autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best combination with Sonax perfect finish - help

The most asked about questions , which are all the best combination to get show car finish, but for me it is slightly different how do I get the best finish with the tools and pad I have.

The car is VW polo which has swirl marks though it had been maintained well for the last two years .

Tools :

Rupes LHR 12 E Duetto
    Lake country HDO 5” MF pad
    Rupes yellow and white foam pads
    Rupes zephir course gel
    Sonax perfect finish
    Sonax polymer net shield

I will pep the car by the rules of the detailing industry standard.

I have access to the lake country HDO foam pads the blue and the orange pads. Though I would have to purchase them.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best combination with Sonax perfect finish - help

I think that your VW Polo has the well knowned hard clearcoat. Do a test spot with Rupes yellow pad and Perfect Finish and see what correction it gets you. If not enough move up to LC HDO mf pad and Rupes Zephir. That is the most aggressive combo you have. And it could still not be aggressive enough on your Polo cause of the hard clearcoat. But are you satisfied with the results. I would follow up with the Rupes yellow pad and Perfect Finish to get it to gloss some more.

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SWETM will try this week end and let you result

Just for my understanding does the finish depends on the pads or the compounds used.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to step on Tony's toes here but to answer your question...i believe both pad and product selection have an affect on the cut and finish of the paint.

As Mike Phillips says, the most important thing is the abrasive technology used in liquid products (compounds, polishes) but used with different density or types of foam pads can increase or decrease the ability a bit too.

Generally speaking, you would tend to use heavier cut products with more aggressive pads and lighter abrasives with finishing pads but I do vary that rule sometimes for subtle differences.

For finishing I tend to stick with finer or milder abrasives and a finishing or very fine cut pad. With that said, I have used Menzerna HCC 400 (compound) with a white Lake Country hybrid pad on my Flex 3401 on very hard paints to actually finish. It's rare I do that but is an example of breaking the rules a bit.

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On that is a very good insight agree rules are meant to be broken. In most of the scenario we are forced to work on limited tools since our access to various combinations is close to impossible. I am India and we don’t get access to many products.

As you know it is highly polluted and climate changes drastically does have an impact on the compounds and pads .

I work on a car during the summer where in the temp ranges between 48 to 54 degree Celsius and during winter were in drops below 30 degrees

Does the external temp impact the quality of finish derived out of the polishes and compounds I use

Thanks
    Manil

Post Thanks / Like

It's many variables that comes in with the compound and polish and pads. Mostly how the paint reacts with them. Some harder clearcoats can even be scratch sensitive as they still marring the paint with a to aggressive combo of pads and polish. And some brands of abrasives is not able to finish perfectly with even the least aggressive combo. That's why it's so important to do test spot and see how the paint you are working on reacts.

Let's say your first test spot with the Rupes yellow pad and Perfect Finish almost gets you the results you wanted. But you would want just a little more cut. Then you would go up to a Rupes green pad and Perfect Finish and it could get you the wanted results. But since you have the LC mf pad as next in the higher aggressiveness of pads. It can leave you with useing perfect finish on the mf pad a micro marred finish cause you went too aggressive. The option would be to get the LC HDO pad that is slightly more aggressive than the Rupes yellow pad. Perfect Finish has the ability to cut rather aggressive when combo with a cutting pad. It's in the great abrasive technology.

Then it depends on what kind of defects the clearcoat has. As in how deep they are. Some can accually seems to be very deep and neglected. When it can be wash and dry marring that is very shallow. And while some can be less marring and you have deeper scratches from says mf towels that has been very dirty with little stones in them. So even from looking at the paint it's hard to say what will work or not in the least aggressive way that is. Cause some just go at it with the most aggressive combo they have and then a finishing polish and done. But this way you can level down the clearcoat more than need to be done.And clearcoats are very thin. So the least aggressive combo and test your way through with what you have. And maybe clean and prep a couple of test spot sizes first. Do some testing with what you have. And if you don't get the results you want. You could order products that can be more suited.

This is also to over thinking it LOL. It mostly what your expectations is from your polishing. One thing that I can see with your products. Is that the Zephir compound can be a little to gentle. If you have deeper defects. To finish with either the yellow or white Rupes pad and Perfect Finish. Are going to make your car glossy and shiney. But you don't need to get all of the defects out. And sometimes if they are very deep defects they are best to leave them as you get them from your compounding. Then concentrate on getting the best finish you can get.

Anyone with experience with Rupes Zephir compound please shaim in on this. But have something back in my head if used with a mf cutting pad it can dust a lot. It is so I don't recommend you to use a combo that will be a not so great experience when useing it.And I'm very unsure of this.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll start off by agreeing with Tony in going with the most agressive pad you have if Perfect Finish is the only polish on hand. I used Sonax 04/06, which is very similar to Perfect Finish on my black VW and it had almost no effect on swirls when using a medium cut polishing pad.

External temperatures will have an effect on your products. When using products either above 33C or below 10C I've notice they start to behave differently. When hot, they dry out faster, get dusty, and are hard to spread and remove. When cold, they seem to smear, cause streaking, and become hard to remove.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you SWETM and Desertnate will try a test spot soon and will post pictures from there will find my way through.

I am really happy on the response received , will keep posting my experiences and also take as much advice from the experienced members

My pleasure to be in this form of educated car detailers community

Thanks
    Manil

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

It's many variables that comes in with the compound and polish and pads. Mostly how the paint reacts with them. Some harder clearcoats can even be scratch sensitive as they still marring the paint with a to aggressive combo of pads and polish. And some brands of abrasives is not able to finish perfectly with even the least aggressive combo.

That's why it's so important to do test spot and see how the paint you are working on reacts.
    Good stuff Tony...

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I'll start off by agreeing with Tony in going with the most agressive pad you have if Perfect Finish is the only polish on hand.
    Agree.

Just to note, SONAX Perfect Finish is formulated for use with rotary polishers but I've had good luck using it with anything.

To the OP - Everything comes down to your Test Spot. I recommend you always test on the hood or the trunk lid. Why? Because the horizontal panels usually have the most wear-n-tear PLUS you want to LOOK DOWN on your test area to really evaluate the results.

Also - if you need to do more than one test spot, always test in a new section of paint. If you test in an area you already tested your results will not be accurate.

12. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manilruben View Post
    The most asked about questions , which are all the best combination to get show car finish, but for me it is slightly different how do I get the best finish with the tools and pad I have.

The car is VW polo which has swirl marks though it had been maintained well for the last two years .

Tools :

Rupes LHR 12 E Duetto
    Lake country HDO 5” MF pad
    Rupes yellow and white foam pads
    Rupes zephir course gel
    Sonax perfect finish
    Sonax polymer net shield

I will pep the car by the rules of the detailing industry standard.

I have access to the lake country HDO foam pads the blue and the orange pads. Though I would have to purchase them.

Are you only wanting to do a 1-step Polish?

'03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast