autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Mille vs 3401 - UPDATED Thoughts

Had another detail where the Mille was my go-to unit. Tesla S correction involved both the Rupes UHS System and the Rupes Coarse Wool pads vs LC Blue and Purple wool. Here are my thoughts:

UHS SYstem.....Jury is out until after I use it on an upcoming BMW M5 that according to the owner just has mild swirls. We'll see. Here on the Tesla I did I was a bit put-off by it. Didn't cut nearly as much as I expected. I did the entire Passenger side with the Grey UHS Pads and their respective UHS product. Took about 6-7 passes at moderate speed to correct the vehicle to just about perfect. Not bad for a one-step but overall, not what I'm looking for. The other half I did with 3-4 passes of LC Blue/Purple wool with CarPro Clear Cut and got better correction in far less time. Especially since my arm speed can move up too. From there, it's a snap to make 2-3 quick passes with a white pad and polish. Sounds like the two should be a wash given two wipe-offs and still 6-7 total passes but it's not. I still moved faster with the two-step. and the wipe off of Essence is super easy.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a combo of pads including the UHS System but I also just picked up and recived a bottle of Sonax Cut & Finish. It supposidly cuts very well and finishes out the same. We'll see. Could be that I'm just ultra-spoiled using ClearCut and Wool. The only other downside to that combo that I'm hoping a one step will alleviate is the dusting. ClearCut doesn't dust as much when used with foam but on wool, just about anything dusts.

Another thing I tried with the Mille is the Rupes Coarse Wool Pad. It performed ok but here too, I won't likely be adding more than the two pads I have. LC Blue/Purple wool are EXCELLENT and not only cut better but finish out excellent too. They do reduce the smoothness of the Mille but it's still better than the Flex running those same pads and still, both combo's are easy for me to use.

Stay tuned for more.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the continued updates. Although I don't see a Mille in my near future, it's nice to know what's going on, how it performs, and your combination of products on both machines. Thank you

4. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the UHS isn't performing as well since the Mille was designed to work with the thinner Rupes pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I wonder if the UHS isn't performing as well since the Mille was designed to work with the thinner Rupes pads.
    Not sure. Their site shows it's optimized for gear driven units so I would imagine they are referencing the MIlle while at the same time covering the Flex 3401. "The unique construction of the UHS foam was specifically chosen to work in conjunction with the UHS Easy Gloss polishing compound and on BigFoot Random Orbital or Triple Action polishing tools."

I see no reason why it would't work with the flex and given I have a smaller backing plate, I could try it on it. I'll find out more later and update this thread.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Not sure. Their site shows it's optimized for gear driven units so I would imagine they are referencing the MIlle while at the same time covering the Flex 3401. "The unique construction of the UHS foam was specifically chosen to work in conjunction with the UHS Easy Gloss polishing compound and on BigFoot Random Orbital or Triple Action polishing tools."

I see no reason why it would't work with the flex and given I have a smaller backing plate, I could try it on it. I'll find out more later and update this thread.
    Interesting. UHS has been out for quite a while, but the Mille not so much.

And yes, it does work with the Flex. I've used it a couple of times. Most recently, like 2 weeks ago on a Porsche GT3 (black) for a test spot. It did pretty good and left a nice enough gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for shareing your experience and thoughts about the Mille. I have my thoughts on getting one.

How is it with the opm when switch to the smaller backing plate? Does it get you lower opm with direct-drivenDA?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Interesting. UHS has been out for quite a while, but the Mille not so much. And yes, it does work with the Flex. I've used it a couple of times. Most recently, like 2 weeks ago on a Porsche GT3 (black) for a test spot. It did pretty good and left a nice enough gloss.
    I think I saw that thread. My guess is the pads would be a bit better overall if thinner but time will tell if they re-release them that way like they have done the blue, yellow and white.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Thanks for shareing your experience and thoughts about the Mille. I have my thoughts on getting one.
    How is it with the opm when switch to the smaller backing plate? Does it get you lower opm with direct-drivenDA?
    I am using the smaller backing plate and 5.5 pads. Haven't tried it with the larger backing plate as I have my Flex 3401 set up with the large plate so I can use both when/where needed.

10. Likes SWETM, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did a few test spots on the M5 that's here for detail. Good news is the Rupes UHS system works in one step. This will be a HUGE time saver on this one. I'll compound the hood and trunk with CarPro ClearCut and blue wool just because they are bad and need to be perfect. No need on the rest though.

I tested Sonax cut and finish with the UHS pads and it did great too but there a slight edge to the details with UHS in finishing out a bit better.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

12. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Did a few test spots on the M5 that's here for detail. Good news is the Rupes UHS system works in one step. This will be a HUGE time saver on this one. I'll compound the hood and trunk with CarPro ClearCut and blue wool just because they are bad and need to be perfect. No need on the rest though.

I tested Sonax cut and finish with the UHS pads and it did great too but there a slight edge to the details with UHS in finishing out a bit better.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    Hello my friend. I want to get a rupes mille. but I am hesitant because there are not many videos. Are you satisfied with rupes mille? Do you have the opportunity to test video and do yada mille while doing some practice? Does uhs cake work alone? Do uhs have cake picture?

HUAWEI RIO-L01 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttopak View Post
    Hello my friend. I want to get a rupes mille. but I am hesitant because there are not many videos. Are you satisfied with rupes mille? Do you have the opportunity to test video and do yada mille while doing some practice? Does uhs cake work alone? Do uhs have cake picture?

HUAWEI RIO-L01 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
    I "might" have some time today to set up a video and get it posted. The main reason I usually don't put so much in videos and pics is I'm on a schedule time-wise but I'll certainly look at trying for you.

The Rupes UHS System is a combination of their UHS One-Step Polish/product and their UHS Pad System. Photo wise, I'll final product results for sure. However, to compared Cut/Finish side by side with UHS in a photo, the differences won't likely show. It's subtle between the two and if I ran out of one, I'd use the other. That said, in person, there is a a slight finishing edge to the UHS Product over Sonax. Further comparisons will be done as Sonax may perform well with another pad or even with some of the hybrid force pads on my Flex. There's an opportunity for me to test that combo today too and I may. I think what you would notice most in the video is the sound of the Mille being different and no so harsh when compared to the Flex and Hopefully the difference in rotational speed will show. Now that I've used it for several corrections, when I flip back to the Flex, the rotational speed is noticeably slower. Partly due to the Set up I'm running is 5.5" pads on the Mille and 6.5" pads on the Flex but part is also to the fact that they are different.

For others, this is a case of where doing a test section with various products and pads certainly pays off as the various combos do play differently depending on the vehicles finish. UHS Did not play as well on the Tesla but here on the BMW it's a big winner.

Here are a couple "BEFORE" shots as of late day yesterday. The cell pics here actually look better than it is in person. I'll have more under controlled lighting later today when I'm done as part of my write up in the Show-N-Shine Section of the forum.

Photo 1
    Photo 2

15. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast