autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Mille vs 3401 - UPDATED Thoughts

WRAPT C5Z06, TTQ B4U and Ronin47...Thank you so so much for your assistance and guidance, I really appreciate it. Most importantly I learned that compound/polish plays a bigger part than I originally thought.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    1. For me the Yellow wool cuts better, leaves a better finish and is more durable than the blue foam.
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    Ronin47, if I may ask...

Which compound/polish do you use on the Yellow Wool pad? The Yellow or Blue Rupes compound that came with the kit or a different brand?

Thanks

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Krypt0n1te View Post
    Ronin47, if I may ask...

Which compound/polish do you use on the Yellow Wool pad? The Yellow or Blue Rupes compound that came with the kit or a different brand?

Thanks
    All types of compounds but really liking Clear Cut.

4. Thanks Krypt0n1te thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Krypt0n1te View Post
    Hi Guys!

TTQ B4U, thank you for this thread.

Anyone out there that can assist I would really appreciate it.

I own the Rupes Mille deluxe kit that came with the 4 pads and the 2 compound/polishes. This is my first polisher ever so nothing to compare against and really just still learning and experimenting.

So here are my 3 questions...

1. I know the Blue Wool pad is the most aggressive with the Yellow Foam pad the least aggressive, but how does the Yellow Wool Pad compare to the Blue Foam Pad?

Does the Blue Foam pad cut more than the Yellow Wool pad or vice-versa?

2. Let's say I use the Blue Wool to cut, it is fine to directly after that finish with the Yellow Foam, in other words, will the least aggressive pad I have (Yellow Foam) remove hazing and marring from my most aggressive pad I have (Blue Wool) or should I use something inbetween?

3. Will the Yellow Foam pad give me a really well-defined finish or is it better to invest in some White pads and accompanied polish for a more refined finish?

Thanks, Guys!
    1. Have a look at this chart - Foam vs. Microfiber vs. Wool: Polishing Pad Comparisons - RUPES USA and this video for info on the various pads and relative performance comparisons YouTube

2. In most cases any combo of blue for cutting/yellow for finishing (regardless of material) is going to be your go to with our system. On harder paints the yellow wool will finish perfect, but may haze on softer paints. In those situations finish with yellow foam.

3. Yellow is fine in most situations. The white is what I would consider more of a highly-specialized finishing foam for extremely soft paints, haze prone paints, or stuff thats just really difficult to finish.

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    1. Have a look at this chart - Foam vs. Microfiber vs. Wool: Polishing Pad Comparisons - RUPES USA and this video for info on the various pads and relative performance comparisons YouTube

2. In most cases any combo of blue for cutting/yellow for finishing (regardless of material) is going to be your go to with our system. On harder paints the yellow wool will finish perfect, but may haze on softer paints. In those situations finish with yellow foam.

3. Yellow is fine in most situations. The white is what I would consider more of a highly-specialized finishing foam for extremely soft paints, haze prone paints, or stuff thats just really difficult to finish.
    Thank you for the links! Good stuff.

What are your thoughts on the green pads on the Mille? I have a full set but have not tried them.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post

Hi Dylan, IIRC, on a past chart, Rupres did not recommend the white pad for soft paint.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Thank you for the links! Good stuff.

What are your thoughts on the green pads on the Mille? I have a full set but have not tried them.
    Bump!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Hi Dylan, IIRC, on a past chart, Rupres did not recommend the white pad for soft paint.
    Indeed. Todd did suggest yellow or UHS for finishing. Blue and green combos for more cut. White wasn't mentioned for OEM Soft.

Could be personal preference for Dylan.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump for Rupes Mille vs Flex 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Bump for Rupes Mille vs Flex 3401.
    Have used my Mille on a number of details since starting this thread. Brief thought in addition to what I've shared thus far:

Pros:
    • Smoother and quieter when using Rupes pads vs the 3401 with Hybrid Force Pads
    • Slightly quieter or at least the sound is more tolerable
    • 25+ ft cord. At first I was like Meh....but since, I really like that I can work with it more easily
    • Smaller orbit is easier to use in tighter areas but then the Flex is still small to me compared to long throw units
    • Speed selector on the Rupes is nicer than on the flex and location is better too
    • After using it for a while then going back to the Flex, the Mille does prove to correct faster. It rotates noticeably faster even though on paper it doesn't seem like a huge difference. Makes it great for AIO/polishing.

Downsides:
    • Ergonomics on the Flex are way better. The trigger on the Rupes locks in place but it's way too easy to trip/bump thus requiring it to be re-locked on. Never had that issue with the 3401 because the trigger is more recessed. The grip on the Flex is nicer too. I tend to hold triggers in my right hand when operating thus my left hand is for downward pressure and controlling the pad. The Rupes requires I grip around the bad as the handle/foot on that side is too small and not easily gripped. I don't have big hands either, just average. (no Trump jokes please) as I do have big feet
    • The Rupes is also taller thus under spoilers, front air dams, grills, etc. the Flex fits but the Rupes doesn't. It's also a little longer and feels a little heavier but that could just be in my head.
    • I also think Rupes pads are more limited. I have been using the UHS system and their Green pads.....both of which are thicker and not necessary directed to be used on the Mille but they do work well on it. The downside is they take a beating and in the short time I've had it, I've had to replace two UHS Pads and I have two green pads that are about to be replaced and I actually already have two new ones. I'm suspecting they aren't as strong as the hybrid force pads thus the torque is hard on them.
    • I'm okay and understand that and may in the end just not use them but will continue to use the UHS Polish as it seems to work really really well. that said, I find the blue coarse pads horrible for splatter. If there's a trick to using them with compounds and not splattering I've not found it. Instead I just use my flex with wool and call it a day. Not sure I'll ever use the blue pads honestly as the splatter is stupid bad.
    • I've tried the Medium wool pads on the Mille and they work....but honestly, the LC Purple and blue wool on the Flex work way better thus I won't be using the Mille for compounding. Just polishing and AIO jobs.

I'm sure there's more but it's late and I'm tired. Hope the above helps.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

13. Thanks JustJesus, SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus, SWETM, mc2hill, MTLean liked this post
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast