autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Mille vs 3401 - UPDATED Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
    What size wool pads fit and what size do I want to use with the Mille for 20" ski boat? I am about to place an order. Thanks.
    You can run either the 5.5 or 6.5" Personally I went 5.5 as I already have 6.5's on my flex and wanted to keep the Mille Smoooother and more efficient in terms of cutting speed.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The online store here has 6" and 7" wool pads for Rupes, so 6" would would best you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    You can run either the 5.5 or 6.5" Personally I went 5.5 as I already have 6.5's on my flex and wanted to keep the Mille Smoooother and more efficient in terms of cutting speed.
    With forced rotation, a bigger pad will cut faster than a smaller pad. FYI, the Mille has a 5mm throw, not 3.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    FYI, the Mille has a 5mm throw, not 3.
    Check. I noted it's 3mm smaller....than the 8mm throw on the Flex. Although IIRC I think the mille is a 5.5mm throw as noted in the Flex learning center vids.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Check. I noted it's 3mm smaller....than the 8mm throw on the Flex. Although IIRC I think the mille is a 5.5mm throw as noted in the Flex learning center vids.
    Whoops, my fault.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

My Rupes Mille will be moving into my first-place spot

Another update as my use of the Rupes Mille Continues.

Good news is that I honestly have come nearly a full 180* on my thoughts about the Mille. I have absolutely found the RUPES Pads are the difference maker here. If you own a Mille or are looking to buy one, get the pads to be 100% satisfied. I have all of them now and have used the Yellow and White on recent details and the difference between them and the Lake Country and other pads is night and day. They did do a great job pairing the two.

I am now at the point since I've used the Mille on my last two jobs that it's going to be my go-to polisher vs my Flex units. I love my 3401's and ergonomically they are better, but the Mille is noticeably quieter and with the Rupes Pads, it is noticeably smoother too. Just feels way more precise if that makes sense. The Flex is definitely a "beast" but the Mille is one also. I'm a gun guy so it's like firing a nice pistol with a suppressor and a red dot vs no suppressor and some good old fashion fiber optics sights.

I will say however, the Rupes also feels like it corrects much faster. The rotational speed side by side is faster full-on with Speed 6. I even found myself dialing it back to speed 5 for even more control and yet still amazing correction speed. On the STi I corrected, it was me and friend using both units and while I was much more skilled in terms of using both and it was his first time using a Flex vs a traditional DA, I was 1 to 1.5 panels ahead after working on the sides together. I think Joe from NextLevel said it best that the Mille is a "swirl eraser" as I found that to be so true. It more precisely erasers swirls vs brutally removing them.

More thoughts to come but I did want to share my updates as I'm sure I'm not the only Flex User wondering if there indeed is something better out there. I have two 3401's that both get a lot of use, one more than the other, so now my only long long term thoughts will be on durability down the road. I hope the Rupes lasts as long and does as well durability wise as my Flex units have. Time will tell.

Thanks for reading!

7. Thanks JustJesus, PurpleTowel thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, JustJesus, PurpleTowel, mbkite liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I stated 9 months ago the Mille corrects faster than the 3401 and runs smoother, cooler etc. Wait till you get more hours behind it and that difference will grow larger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    I stated 9 months ago the Mille corrects faster than the 3401 and runs smoother, cooler etc. Wait till you get more hours behind it and that difference will grow larger.
    I'm not sure about running cooler though. Maybe on the paint surface..... Perhaps it's that on Mille I find the better grip for me is to cup my hand around the base vs using the palm grip that to me is too narrow. That's part of what I mean with ergonomics in that the grip on the flex is flat, wider and more easily used and comfortable. I just can't find myself using the one on the Mille as much for that reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Rupes Mille will be moving into my first-place spot

Another update as my use of the Rupes Mille Continues.

Good news is that I honestly have come nearly a full 180* on my thoughts about the Mille. I have absolutely found the RUPES Pads are the difference maker here. If you own a Mille or are looking to buy one, get the pads to be 100% satisfied. I have all of them now and have used the Yellow and White on recent details and the difference between them and the Lake Country and other pads is night and day. They did do a great job pairing the two.

I am now at the point since I've used the Mille on my last two jobs that it's going to be my go-to polisher vs my Flex units. I love my 3401's and ergonomically they are better, but the Mille is noticeably quieter and with the Rupes Pads, it is noticeably smoother too. Just feels way more precise if that makes sense. The Flex is definitely a "beast" but the Mille is one also. I'm a gun guy so it's like firing a nice pistol with a suppressor and a red dot vs no suppressor and some good old fashion fiber optics sights.

I will say however, the Rupes also feels like it corrects much faster. The rotational speed side by side is faster full-on with Speed 6. I even found myself dialing it back to speed 5 for even more control and yet still amazing correction speed. On the STi I corrected, it was me and friend using both units and while I was much more skilled in terms of using both and it was his first time using a Flex vs a traditional DA, I was 1 to 1.5 panels ahead after working on the sides together. I think Joe from NextLevel said it best that the Mille is a "swirl eraser" as I found that to be so true. It more precisely erasers swirls vs brutally removing them.

More thoughts to come but I did want to share my updates as I'm sure I'm not the only Flex User wondering if there indeed is something better out there. I have two 3401's that both get a lot of use, one more than the other, so now my only long long term thoughts will be on durability down the road. I hope the Rupes lasts as long and does as well durability wise as my Flex units have. Time will tell.

Thanks for reading!
    Is this with non-rupes polishes?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Rupes Mille will be moving into my first-place spot

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Is this with non-rupes polishes?
    No. I've used CarPro Essence, Gyeon Primer, Meg's Ultimate Polish so far. I've yet to really "use" the Rupes Polishes. I do plan to. I'm going to use their UltraFine Polish on their white pads for my car prior to re-coating it. I'm also planning on the UHS System for two upcoming details that are what I would define as Medium Swirls. To much for a polish but not so bad I need to compound and two-step if I can avoid it. One is on a hard GM Vette paint, the other on a Tesla S.

I did do a test spot of their ultrafine vs essence and it did appear to have a bit more clarity. One other finding is that with Essence on their yellow pads the work time was much better than the flex with a white pad. I think it's a combination of the pad and less heat.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast