autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes LH19E Rotary review

So I had a chance to get to use this tool a few times and would like to give my thoughts on it!

First off, Whats in the box? You get the polisher, a loop handle and a 5 inch backing plate.

Now lets be honest here, the rotary polisher is certainly not a new tool and as far as the action.....it spins......simply put.

When you grab this tool, the first thing you notice is the 30 foot cord.......Ugghhh not my thing. I know some guys like the long cords. I personally do not and wish there was an option for different sizes like some other brand polishers offer. But not a deal breaker by any means.

Now the tool itself is extremely light. I mean like 3/4 of a pound(give or take) lighter than the Flex 14-2.

I prefer a stick handle which unfortunately did not come in the package. Thankfully I have the Rupes one it is on it's way. So I attached the loop handle to give it a try. This isn't a crappy loop handle. The handle has an amazing feel and is by far the nicest on the market. You can angle it to your preference and secure it with included bolts.

The ergonomics of this polisher are fantastic. Everything just flows and it is well thought out. If you prefer no stick handle or loop, the head of the polisher has a nice rubber coated area for you to hold on to. The speed control is great and you can feel the positive clicks as you adjust from speed to speed. There are the rubber bumpers that everyone likes from Rupes so you can set the polisher down while not in use.

The trigger on this rotary is simply amazing. It feels great when squeezing it. It has a rubber coated pad that allows you to grip with ease and provide anti slip operation. The progressive feature is awesome. You can feather this polisher down to about 20 RPM's if you really wanted to. To me that is such a huge benefit. When working is delicate areas or on edges, I like to really take it easy and this trigger allows for that. The trigger also allows you to keep the speed way low when spreading product or if you are just learning how to pick up a bead of product.

The RPM range is listed as 450-1700 with the trigger lock on. To me this is the perfect range for automotive detailing work. I would never go higher than that and the 450 is lower than most other polishers allowing you to jewel at that speed if you so desire.

Even tho this is a small polisher, it has plenty of power. I was using a 7.5 inch pad and had no issues with power or slowing....and I tried to slow it down.

When running at low speeds for extended periods of time, it is still very cool. Rupes nailed the air flow down really well I feel!

It is so compact and agile that it is great for precision work with smaller pads!

Operation is really smooth and unlike other polishers, there is no gear chatter. It is quiet altho I need to direct compare to other polishers like the Flex 14-2.

So as of right now I feel this is a fantastic rotary for detailing that I would recommend to both pros and beginners. It has quickly became my favorite. My only 2 complaint is the longer cord which I will most likely cut and I wish it included the stick handle.
    Jim

2. Thanks DBAILEY, Diner, dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes mbkite, SWETM, dlc95, Farmallluvr, fly07sti liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Rupes LH19E Rotary review

Nice review!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes LH19E Rotary review

Nice review. I totally agree with you on the polishers that come with their own long cord... The cords are flimsy and they really get in the way. I’d much rather they have a short cord and allow me to plug into a proper extension cord of my choosing that lays where it should without a bunch of kinks just waiting to get caught on everything in its path because of its light weight.

I prefer all things to have a short cord... My vacuum came with a really long cord but it never comes out if I can help it... I keep it wrapped up with a zip tie and always use an extension cord. Makes things much neater to put away too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review Doc!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I’m the opposite, I wish my Metrovac had a decent sized cord. I think the current one is 4-5 feet and is way too short. I have no problem with a short polisher cord though, my detailing cart has outlets so the long cord would get very much in the way. It should be an option. None of the other Rupes has a crazy long cord.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’m the opposite, I wish my Metrovac had a decent sized cord. I think the current one is 4-5 feet and is way too short. I have no problem with a short polisher cord though, my detailing cart has outlets so the long cord would get very much in the way. It should be an option. None of the other Rupes has a crazy long cord.
    We’re all different and like what we like for our own reasons. There is no right or wrong. Just personal preference. I would like to see the option for a long or short cord to suit the individual purchaser.
    Jim

8. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim, You mentioned that you thought it was great using the Rupes LH19E Rotary with very small diameter pads. Do you own a Flex PE-8? If you do own one, do you think you'll still switch to it for 1", 2", 3" pad work or stick with the Rupes LH19E?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Jim, You mentioned that you thought it was great using the Rupes LH19E Rotary with very small diameter pads. Do you own a Flex PE-8? If you do own one, do you think you'll still switch to it for 1", 2", 3" pad work or stick with the Rupes LH19E?

Yes I do own a PE8. It’s a great tool but I don’t like the fact that it has an on/off switch rather than a trigger. You can definitely use the LH19E with smaller pads. There are better options like the Nano or I have air operated polishers that are very tiny.

Can this replace a PE 8???? I will say a good portion of the time you can use this over the PE 8 if you needed to. Hope that helps.
    Jim

11. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That trigger is exactly what I was thinking about. I so wish the PE-8 had a trigger. I have Proxxon mini rotary polisher with 1 and 2" extension bars that I use for very tight work with 1" and 2" pads.

If you have a moment and if you're good at uploading pictures (I know I'm not) could you please post a picture of the PE-8 next to the Rupe's LH19E. I just want to judge its bulkiness to something I'm familiar with.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    That trigger is exactly what I was thinking about. I so wish the PE-8 had a trigger. I have Proxxon mini rotary polisher with 1 and 2" extension bars that I use for very tight work with 1" and 2" pads.

If you have a moment and if you're good at uploading pictures (I know I'm not) could you please post a picture of the PE-8 next to the Rupe's LH19E. I just want to judge its bulkiness to something I'm familiar with.

Thanks.

I’ll try to get a photo for you later. I’m always on my phone and can never get the pics to work tho. The LH19E is definitely longer than the PE8 if that matters to you.
    Jim

14. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast