autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes LHR15 Mark II, for cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by braga View Post
    Thank you for replying, I never tried Rupes Blue Compound, there is no 250ml bottles for sale.
    OK, so I will use Menzerna HC400 compound, most cars will be Germany, can't decide which pads to buy.
    Rupes Blue Foam
    Meguiar's Microfiber DA Cutting Pad.

Foam should be more user friendly I guess. Will it cut hard clearcoat like BMW Black Sapphire Metallic (using HC400)?
    Meguiars mf cutting pad would give you more cut I think. But what Mike says you will removing paint. So all depends on the depth of the scratches and swirls to level the paint down to defect free. And Mike also always mentions that oem paint is thin. It depends much of the expectations you have on how much of defects you want to correct. Some trashed paint is not possible to get defect free as you would need to be removing too much paint.

I would recommend to get a paint thickness gauge so you have some control over what you have when you start and how much paint you remove. Then you have that paints behave different when compounding and polishing. So one combo of compound and pad may not get the wanted results on the next car. There comes test spots in to the play so you see what works for the car you are working. And even the same car can behave different as it can have repainted panels and there are different materials that paint can behave different on. As with the plastic bumbers and aluminum panels and carbon panels and so on. And on some of these materials your paint thickness gauge don't work. So sometimes it's best to be on the safe side when removing paint so you don't get through it.

A car can been heavy compounding before and you have much less room for compounding more. This is just so you don't always go for defect free as you could be paying for a repaint instead. Go for a clear and glossy finish and the defect removal that you are comfortable to do. Sometimes you see mostly the cars that detailer correct to defect free or almost defect free. A few times you see them put up the cars that is needed or you don't get payed for doing much more than a polishing and cleaning and clear up the finish.

And also depending on the customer you have. Is it one that will drive it to the swirlomatic car wash the week after you made it defect free. And the customer comes back after 6 months and the paint is full of scratches and swirls again. Then the customers paint won't last long. If the customer is willing to take good care of the car with a great wash technique and drying. Then you can do a more defect removal and when comes back it's only a finishing polish to be doing. This is for the trashed paint cars. So it's much of the expectations you have from the customer.

Is there any other brands that you can get polishes and pads that is also sold on AGO? Just so we don't break the forum rules. Otherwise shot me a private messege and we could see if I can help you out some. The Meguiars mf cutting pad and HC400 you will get great from. But some of the germans paint is rock hard LOL. There are wool pads and heavy cut compounds that would get you more cut. But it's good to have a range of setup that you can mix combos with so you get good results without removing too much paint.

2. Thanks braga thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you a lot! Will mark my Rupes backing plate and pads for sure.
    Yes, I'm new in polishing, but I really love this hobby.
    I already read that topic "non Rupes pads on Rupes polishers".
    I guess I'm going with Rupes Blue Foam and HC400, I saw your post with positive feedback about Rupes Blue Foam + FG400 (as far as I know HC400 is FG400 with a new name )
    Rupes Yellow + Yellow is a great option for one step polishing? After that, I will put some wax using Rupes LHR15 Mark II with Rupes Diamond (White foam pad)
    The Keramik + Yellow foam can eliminate some defects, but I use it more in a finishing capacity. It usually clears up light damage, but leaves a crystal clear gloss.

I like Keramik with yellow microfiber for one step applications. Quarz on Yellow foam, and the UHS system are also excellent one step solutions.

I've used FG400 on Rupes microfiber pads with excellent results. Zephir also works great with them. Performance wise they have some similarities. The Zephir seems to cut quicker, and exhibits a shorter buffing cycle - which to me is a good thing. They both seem to dust the same. The FG400 has a very strong solvent odor, where the Zephir has a bubble gum type scent. I've had 400 make me nauseous even though I like the solvent scent..

I've also used the white foam to apply sealants, and it performed as expected, played down even, thin coats of product.

4. Thanks braga thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Meguiars mf cutting pad would give you more cut I think. But what Mike says you will removing paint. So all depends on the depth of the scratches and swirls to level the paint down to defect free. And Mike also always mentions that oem paint is thin. It depends much of the expectations you have on how much of defects you want to correct. Some trashed paint is not possible to get defect free as you would need to be removing too much paint.

I would recommend to get a paint thickness gauge so you have some control over what you have when you start and how much paint you remove. Then you have that paints behave different when compounding and polishing. So one combo of compound and pad may not get the wanted results on the next car. There comes test spots in to the play so you see what works for the car you are working. And even the same car can behave different as it can have repainted panels and there are different materials that paint can behave different on. As with the plastic bumbers and aluminum panels and carbon panels and so on. And on some of these materials your paint thickness gauge don't work. So sometimes it's best to be on the safe side when removing paint so you don't get through it.

A car can been heavy compounding before and you have much less room for compounding more. This is just so you don't always go for defect free as you could be paying for a repaint instead. Go for a clear and glossy finish and the defect removal that you are comfortable to do. Sometimes you see mostly the cars that detailer correct to defect free or almost defect free. A few times you see them put up the cars that is needed or you don't get payed for doing much more than a polishing and cleaning and clear up the finish.

And also depending on the customer you have. Is it one that will drive it to the swirlomatic car wash the week after you made it defect free. And the customer comes back after 6 months and the paint is full of scratches and swirls again. Then the customers paint won't last long. If the customer is willing to take good care of the car with a great wash technique and drying. Then you can do a more defect removal and when comes back it's only a finishing polish to be doing. This is for the trashed paint cars. So it's much of the expectations you have from the customer.

Is there any other brands that you can get polishes and pads that is also sold on AGO? Just so we don't break the forum rules. Otherwise shot me a private messege and we could see if I can help you out some. The Meguiars mf cutting pad and HC400 you will get great from. But some of the germans paint is rock hard LOL. There are wool pads and heavy cut compounds that would get you more cut. But it's good to have a range of setup that you can mix combos with so you get good results without removing too much paint.
    Thank you a lot, great info for newbie like me. Will text you PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    The Keramik + Yellow foam can eliminate some defects, but I use it more in a finishing capacity. It usually clears up light damage, but leaves a crystal clear gloss.

I like Keramik with yellow microfiber for one step applications. Quarz on Yellow foam, and the UHS system are also excellent one step solutions.

I've used FG400 on Rupes microfiber pads with excellent results. Zephir also works great with them. Performance wise they have some similarities. The Zephir seems to cut quicker, and exhibits a shorter buffing cycle - which to me is a good thing. They both seem to dust the same. The FG400 has a very strong solvent odor, where the Zephir has a bubble gum type scent. I've had 400 make me nauseous even though I like the solvent scent..

I've also used the white foam to apply sealants, and it performed as expected, played down even, thin coats of product.
    Thank you, actually I do have Rupes Green (Quarz) compound, so it works great with Rupes Yellow Foam for one step polishing?
    Can you use Yellow pad + Keramik, if you used Quarz on that pad before? (after a good wash)

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Quarz on the yellow does a good job removing defects and delivering a nice finish.

I use Quarz, Keramik, and Diamond all on the yellow pads - one at a time though. That's why I like to carry anywhere from 8 to 16 pads of a given type with me. And yes, if I do a job with Quarz on the yellow pad, I wash them and can use whatever other polish I like on them.

Keramik on the green pads was actually pretty nice too. But I prefer the user experience of the yellow and white foams over the blue, green, and grey in the Rupes line. I'll use them, and they work extremely well, but for heavier defects I tend to use microfiber in the Rupes line.

I plan on ordering the wool pads soon. They seem a lot easier to deal with, and seem to deliver excellent results.

7. Thanks braga thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Yep, Quarz on the yellow does a good job removing defects and delivering a nice finish.

I use Quarz, Keramik, and Diamond all on the yellow pads - one at a time though. That's why I like to carry anywhere from 8 to 16 pads of a given type with me. And yes, if I do a job with Quarz on the yellow pad, I wash them and can use whatever other polish I like on them.

Keramik on the green pads was actually pretty nice too. But I prefer the user experience of the yellow and white foams over the blue, green, and grey in the Rupes line. I'll use them, and they work extremely well, but for heavier defects I tend to use microfiber in the Rupes line.

I plan on ordering the wool pads soon. They seem a lot easier to deal with, and seem to deliver excellent results.
    I can see Rupes Microfiber pads in blue color and in white. Both are Coarse pads, as far as I know they "upgraded" them?

Post Thanks / Like

I can see Rupes Microfiber pads in blue color and in white. Both are Coarse pads, as far as I know they "upgraded" them?

Yes, they have been "upgraded".

I prefer the original pads.

The new cutting pads have a less dense pile. This allows them to spin better, but the fibers mat down very quickly, and don't seem to have the top end cut the originals had.

Conversely, the new yellow pads are very thick and plush. Because of this they resist rotation, but they do cut and finish pretty well. Again. I still prefer the original.

Overall, the new pads are much, much more durable.

10. Thanks braga thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12