autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Hybrid Force Pads on Rupes Mille ?

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I'll post my thoughts this weekend as mine should be here Friday.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience. I love using my Flex 3401 and Force pads, but the 5mm orbit of the Rupes tool has me thinking.

2. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by osiapstndp View Post
    I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience. I love using my Flex 3401 and Force pads, but the 5mm orbit of the Rupes tool has me thinking.
    are you finding the 8mm throw on the Flex is what is causing it to walk or control you a bit more?

to me I don't find the flex bothersome at all. I love the smoothness of a the Rupes long throws and they have power but I won't buy a non forced unit any longer and don't mind the 8mm pull that it seems to have.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Please let me know how you like the Mille on Friday. I'm in the same boat as you where I have the Hybrid Force pads and I'd rather not replace the entire setup if I can use it with the Mille.

5. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

are you finding the 8mm throw on the Flex is what is causing it to walk or control you a bit more?

to me I don't find the flex bothersome at all. I love the smoothness of a the Rupes long throws and they have power but I won't buy a non forced unit any longer and don't mind the 8mm pull that it seems to have.
    Sometimes it feels like the 8mm throw is too much. On roofs, for example, it pulls and pushes on its own when I can't put enough weight on the head of the machine. The roof is where I find the Flex is most uncomfortable, but on long hoods it's sometimes not a fun experience either. It seems like the 8mm throw is a culprit.

It isn't *that* bad though and I've never completed a car and thought I felt "beat up" by the machine, but then again I've never used free spinning tools from start to completion because I always go back to the 3401 or to a Flex rotary for cutting. Even when I try to only use my Griot's G15 on flat panels I end up ditching it. On a lot of the factory clear I've worked on the 3401 has finished down beautifully with M205 and a white or black Hybrid or Force pad. Even on super soft aftermarket clear I've been able to finish it with the 3401 and some finesse.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i currently have 95% lake country pads, gg6 and aios. meg stuff for paint correction and this exact thread pushed me to preorder the mille instead of order the 3401. I decided to preorder the mille standard kit because i will be using this tool for extended periods of time not only on cars, but boats. I'm all for a work out but i also want to adapt the rupes system eventually after my pads and product deplete. My 1988 23' sea ray sorrento will be the first Vitim with the rupes which is heavily oxidized.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddersdetailing View Post
    i currently have 95% lake country pads, gg6 and aios. meg stuff for paint correction and this exact thread pushed me to preorder the mille instead of order the 3401. I decided to preorder the mille standard kit because i will be using this tool for extended periods of time not only on cars, but boats. I'm all for a work out but i also want to adapt the rupes system eventually after my pads and product deplete. My 1988 23' sea ray sorrento will be the first Vitim with the rupes which is heavily oxidized.
    right on! I'm excited to get mine tomorrow. My first detail is an easier new car prep and coating though but it will still serve as a good test vehicle. Looking forward to seeing the follow up posts from others here.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

right on! I'm excited to get mine tomorrow. My first detail is an easier new car prep and coating though but it will still serve as a good test vehicle. Looking forward to seeing the follow up posts from others here.
    I see you pulled the trigger. I'm interested in seeing how to see how those pads work on it. I do like thicker pads on some vehicles. I've gone to 90% Boss pads for regular compounding and polishing. I do have yellow Rupes pads. That's one of my favorite pads.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I can’t seem to quite understand is why the Mille pads are so thin. I bought Mille pads to use on my Duetto and love em.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    One thing I can’t seem to quite understand is why the Mille pads are so thin. I bought Mille pads to use on my Duetto and love em.
    based on my experience with the Mille Pads which are really thin compared to say my Hybrid Force Pads on the Flex is that they designed the foam so that they can transfer maximum torque from the machines to the paint more effectively. I found initially I didn't like the Mille and IMO it was due to the thicker LC Hybrid Force pads being 1. a different material and 2. being designed differently overall. I think the "grabby" feeling I got from them on the mille was due to the torque twisting and loading up in the pad then the jumping when it was released as I worked it over the surface. Sort of like the twisting of a dragsters huge rear tires upon launch. Make sense?

In short, I think Rupes did a great job designing their pad system to match the unit.

12. Thanks DetailTrail thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12