autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Polishers Help!

Quote Originally Posted by spanky1 View Post
    would I be better off going with the Flex-3401 instead?
    Yes/No. I have both and use them in my weekend business doing 1-2 per week so here's a few observations from me.

Flex is built better and is nicknamed the beast very appropriately. It has slightly better ergonomics too. The Mille is faster, cuts better and is smoother. It's now my go-to for polishing and AIO work. I keep my Flex and we use both but I like the slightly smaller orbit of the Mille for precision and the speed at which it works. It's faster in real life than the smaller numbers on paper show. If it's just for personal use you can't go wrong with either, but I would put the Rupes ahead simply for it's smoothness thus a weekend warrior on personal cars will appreciate it a lot.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

would I be better off going with the Flex-3401 instead?

I favor gear-driven orbitals for speed over free spinning orbitals for smoothness but that is just me.

I would strongly suggest trying to test both tools out before purchasing.

I bring all the tools you've listed including both the Mille and the BEAST to all my classes, even the boat detailing classes and let everyone use them and make up their own mind.

One thing for sure - from the feedback on the feedback forms, one of the best thing about our classes, unlike any vendor class, is that you get to use all the different tools. Over the years I can no longer count how many people "think" they're going to like one tool and then after using all the tools, discover a different tool that they like better.

I have 6 more roadshow classes coming up - feedback on the classes is always 100% positive and 60% of the people that take the classes are NOT detailers but simply car owners that want to learn the art and craft of car detailing. Plus use all the cool tools on usually cool cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Nope, Rupes remapped the brain of the motors. They moved the higher OPM’s of the II into the midrange of the III.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you saying that the Mark III has more OPM than the Mark II?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I favor gear-driven orbitals for speed over free spinning orbitals for smoothness but that is just me.

I would strongly suggest trying to test both tools out before purchasing.

I bring all the tools you've listed including both the Mille and the BEAST to all my classes, even the boat detailing classes and let everyone use them and make up their own mind.

One thing for sure - from the feedback on the feedback forms, one of the best thing about our classes, unlike any vendor class, is that you get to use all the different tools. Over the years I can no longer count how many people "think" they're going to like one tool and then after using all the tools, discover a different tool that they like better.

I have 6 more roadshow classes coming up - feedback on the classes is always 100% positive and 60% of the people that take the classes are NOT detailers but simply car owners that want to learn the art and craft of car detailing. Plus use all the cool tools on usually cool cars.

Thanks Mike,

How would you compare the Flex-3401 to the Rupes Mille?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

this is what I have researched ,

1) Rupes LHR15 ES-----$390.00

2) Rupes LHR15 Mark ll----$535.00

3) Rupes LHR15 Mark lll----$565.00

now can someone help me to make a wise decision on which one I should go with what would be the Pro's & Cons having a hard time which one to choose I don't want to purchase a machine and have a change of heart couple weeks after using it should 've went with a different machine.

Thanks for all your help,

greatly appreciated :-)
    Yes! MarkIII 125% all day every day. It simply doesn't stall compared to any other long throw machine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's my 2 cents...

If you're going to go with RUPES then go with the Mark III version. I have not used the Mark III version of the RUPES BigFoot 15 but I have used the Mark III version of the BigFoot 21 and it was easily better at maintaining pad rotation than the Legacy, (original version), and the Mark II.

When removing swirls and scratches you must have BOTH actions.

Pad rotation
    Pad oscillation

If the pad is not rotating it is also not oscillating, at least not enough to make the tool effective at removing paint and thus paint defects in a time-efficient manner.

So go with the Mark III

See my review of the BigFoot 21 Mark III by clicking the link below

Review: RUPES Mark III BigFoot 21 Polisher by Mike Phillips

This is simply the fact! Any haters and doubters that want to deny, play it down, talk about technique blah, blah, blah. They solved the stalling issue with these units.

Deal with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Technique is the most important factor in a detail. You can have a $100000 machine, but if your technique sucks it wont do what it was made to do.

Sorry your technique isn't up to par and you need an expensive machine to help mask your shortcomings, but let's not down talk a brand because you don't know how to use it properly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I went through all this as I have a bad habit of overkill. I settled on mark II as I didn’t want to start with a forced rotation for a noob.

I was waiting for the Black Friday sale on tools but Rupes was only brand not on sale. I read a lot about Griots boss g15 and AG has a package for 15$ dollars more that camexwith 5 boss pads (11$ ea) 3 nice MF towels and some pad cleaner. Also single polishers weren’t on sale but package was 20% off and they were including a free 50$ gift card.

Made my investment around $250 and about half the price of the mark II. Absolutely do not regret. Glad I didn’t start with a basic 8mm. Easy to use. Not to much pad stall but when their was easy to figure out. Adjust angle and contour (mikes recommendation for marking pads is a must ). Smooth as butter and have done 3 vehichles aleady.

As noob I would say definitely get the 15mm. I can highly recommend the Griots with the lifetime warranty but if you got your heart set on a Rupes go for it, Won’t be sorry. If you wanna do a Rupes I’d say mark III. Reason so easy for me to switch to the boss is I read a lot about stalling on Mark I and II.

Good luck and enjoy,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes DETAILROOKIE, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stalling is a non-issue for those looking to machine polish their own rides that are kept in good condition. Any machine, and I am including even the most modest 8mm will serve you just fine. Technique is key, and it is VERY simple to master.

Pro detailers (of whom I have professed my utmost respect for), have the situation of having to correct much deeper and serious defects on all different types of paints.

And time is money. Any Flex, Boss, or even a Rupes will fit this bill.

As for the weekend warrior, it is all up to you. You can achieve incredible results with a PC, or even a little better a Griot's 6.

JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Technique is the most important factor in a detail. You can have a $100000 machine, but if your technique sucks it wont do what it was made to do.

Sorry your technique isn't up to par and you need an expensive machine to help mask your shortcomings, but let's not down talk a brand because you don't know how to use it properly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Hahaha OK guy. I'm sure your technique is so much better then mine. I'm lucky I can even turn the machine on I guess. It's so hard to move a polisher up and down then left to right a small square at a time.

Griots Long throws are very expensive tools btw. They're only good for a long throw into the garbage can as far as I'm concerned.

The Griots long throws are only good for perfectly flat panels if you pay any attention to pad rotation you would see this easily.They are not even in the same class as the new Rupes Mark3's.

Listen, Rupes fixed the number one issue with all long throw polishers. They fixed the pad stalling so the tool can be used on the whole car effectively. Not just on flat panels. If you want to sit here and argue that pad stalling on curved panels with other long throw machines is not a problem go ahead. Anyone with google can see that you're incorrect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast