autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes LH19E Rotary review

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Nice to hear that the rotary works great for you.

How do you think this trigger will work on the mkIII longthrows?

I'm torn between the rotary polisher and a mkIII longthrow polisher. The problem I have is physically and is sensitive to both vibrations and how much it's wearing the muscles. Less vibrations goes to the rotary and the less wear on muscles I think goes to the longthrows.
    How is it with polishing with the Rupes rotary on the muscle wearing in your opinion vs a longthrow polisher?

Have used the Rupes rotary pads yet?

/ Tony
    Hi Tony!

1) I think the trigger will be a nice improvement. You can throttle down for priming/spreading product then ramp up and hit the trigger lock and get to business. It will also be nice in sensitive areas where you are trying to be extra careful. Such as emblems and lower panels. You can throttle down in these areas and when your clear pull the trigger fully.... all without ever having to play with the speed dial!

2) When talking muscle fatigue vs vibration that can be kind of subjective. When talking hoods, roofs and trunks.....The rotary can be more physical if you are not holding the pad properly. Then the other view on the same is that you are getting the work done faster and there is less time involved using your muscles.

Vibration is a factor in long throws but if you use the Rupes “system” it is very minimal and way different from the jiggling of a PC type machine. I prefer the Flex long throw and that is a very smooth operator. Vibration is a non issue for me personally. Yes there are vibrations but nothing that I personally mind.

Now getting back to muscle fatigue but let’s talk vertical panels(where realistically/typically most of the surface area is to polish). We’re often not in ideal posture positions when doing verticals parts. So this is where muscle fatigue really plays into the equation. Unlike horizontal panels where you are basically just steering a polisher and maybe adding some more down force on top of machine weight, verticals panels require you to support the full weight of the machine, apply some pressure to the paint thru the polisher AND steer the machine. This is where the ultra light weight of the Rupes rotary shines when comparing to other rotary machines.

Now to compare a long throw vs a rotary on vertical panels it’s close with muscle fatigue. Remember the rotary is faster but the long throw may be a little easier to steer here. So it’s a toss up. For me if it’s a really awkward position I still like a PC style machine so I can polish one handed.

Personally I would use a rotary all the time if I could. But some paints systems won’t allow me to. Holograms are a reality. All my One Step and AIO jobs get the Flex 3401 treatment. Some paints get finished with a long throw, some with a rotary and some an 8mm throw free spinning DA. I let the paint pick the polisher.

Well I’ll I hope that helps and makes some sense to you.

3) I have not tried Rupes pads on the rotary. Waiting on the Rupes rotary polishes and compound to become available.

I dont feel the rotary is as is as critical to use the system approach from Rupes as their long throws. I already have pads and buffing liquids that work great for me. The spinning action of a rotary is nothing new.

Jim
    Jim

2. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much Jim for your input!

Yeah it's a hard call between what would be less wearing on the injuries I have. Since they are affecting both from vibrations and how much it's wearing the muscles.

And yes it's the vertical panels I try to think out what's best suits me. Then I have both nerve damage in both the neck and the lower back. So on the horisontall panels the lower back is a problem too. I just should not be polishing LOL.

I really do like to be learning to polishing with a rotary. But think it may suit me more to have a orbital polisher. I have a 21mm longthrow polisher now and it works great but is a low end copy of the Rupes. So much is to gain with either the Flex or Rupes longthrows in smoothness running when used.

And as you noted with different paints I do them too. So there is another point to a orbital polisher. Maybe I go with a better longthrow polisher now and see if the budget allows I would get a rotary down the road.

Is it that much difference in the time save with a rotary vs a longthrow polisher even when take out the heavy compounding out of the question?

Thanks again for your opinion Jim. It's very much worth for me to hear what the difference between the rotary and orbital polishers is.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

Is it that much difference in the time save with a rotary vs a longthrow polisher even when take out the heavy compounding out of the question?

/ Tony
    In that case not huge but noticeable. Adds up by the end of a detail.
    With a rotary you can also use smaller backing plates and work smaller areas for precision buffing.
    Jim

5. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123