autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

3 inch polishers

I am confused as to what the differences are in the electric 3 inch polishers from Rupes. Is older model just a DA and the new one a 9mm throw? for someone that does not know the differences it is confusing. Like it is pretty clear about the Mark I, II and III what they are and then the forced rotary in the 5/6 inch machines.

And then, can the 3 inch machines use 1 and 2 inch plates and pads like the air tool versions? or are you stuck at 3 inches?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 inch polishers

With the right adapters and backing plates you can make your PC7424XP or Griot's Garage 6" or any equivalent DA with the same backing plates as the 2 mentioned into 3" DA's. You can even go down to 1" Pads and Plates. I converted my PC7424XP as my mini DA and sealant/Wax applicator. Best mini DA FOR ME. There are many choices available. I would research the pros and cons of each!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

The key for me was changing the counterweight for smaller pads as well. My old 6" CW was way too "throwy" with 3" pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you meen the difference between the Rupes 75E mini polisher and the Rupes Nano ibrid polisher?

The mini polisher is with a 3" backing plate. But with the pads from Rupes it's 4" on the paint to the shape of the pad. It has a 12mm throw and is corded electric polisher.

The Nano polisher is with 2 different backing plates 1 1/4" and 2". It also have 3 different backing plates connectors with 1 that's a rotary connector and 1 is 3mm orbital connector and 1 is 12mm orbital connector. The pads size of these gets 1.5" And 2.75".
    This is a cordless polisher and also have a corded option in the kit where you put in the adaptor in where you have the batteries.
    So you basicly have 3 different polishers in one tool and with 2 different backing plates sizes.

On the mini polisher it is possible to use a 2" backing plate. The problem with that on a large throw as 12mm is that it can be tippy when you polishing. So there are not a oem version of backing plate to it. And with an even smaller 1" backing plate this gets more trouble to use it but can be done. The problem is also that with the smaller backing plate on a free spinning DA polisher they get way more aggressive and useally only 1-2 on the speed setting is used this way.

The Nano polisher is the perfect polisher for smaller backing plates and how you reach hard places to go. Would be the Griots Garage 3" polisher with a smaller throw that they have a kit with the 2" backing plate as an option to get.

Hope this helped some if I understod you correctly.

/ Tony

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post

I am confused as to what the differences are in the electric 3 inch polishers from Rupes.

Is older model just a DA and the new one a 9mm throw?

When it comes to the electric small polishers from RUPES the one that comes to my mind is this one?

RUPES LHR 75E Mini Random Orbital Polisher

And while I get it that a lot of people would put this in the category of 3" polishers like the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher and the FLEX 3" polisher, technically the only thing about it that is 3 inches is the diameter of the backing plate.

What it really is - is a 12m long stroke free spinning random orbital polisher. With it's 3" backing plate it will spin a 4" pad if you stick with RUPES pads but there are some smaller pads like the Lake Country 3.5" ThinPro pads that will also fit and work on this tool.

RUPES also has a pneumatic polisher with a 3" backing plate but the OP stated electric polishers?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post

And then, can the 3 inch machines use 1 and 2 inch plates and pads like the air tool versions?
    The answer is "no" at least not that I know of. The backing plate for the RUPES LHR 75 Mini is held on with a bolt that runs through the center of the backing plate. I'm not aware, or at least not remembering any 1" and 2" backing plates that are held on with a bolt that will also fit on the slotted spindle on this RUPES polisher.

Could be some ingenious individual has invented such a creature?

Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes 75 = 15mm
    Rupes 75E = 12mm like the rest of the mini

You can mount smaller plates , but the balance will be so bad you don't want to use it, nor is it good for the bearings..
    Some one needs to make a weighted 2 in plate

My take I've owned a 75E for years...never was truely satisfied with the lack or torque in the curves

For Torque I think 1 would be either CutForce 12mmm or a GG6 with Griot weighted HD 3in plate

Adams SK mini would be next
    I've never used zentool nor flex xfe3-12
    75E last

For balance/lack of vibration
    Smoothest is def 75E
    Adams SK is next
    Again, not sure where the zentool nor flex 3in falls
    CutForce 12mm
    GG6 HD 3in

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    The key for me was changing the counterweight for smaller pads as well. My old 6" CW was way too "throwy" with 3" pads.
    Paul, are you referring to the PC?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.