autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes for pads and polish

Has anyone on here had problems with the UHS pads? I love the UHS system. But the pads deteriorate quicker than any I’ve ever seen before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    The HC400 is naptha based. From pf2500 and up they are white mineral oil(petroleum) based. Don't know how much of impact they have on the glue on the Rupes pads. But in the long run it can be that the pads don't hold up so great. And there alot of other polishes that is solvent based. Most of the AIO for an example has that based. Maybe the new Sonax pads could be an option to try.
    This is what has me so interested in the 3D line. ACA 500, 520, and One. They're not supposed to have such heavy solvents in them.

Donald Williams mentioned that some of these products has kerosene in them that helped cut paint by softening it. He also mentioned that these solvents degrade the foam faster than the liquid in 3D One.

With the new ceramic aluminum abrasives they're trying to get away from these solvents, and rely more on the abrasive to do the actual cutting - in conjunction with the pad and machine.

I like Menzerna a lot. I've done a few sections with FG400 on a blue Rupes foam, and SF4000 on yellow quite a few times. I honestly didn't use the FG/Blue enough to see if it damaged the pad...

3. Thanks gecceanduana thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    This is what has me so interested in the 3D line. ACA 500, 520, and One. They're not supposed to have such heavy solvents in them.

Donald Williams mentioned that some of these products has kerosene in them that helped cut paint by softening it. He also mentioned that these solvents degrade the foam faster than the liquid in 3D One.

With the new ceramic aluminum abrasives they're trying to get away from these solvents, and rely more on the abrasive to do the actual cutting - in conjunction with the pad and machine.

I like Menzerna a lot. I've done a few sections with FG400 on a blue Rupes foam, and SF4000 on yellow quite a few times. I honestly didn't use the FG/Blue enough to see if it damaged the pad...
    From just looking at sds sheet 3D also use both petroleum destillates and white mineral oil. And their One has a mix of them around 50%. The ACA 500 and 502 has a little lower with around 20% mix. Then they are maybe better than kerosene. Menzerna has naptha in it too. Wonders how the new VOC free polishes from Menzerna is?

5. Thanks gecceanduana thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well, what other brand pads do you use

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gecceanduana View Post
    well, what other brand pads do you use
    If I were planning to use Menzerna on Rupes pads, I'd get Rupes coarse microfiber to cut, and the yellow foam to polish. I've used FG400 on their original blue microfiber pads, and followed with SF4000 (3500) on yellow, which was a pretty solid combination. PF2500 on the yellow is a great one step.

That yellow foam is very durable, and very versatile. It's Rupes more rigid foams that are more prone to rapid breakdown.

You could also look into Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber microfiber pads, and Uro-Tech yellow foam polishing pads. The foam on the blue, yellow and white are almost identical to the Rupes foams. Almost indistinguishable.

8. Thanks gecceanduana thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, gecceanduana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The yellow Rupes is a must to at least try out. Many speaks highly of the yellow wool pad from Rupes too. I have the URO-FIBER mf pads at home but not tried yet. We have a little different offerings here in Sweden. So Lake Country pads and B&S is not available here.

Are you going to use your rotary polisher or getting a DA?

10. Thanks gecceanduana thanked for this post
    Likes gecceanduana liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The yellow Rupes is a must to at least try out. Many speaks highly of the yellow wool pad from Rupes too. I have the URO-FIBER mf pads at home but not tried yet. We have a little different offerings here in Sweden. So Lake Country pads and B&S is not available here.

I have both rotary and DA machine. but I don't want to use rotary. as I have a plan ; deep stratch - meg. mf dmc5, behind rupes green and rupes yellow.
    @dlc95 your recommended pads are not sold here, but I will try to buy them. thank you for your advice. I will also try the lake country pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both rotary and DA machine. but I don't want to use rotary. as I have a plan ; deep stratch - meg. mf dmc5, behind rupes green and rupes yellow.
    @dlc95 your recommended pads are not sold here, but I will try to buy them. thank you for your advice. I will also try the lake country pads

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gecceanduana View Post
    For Lake Country, try their orange HDO foam, and HDO microfiber cutting pads. Also excellent quality. The orange foam is very similar to Rupes yellow.

15. Thanks gecceanduana thanked for this post
    Likes gecceanduana, SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your information. I will also try the lake country pads

17. Likes dlc95 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast