autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

may as well be the one to bring it up....mille pads on non-mille polisher?

I figure this question would be asked eventually with the recent release of the Mille, but nobody pulled the trigger yet. Guess I'll be that guy.

Personally, my only Rupes tool so far is an LHR75e, but I am starting to really like the pads and system overall even when using them on my Boss G15.

The trend with other polishers has been that you can sometimes get more cut by using a thinner pad (thinpros, B&S Low-Pros) and that's seemed to have gained popularity. The thinner pads also seem to help 'augment' less powerful polishers' capabilities, an example being the MT300 I bought first using a 1" CCS pad vs a LC Thinpro.

With that being said, it seems that the Mille pads use similar or the same foam composition but are significantly thinner. Would it stand to reason that these Mille pads might have the same effect when used with the free-spinning models or is there some reason that they wouldn't be compatible?

I'm thinking that the Mille compounds, having been developed for the added action and heat generated by the Mille, may not work so well with a free spinner. But the pads may be a different story.

I see it as a really attractive potential option for those who like the rupes pads and even compounds but have already invested in a different brand of long-throw polisher.

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: may as well be the one to bring it up....mille pads on non-mille polisher?

I use Rupes 4" pads on my GG6 with a 3" backing plate. Need to be careful with the blue pad as it cuts like crazy. It removes scratches quickly but seems like it could think your clear or cut through it quickly.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I use Rupes 4" pads on my GG6 with a 3" backing plate. Need to be careful with the blue pad as it cuts like crazy. It removes scratches quickly but seems like it could think your clear or cut through it quickly.
    that's cool, and I'm sure it would work but really doesn't have anything to do with this topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Got it. You're asking about Rupes thin pads on other long throws.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Got it. You're asking about Rupes thin pads on other long throws.
    Or even rupes thin pads on rupes long throws.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    I figure this question would be asked eventually with the recent release of the Mille, but nobody pulled the trigger yet. Guess I'll be that guy.

Personally, my only Rupes tool so far is an LHR75e, but I am starting to really like the pads and system overall even when using them on my Boss G15.

The trend with other polishers has been that you can sometimes get more cut by using a thinner pad (thinpros, B&S Low-Pros) and that's seemed to have gained popularity. The thinner pads also seem to help 'augment' less powerful polishers' capabilities, an example being the MT300 I bought first using a 1" CCS pad vs a LC Thinpro.

With that being said, it seems that the Mille pads use similar or the same foam composition but are significantly thinner. Would it stand to reason that these Mille pads might have the same effect when used with the free-spinning models or is there some reason that they wouldn't be compatible?

I'm thinking that the Mille compounds, having been developed for the added action and heat generated by the Mille, may not work so well with a free spinner. But the pads may be a different story.

I see it as a really attractive potential option for those who like the rupes pads and even compounds but have already invested in a different brand of long-throw polisher.
    When RUPES designed the BigFoot Random Orbital Pads we did so with specific foam formulas that transfer a lot of movement of the polisher to the paint inherently. This allowed us to use taller pads for comfortable handling necessitate by the large diameter of the orbit.

However, in the theory, a shorter pad will transfer more movement than a taller pad. So in theory the Mille pads will deliver more action to the paint. However, the difference will likely not be as much as it would with other manufacturer's foam formulas, since our foam is very efficient.

The downside of switching to a shorter foam will be that you increase vibration because the shorter pad weighs less than what the counter balance is designed for. We don't recommend it for this reason.

The Mille compounds (and shorter foams) are our third generation compound and designed completely in house with our own world class chemist, product designers like Jason Rose, our USA team which includes Dylan von Kleist (formerly Adams) and me (former product developer for BLACKFIRE), as well as our engineering masters and product developers from Italy and the sales team around the world. These third generation compounds are fine tuned for the movement of a gear-driven polisher, and as such, that is our official recommendation.

However, I enjoy their performance on a number of different movement styles, maybe... wink wink.

8. Thanks manichol thanked for this post
    Likes Ronin47, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

The Mille pads and compounds work well on the other Rupes, the pads especially, however find Zephir and Keramik to have more cut even on the Mille.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the yellow foam on the 21/15 pads the same as the yellow foam on the mille pads?