machine fixed?

Or do I use that money towards a new Flex XFE 3" polisher?

Wow, that is pretty pathetic IMO.

If they told me "$95 just to diagnose..." I would be Pissed.

Just my opinion, Monica....... But I wouldn't give Rupes one more cent of my money.
    Get something with a good warranty, or something that actually works for more than a couple seasons without breaking.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Wow, that is pretty pathetic IMO.

If they told me "$95 just to diagnose..." I would be Pissed.

Just my opinion, Monica....... But I wouldn't give Rupes one more cent of my money.
    Get something with a good warranty, or something that actually works for more than a couple seasons without breaking.
    To be fair, the $95 covers shipping to and from the facility, cleaning and a few minor replacement parts (like cords)... but it doesn’t cover most of of the machine.... I'm thinking if I do have an issue replacing the cover or a cord isn’t going to fix it... the machine is pristine.

I bet a repair is going to be a couple hundred dollars... if my Rupes mini was a car it would have under 3,000 miles on the clock. I don’t want to pay that much to repair a basically brand new machine.

Sucks but it is what it is.

I will be checking out both the Adams machines and the Flex.
    Not in a rush to make a decision. It’s not a major necessity right now.

12. Likes PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's defently something wrong with your mini if it's only rotates and not oscillating. The oscillation is gear driven and makes the rotation by circular force from the oscillations. If hold it pad up and no cord in the electric outlet. Then spinning the pad by hand it should spinn quite easy if it's not against the shroud a lot. Next take a grip on the backing plate and move it around the offset. This you will feel some resistance from. But you would be feeling the gears rotating inside of the polisher. It sounds like you rotate an electric motor too. If this works as it should and feels. I think it can be that the counter weight may be loose or out of it's place or even forgotten to be installed LOL.

You could look at some reviews that Apex Detailing Channel on Youtube does on DA polisher. It's about the same build up tech wise. And pretty straight forward to open up and take a look.

This is a very strange fault I have never heard about. But almost anything is possible. Is the backing plate spinning free from the shroud or just a little amount of resistance against it? It should not be a problem to spinn the backing plate. The shroud should just stop the spinning part faster.

If you want to do some own trouble shooting with it.

/ Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12