autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Mille vs 3401 - UPDATED Thoughts

First thank you for your unbiased review of the various tools used in your detailing business.

Based on what you have written I have recently purchased 2 of the Rupes Mille and their pads (I already have 2 of the Flex 3401) and given that time is always an issue for me (and not being a detailing professional) I am constantly exploring the most efficient way to have great looking family cars with only a one step process and then a coating. Since I bought the Rupes Mille liquids my plan was to polish my Black Lexus GS350 with the Mille polishes (either fine or extra fine), then coat with Opti Gloss Coat. 2 years ago I used Flex with Menzerna SF3500 and then Opti Coat and the car looked excellent but I wanted a smoother tool since the Flex is beast and just beats my hands up terrible.

I was wondering if you have a preferred process for the Rupes Mille with CarPro Essence since that product combines a polish with a coating and that just seems to be an unbelievable combination, if I can dial it in right. I see you have used Essence with the Mille and any thoughts on technique (how many passes, tool speed, product usage) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for these amazing write-ups - they were very informative.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    First thank you for your unbiased review of the various tools used in your detailing business.

Based on what you have written I have recently purchased 2 of the Rupes Mille and their pads (I already have 2 of the Flex 3401) and given that time is always an issue for me (and not being a detailing professional) I am constantly exploring the most efficient way to have great looking family cars with only a one step process and then a coating. Since I bought the Rupes Mille liquids my plan was to polish my Black Lexus GS350 with the Mille polishes (either fine or extra fine), then coat with Opti Gloss Coat. 2 years ago I used Flex with Menzerna SF3500 and then Opti Coat and the car looked excellent but I wanted a smoother tool since the Flex is beast and just beats my hands up terrible.

I was wondering if you have a preferred process for the Rupes Mille with CarPro Essence since that product combines a polish with a coating and that just seems to be an unbelievable combination, if I can dial it in right. I see you have used Essence with the Mille and any thoughts on technique (how many passes, tool speed, product usage) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for these amazing write-ups - they were very informative.
    Hello my friend. be good. Do you have a picture of rupes mille. Will you send it to me?

HUAWEI RIO-L01 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Post Thanks / Like

With Essence on the Rupes White Pads, I've found the working time is great. Much much better than the Lake Country White Hybrid Force Pads. IMO since the pads are smaller, thinner and constructed differently, the advantage I see is the product/lubricants stay on the paint more vs soaking in and thus allows for a longer working time and less drying out. I'm also able to work larger areas at a time now too.

The amount of working time and passes is relative to the amount of polishing needed. YMMV depending on what combo of product you may have used prior to compound and thus the haze they may have left. On surfaces that are just being polished, I have found 3-5 passes is sufficient. There too however, it will depend on the vehicle and their paint system. Soft Honda paint is super easy, harder Ford F150 paint I've had to work longer to achieve top results.

On the Mille I ran essence at speeds 5-6. It's a polish so correction is what you're after and it's nice to see vs my previous combo on the Flex I can now run slightly higher speeds and get the job done quicker without issue.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Thanks mbpress01 thanked for this post
    Likes mbpress01 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Mille is hands down much easier to use for me. It goes clockwise instead of counter clockwise, so you’re not wrestling with it half the time. The Rupes is also much easier on your hands.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick question: Don’t your earplugs make it boring? You ever try getting some wireless headphones and pair it to your phone?

Post Thanks / Like

Since you have a 3401 that took care of the heavy work..why didn't you go with the Mark 11 15, instead of another forced rotation? IMO the Mark 11 finishes better than any forced rotation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
    Quick question: Don’t your earplugs make it boring? You ever try getting some wireless headphones and pair it to your phone?
    They also have Bluetooth ear plugs (not ear muffs) that are awesome. Great noise reduction so you don’t need a lot of volume to hear what you’re listening to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    As a further follow up, I jumped in a bit deeper and ordered up a couple of the 5.5" Rupes Coarse Wool Pads to pair up with CarPro Clear Cut. Normally I do all my cutting with LC Purple Wool and Clear cut the Flex 3401 so I'm interested to see if with their wool pad on the Mille if I can get a bit more efficiency out of things. It does spin faster and has more orbits and thus if I can save even one pass or get better corrections on the passes I do make, combined that could translate into measurable savings which equals time which equals money!

I also added in some of their UltraFine Polish to pair up with the White Polish pads. After using clear cut and purple wool there's hardly any hazing but it's still there and just a few passes with a polish brings everything to perfection. Curious to see how their polish performs against the likes of Gyeon's Primer and CarPro's Essence. The latter has some fillers which I love having as on dark colors it really creates some depth. That said, I'm always looking at refining things through better products.

For an all around polish combo I prefer the yellow. IMO the white is geared more toward really soft paint, again just my opinion. I love the yellow pad and polish. Decent cut and finishes great.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    For an all around polish combo I prefer the yellow. IMO the white is geared more toward really soft paint, again just my opinion. I love the yellow pad and polish. Decent cut and finishes great.
    Agree but when using ClearCut with Purple Wool all that's needed is the fine polish of a white pad with some Essence. Finishes out in just a few passes and with mirror like results. I could go yellow where needed but haven't needed to yet.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Since you have a 3401 that took care of the heavy work..why didn't you go with the Mark 11 15, instead of another forced rotation? IMO the Mark 11 finishes better than any forced rotation.
    I won't go with a non-forced rotation unit. I see no issues with finishing on either unit and have zero interest in working with a unit that isn't forced.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast