autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 Rupes in 3 years.

I think the light pressure technique is why all my pads are dying on the Rupes. Without pressure, the velco interface is taking the brunt of the friction from the machine. When I get the Boss 15, I will try to use it like a normal polisher, applying about 10 to 15 pounds of pressure and see if the pads keep dying on me. I have been using the PC for about 3 weeks now and not a single pad died. The only difference I can see is that I apply pressure on the pad while working. I have been using the machine at speed 6 only.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I think the light pressure technique is why all my pads are dying on the Rupes. Without pressure, the velco interface is taking the brunt of the friction from the machine. When I get the Boss 15, I will try to use it like a normal polisher, applying about 10 to 15 pounds of pressure and see if the pads keep dying on me. I have been using the PC for about 3 weeks now and not a single pad died. The only difference I can see is that I apply pressure on the pad while working. I have been using the machine at speed 6 only.
    Were you using a washer mod and/or high tool speeds?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen how Rupes recommend to prime their pads? Think the green rupes pad is the most sensitive to need to be primed thoroughly. You hold the polisher on the somewhat same spot for 20-30 seconds and then reload with the useally dots of polish. The prime with polish before prime working the pad or how to describe it. Read this instead to get it right lol

Tech Tips with Todd - Pad Priming - RUPES USA

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Have you seen how Rupes recommend to prime their pads? Think the green rupes pad is the most sensitive to need to be primed thoroughly. You hold the polisher on the somewhat same spot for 20-30 seconds and then reload with the useally dots of polish. The prime with polish before prime working the pad or how to describe it. Read this instead to get it right lol

/Tony
    Blue and grey also benefit from this priming technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Were you using a washer mod and/or high tool speeds?
    Yes using washer mod. I usually use speed 4 to 4.5 when doing compounds or AIO. When applying waxes or using CarPro Essence, I use speed 3.

6. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

/Tony
    I don't use Rupes pads. They are twice as expensive as any other pads including the ones I like the most: Meguiars Microfiber cutting disks.

I have gone back and forth between priming and not priming pads since everybody feels differently about it. Can't say I have seen any noticable difference between doing it or not. But honestly, I really doubt that priming would have any impact on the velco failing on the pads. It is supposed to make pads more effective at correcting. Also it prevent dry buffing with part of the pad.

8. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes using washer mod. I usually use speed 4 to 4.5 when doing compounds or AIO. When applying waxes or using CarPro Essence, I use speed 3.
    Light pressure + Anti Spin = Longer pad life. It regulates the excessive rotation, which is really brutal on pads, and brings up the oscillation, which isn't as hard on the pads. It keeps things in a state of balance.

I fried a few pads running the Duetto modded on higher speeds, even using both light and moderate pressure.

The washer mod seems to work better with aftermarket pads/liquids.

When using some of the Rupes proprietary accessories on a washer modded tool..

Cons:

1. Larger open pore Blue, Green, and Grey pads are almost completely unusable. The excessive rotation throws the liquid out from under the pad, rather than "mashing", or working it into the paint under the pad.

2. Excessive rotation prematurely exhausts the lubricants in the formula, causing excessive dusting, and unsynchronized abrasive cycling. This could lead to compromised defect removal, and marring of finish.

3. More vibrations, and erratic behavior by comparison to a non modded tool.

Pros:

1. Great with the new microfiber finishing pad. The pad is so dense that when covered with abrasives, it has so much drag that it resists rotation. On a modded tool it will spin normally, comfortably.

2. Usable with yellow and white pads.

I would never suggest anyone do what they don't want to do, but just some observations while in use.

10. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I just received both my new Boss 15mm and my Torx 22D today. So I will be able to see if I get the same issues with pads. GG includes the washers to mod the machine, which is a very nice touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just received both my new Boss 15mm and my Torx 22D today. So I will be able to see if I get the same issues with pads. GG includes the washers to mod the machine, which is a very nice touch.
    That would be great to know.

Thank you for conducting the experiment!

Post Thanks / Like

How are you liking your new polishers? Any feedback?

ScottH

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast