autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 Rupes in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Yes using washer mod. I usually use speed 4 to 4.5 when doing compounds or AIO. When applying waxes or using CarPro Essence, I use speed 3.
    Without the washer mod, I run the Rupes at 3-3 1/2—capable of defect removal.

I never needed to use the washer mod, but can assume that as long as there’s proper pad rotation, there’s no need to be up to 4-4 1/2. It seems like you are just creating the unnecessary byproduct of heat—resulting in shorter pad service life.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

2. Likes dlc95, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    Without the washer mod, I run the Rupes at 3-3 1/2—capable of defect removal.

I never needed to use the washer mod, but can assume that as long as there’s proper pad rotation, there’s no need to be up to 4-4 1/2. It seems like you are just creating the unnecessary byproduct of heat—resulting in shorter pad service life.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Even being fairly new to high speed random orbitals I have noticed this as well,,I had a pad break loose just the other day and even though it was well used I noticed the pad face was cool to the touch but where it loosend up from the velcro was very warm.

I was running about 3 or 3.5 on an orange LC pad using Megs 205 ,RBL Rupes knockoff and basicly just goofing off putting a shine on a back row hoopty,,thats what I save my old pads for and try new things out on.

I am guessing this kind of heat transfer is pretty much par for the course
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    Even being fairly new to high speed random orbitals I have noticed this as well,,I had a pad break loose just the other day and even though it was well used I noticed the pad face was cool to the touch but where it loosend up from the velcro was very warm.

I was running about 3 or 3.5 on an orange LC pad using Megs 205 ,RBL Rupes knockoff and basicly just goofing off putting a shine on a back row hoopty,,thats what I save my old pads for and try new things out on.

I am guessing this kind of heat transfer is pretty much par for the course
    Think it's dlc95 that has written about the different hook and loops on the backing plates suits different velcro on pads. When they are not a match the wear and tear on the velcro is high. And with the power from the longthrow action it can be hard on the pads velcro. Can be something to think of but hard to know what's suits the backing plate you use.

I think that I will be testing to turn down the speed on the polisher. Think it's Jason Rose that uses very low speed when he polishing. 3-4 when compounding and 1-3 when polishing. The abrasives is so effective and of high quality that more speed is not needed. It's like the high speed rotary polishing is also almost not needed anymore. You don't need to go over 1000rpm with how the abrasives is today. So there are different technique to get to the same end goal. Find something that works and polishing on

5. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes rlmccarty2000, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Think it's dlc95 that has written about the different hook and loops on the backing plates suits different velcro on pads. When they are not a match the wear and tear on the velcro is high. And with the power from the longthrow action it can be hard on the pads velcro. Can be something to think of but hard to know what's suits the backing plate you use.

I think that I will be testing to turn down the speed on the polisher. Think it's Jason Rose that uses very low speed when he polishing. 3-4 when compounding and 1-3 when polishing. The abrasives is so effective and of high quality that more speed is not needed. It's like the high speed rotary polishing is also almost not needed anymore. You don't need to go over 1000rpm with how the abrasives is today. So there are different technique to get to the same end goal. Find something that works and polishing on
    I'm not 100% certain, but I believe most of the long throw polisher plates are made with micro hooks.

Rupes had a problem with the mk2 grey easy release plates, because people typically mash the pad into the panel, thus causing the excess heat to melt the hooks.

Sometimes day to day wear in loop material can cause friction. As the loops wear, the fit isn't as tight and snug allowing for excess movement. This movement is heat generating friction.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Autogeekonline mobile app

7. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

I’ve been saying this for a long time. I rarely go above speed 4 for any reason. Moving higher will increase pad wear and heat. Everyone wants more power for their RO polishers, try working on technique instead. I’m still using my first generation Rupes 21 for horizontal surfaces with no problems. If you think you need more power grab a rotary or Flex 3401, but if you already own a Rupes just fine tune your technique. I love the people that want to increase the power of the Rupes Mini. It will already melt the pads on 6, why? Heat is the enemy and running at a higher speed creates more heat. Sorry for the rant.

9. Likes SWETM, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’ve been saying this for a long time. I rarely go above speed 4 for any reason. Moving higher will increase pad wear and heat. Everyone wants more power for their RO polishers, try working on technique instead. I’m still using my first generation Rupes 21 for horizontal surfaces with no problems. If you think you need more power grab a rotary or Flex 3401, but if you already own a Rupes just fine tune your technique. I love the people that want to increase the power of the Rupes Mini. It will already melt the pads on 6, why? Heat is the enemy and running at a higher speed creates more heat. Sorry for the rant.
    Same here.

No washer. Never over speed 4.

Guys like to do the mashcrank. Speed 6, standing on the tool.

11. Likes rlmccarty2000, VitreousHumor, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

when I got my RBL I went balls out at first but after awhile I realized I was causing more work for myself.

After some googling I found the Autogeek website and that helped me slow down,find proper pad selection and product selection,,this site has really helped my gameas far as High Speed Random orbitals are concerned.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

13. Likes SWETM, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m anti-washer mod too. I’m not smarter than the tool engineer.

15. Likes dlc95, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    The PC is "old faithful".

I've been really lucky with the Rupes stuff I have, but I only really use it for high end paint correction/enhancement lately. I also don't use it outside of their system, which means no washer mod or aftermarket pads/polishes (Not because the other stuff doesn't work - it just doesn't work as well - in my hands). Even on my cart with deep sides, I stepped on the cord last summer and the thing fell head first on the cement driveway, cracking the cap (Duetto) where I grip the polisher... The PC has proven to be very robust in that situation - not that I try to make a habit of stepping on cords resulting in a polisher crash!

If I know the power outlet might be suspect, or the environment is questionable, I just take the PC, and get to work. Between microfiber pads and advanced compounds, there isn't much it can't do. The one I usually use is a 2006, I found used on ebay for $45.00 or so + shipping. My 2011 7424xp I got new, and that thing has been put through It's paces... Of course I also have the 3401 that is also on stand by for those huge jobs like bucket trucks, campers, and trailers..

I have yet to go on a job without one of those two PC's. Even if I don't use it, It's presence brings a certain peace of mind.
    Old Faithful is so true. I had to reach for the PC this past weekend because my Rupes 21 was dead and it only received minimal usage, but man my arms were itchy. I'm going to purchase the Makita DA now. I'm sending the Rupes in for fix, but if it dies again, I will use it as a huge pad drier.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Old Faithful is so true. I had to reach for the PC this past weekend because my Rupes 21 was dead and it only received minimal usage, but man my arms were itchy. I'm going to purchase the Makita DA now. I'm sending the Rupes in for fix, but if it dies again, I will use it as a huge pad drier.
    I don't get the tingly hands, but being a drummer for 32 years might have something to do with that.

I find that the weight for the 6" plate works great with the 5" plate/pad set up. The added weight helps with the extra weight of the pad + liquid. Based on pure physics even that small amount of weight brings inertia to help it maintain rotation. However, with a 3, or 4" pad, it will vibrate. That's why I have a dedicated tool with the 5" weight for smaller pads.

I'm not a fan of 5 or 6" plates with the 5" weight. The 7424 feels sluggish and weak with them unless cranked up to 5 or 6.

I know years ago the theory that these weights made a difference was dismissed, but I say try it for yourself and see.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast