autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 Rupes in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by B5visser View Post
    I'm sure you guys know this, but Rupes offers $85 flat rate repairs the covers shipping both ways on their tools.

I sent my 21mk2 in last week after it just died in the middle of a job. They ended up replacing the power cord, entire eccentric assy, another bearing, new brushes, and a few other small misc. items. Well over $85 of parts alone!

I hoping to have it back early next week. Until then, I'll use my backup 21mk2 and Flex XFE7 (which I still LOVE btw).
    Thanks for the info.

It seems a lot of us are having issues with the Rupes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Is this during or after the warranty period?
    It is good after the warranty expires. They replace a lot I'd parts, including any cracked plastic housing pieces. There is one part they won't replace under this program. The main brain I guess.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

So what are you planing to do?

I decided to go with a Boss 15mm to replace my Rupe Bigfoot 21es (mark 1). I think it was a great machine but having to send it to the USA to get it fixed is just ridiculous. Not counting the fact i will have to pay shipping both ways (about 70$ total) and be without a machine for about a month, the 1 year warranty is a joke compared to Griot's lifetime warranty. So for me it was an easy choice.

I also ordered at Torx polisher as a backup. I don't know how good (or bad) they are. I wanted a Hyet machine but none of the resellers will ship to Canada

So in your case, if I remember correctly you had to get surgery a few years back because of the vibration of the polishers, what are you planning to do? Rupes machines are butter smooth. I don't know if any other polisher on the market are similar. I know Yvan Lacroix recommends a machine that is supposed to be even smoother than the Rupes but I cannot recall the name or brand.

Hyet makes a clone of the Rupes, and so does Adams. Again, not sure they are as smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    So what are you planing to do?

I decided to go with a Boss 15mm to replace my Rupe Bigfoot 21es (mark 1). I think it was a great machine but having to send it to the USA to get it fixed is just ridiculous. Not counting the fact i will have to pay shipping both ways (about 70$ total) and be without a machine for about a month, the 1 year warranty is a joke compared to Griot's lifetime warranty. So for me it was an easy choice.

I also ordered at Torx polisher as a backup. I don't know how good (or bad) they are. I wanted a Hyet machine but none of the resellers will ship to Canada

So in your case, if I remember correctly you had to get surgery a few years back because of the vibration of the polishers, what are you planning to do? Rupes machines are butter smooth. I don't know if any other polisher on the market are similar. I know Yvan Lacroix recommends a machine that is supposed to be even smoother than the Rupes but I cannot recall the name or brand.

Hyet makes a clone of the Rupes, and so does Adams. Again, not sure they are as smooth.
    I'm going with the G15.

You're right, the Rupes is smooth but just unreliable for me.

Rupes either has to build it better or bring the price down.
    Even my PC outlast the Rupes and it's one of the oldest on the fleet

I've read good things of the G15 and can't beat their warranty.

My Flex3401

I've used it to buff out buses, campers, large RV'S, cargo trailers and more and still like the day I bought it, before Rupes purchase.

IMO the Rupes is good for those who may use it a few times each year but not made well enough for my busy shop.

vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Is this during or after the warranty period?
    After the warranty expired on both of them unfortunately.

vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    I'm going with the G15.

You're right, the Rupes is smooth but just unreliable for me.

Rupes either has to build it better or bring the price down.
    Even my PC outlast the Rupes and it's one of the oldest on the fleet

I've read good things of the G15 and can't beat their warranty.

My Flex3401

I've used it to buff out buses, campers, large RV'S, cargo trailers and more and still like the day I bought it, before Rupes purchase.

IMO the Rupes is good for those who may use it a few times each year but not made well enough for my busy shop.

That's just a damn shame. Like I've posted before, all that money, then they want to nail you on the repairs too.

Every type of machine will break on someone, no matter the brand. But I feel at ease with Griots and their Lifetime Guarantee.

Also agree on your observations on the PC. I bought a 7424XP, but have used the sander model (same exact machine) for years and years at my work. That thing goes through hell and back. over 15 years old, and the only thing I've ever done was replace the brushes (twice), and the power cord.

They are little tanks, for sure.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Thanks jdgamble thanked for this post
    Likes HateSwirls, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    That's just a damn shame. Like I've posted before, all that money, then they want to nail you on the repairs too.

Every type of machine will break on someone, no matter the brand. But I feel at ease with Griots and their Lifetime Guarantee.

Also agree on your observations on the PC. I bought a 7424XP, but have used the sander model (same exact machine) for years and years at my work. That thing goes through hell and back. over 15 years old, and the only thing I've ever done was replace the brushes (twice), and the power cord.

They are little tanks, for sure.
    The PC is "old faithful".

I've been really lucky with the Rupes stuff I have, but I only really use it for high end paint correction/enhancement lately. I also don't use it outside of their system, which means no washer mod or aftermarket pads/polishes (Not because the other stuff doesn't work - it just doesn't work as well - in my hands). Even on my cart with deep sides, I stepped on the cord last summer and the thing fell head first on the cement driveway, cracking the cap (Duetto) where I grip the polisher... The PC has proven to be very robust in that situation - not that I try to make a habit of stepping on cords resulting in a polisher crash!

If I know the power outlet might be suspect, or the environment is questionable, I just take the PC, and get to work. Between microfiber pads and advanced compounds, there isn't much it can't do. The one I usually use is a 2006, I found used on ebay for $45.00 or so + shipping. My 2011 7424xp I got new, and that thing has been put through It's paces... Of course I also have the 3401 that is also on stand by for those huge jobs like bucket trucks, campers, and trailers..

I have yet to go on a job without one of those two PC's. Even if I don't use it, It's presence brings a certain peace of mind.

9. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

I've been really lucky with the Rupes stuff I have, but I only really use it for high end paint correction/enhancement lately. I also don't use it outside of their system, which means no washer mod or aftermarket pads/polishes (Not because the other stuff doesn't work - it just doesn't work as well - in my hands). Even on my cart with deep sides, I stepped on the cord last summer and the thing fell head first on the cement driveway, cracking the cap (Duetto) where I grip the polisher... The PC has proven to be very robust in that situation - not that I try to make a habit of stepping on cords resulting in a polisher crash!

If I know the power outlet might be suspect, or the environment is questionable, I just take the PC, and get to work. Between microfiber pads and advanced compounds, there isn't much it can't do. The one I usually use is a 2006, I found used on ebay for $45.00 or so + shipping. My 2011 7424xp I got new, and that thing has been put through It's paces... Of course I also have the 3401 that is also on stand by for those huge jobs like bucket trucks, campers, and trailers..

I have yet to go on a job without one of those two PC's. Even if I don't use it, It's presence brings a certain peace of mind.
    I think the reason my PC works so well was your light pressure recommendation.

I use this same technique with my GG6 now. I can't thank you enough for this tip, my brother.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Great idea always having a PC on hand.

vpcajun@gmail.com

13. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I think the reason my PC works so well was your light pressure recommendation.

I use this same technique with my GG6 now. I can't thank you enough for this tip, my brother.........
    Oh man, I'm glad it helped! I didn't think anyone else would try it. Jon from Forensic Detailing on YT also seems to enjoy this approach as well.

Yeah, the 7424, GG6, and the old G110v2 are really nice, no frills, no fuss no muss tools. I love being able to slap a pad on it and get to work.

15. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast