autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: i am disappointed from my 21 MK2

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post
    Great response Todd! Without turning this into a debate, once you get used to using your MK2 I can almost be certain you will never turn back to a forced rotation. My 21 and 3in 12mm throw machines pretty much tackle everything along with my Ibrid. My 3401 sits in the bag. The smoothness and correction ability of a long throw is undeniable.
    You just saved me from typing all this, I echo your sentiments exactly.

The only thing I would like to add is the 21 MKII, Mille and LH75E Mini are the tools I now use 99% of the time, no stall on my 21 MKII on any contours.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow here comes alot of technique tips that I will test when polishing next.

A question on primeing the rupes pad their is a way to do with the first contact to the paint. You are recommended to build up some heat to the pad with it standing on the same spot for about 30 seconds I believe it was. This is to save the pads longevity and performance. Can someone write it thrue how correctly do this? It's something that I don't hear much about. But saw on rag companys Youtube chanel with a guest from rupes. And that is a very different way to prime the pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Wow here comes alot of technique tips that I will test when polishing next.

A question on primeing the rupes pad their is a way to do with the first contact to the paint. You are recommended to build up some heat to the pad with it standing on the same spot for about 30 seconds I believe it was. This is to save the pads longevity and performance. Can someone write it thrue how correctly do this? It's something that I don't hear much about. But saw on rag companys Youtube chanel with a guest from rupes. And that is a very different way to prime the pads.
    For the Random Orbital Polishers Foam Pads: Place pea-sized drops of product about 2/3's the way out around the pad. I prefer 6 drops on the 180mm and 150 mm pads, about 3 drops on the 100 mm pads, and a drop on the nano's pads. Run for about 30 seconds using firm pressure for over a smaller than normal polishing section. The idea is bring the face of the foam up to operating temperature (necessary for blue, gray, and green foams) and to spread a thin amount of compound of the foam's face.

For the Random Orbital Polishers Microfiber Pads: Butter the entire face of the pad with compound.

4. Thanks SWETM, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    For the Random Orbital Polishers Foam Pads: Place pea-sized drops of product about 2/3's the way out around the pad. I prefer 6 drops on the 180mm and 150 mm pads, about 3 drops on the 100 mm pads, and a drop on the nano's pads. Run for about 30 seconds using firm pressure for over a smaller than normal polishing section. The idea is bring the face of the foam up to operating temperature (necessary for blue, gray, and green foams) and to spread a thin amount of compound of the foam's face.

For the Random Orbital Polishers Microfiber Pads: Butter the entire face of the pad with compound.
    Thank you Todd for the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post
    Great response Todd! Without turning this into a debate, once you get used to using your MK2 I can almost be certain you will never turn back to a forced rotation. My 21 and 3in 12mm throw machines pretty much tackle everything along with my Ibrid. My 3401 sits in the bag. The smoothness and correction ability of a long throw is undeniable.
    It is incorrect to say "...The smoothness and correction ability of a long throw is undeniable.....", because there are other long throw polisher that will not be as smooth as the Rupes polishers. There are plenty of cheap Chinese long throw polishers that won't be anything near as smooth as a Rupes, even though they may have the same throw. What I am saying is it isn't the throw length that makes a Rupes smooth, it is the engineering and development by Rupes that makes their long throws smooth, something which is not necessarily true of all long throw polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    It is incorrect to say "...The smoothness and correction ability of a long throw is undeniable.....", because there are other long throw polisher that will not be as smooth as the Rupes polishers. There are plenty of cheap Chinese long throw polishers that won't be anything near as smooth as a Rupes, even though they may have the same throw. What I am saying is it isn't the throw length that makes a Rupes smooth, it is the engineering and development by Rupes that makes their long throws smooth, something which is not necessarily true of all long throw polishers.
    Seemed like independent thoughts to me. The smoothness of the Rupes is undeniable, and the correction ability of a long throw is undeniable as well.

Dunno why you felt compelled to comment on that part of his sentence, but I guess I felt equally compelled to point out that you may not need to be so quick to point out someone being incorrect when you might have just read it incorrectly yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

So what I am reading (And agree with) is...

3401 - No learning curve as long as your muscles are more developed than a 14yo female
    Long Throw - Whole new technique to learn to get it to not stall as much as any old other plain jane DA polisher does.

Sorry, I had to be a smart ass cause Im a 3401 fan all the way. Long throw doesnt really impress me that much, IF I was doing alot of panel vans I may just consider it but every single car on the road today has sick body lines and I cant imagine using something with a 21mm throw and a THIN 7" pad. Yeesh
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I felt compelled to comment because the original statement would have lead some people reading the post that all long throw polishers were equally smooth. That is not the case; in the case of long throw polishers, it is the engineering/development/refinement of the Rupes that makes it as smooth as it is. That smoothness is NOT caused by a polisher having a long throw, it is because of who manufactured the polisher.

I didn't say anything regarding the correction ability. And to be honest, even that will vary between long throw polishers, even with the same throw, based on things like motor power, gear reduction ratio, etc. Do you think that a 21mm long throw polisher, made by some unknown Chinese cut every corner possible factory, with a 100W motor will have great correcting ability? I don't. Great tools, like the Rupes and other recognized brands, have earned their reputations by designing/engineering/refining and manufacturing good tools. This is over and above the throw length, or even type (free rotation vs. forced rotation) of system.

As for the rest, it is pedantic and unnecessary. You are correcting me on something I never even wrote about.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post

3401 - No learning curve as long as your muscles are more developed than a 14yo female
    Long Throw - Whole new technique to learn to get it to not stall as much as any old other plain jane DA polisher does.

Sorry, I had to be a smart ass cause Im a 3401 fan all the way. Long throw doesnt really impress me that much, IF I was doing alot of panel vans I may just consider it but every single car on the road today has sick body lines and I cant imagine using something with a 21mm throw and a THIN 7" pad. Yeesh
    We were fans of black and white tv’s and fax machines too.

11. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post

If I may...

First. My (now) 16-year old neighbor is the Florida State Champ for her weight division (105 lbs or similar) in Olympic Lighting, and even at 14, she was moving serious weight... just sayin'.

Second. It is my opinion that gear-driven polishers are less technique dependent than random orbital polishers (which become slightly more technique specific as the orbital length increases). The trade-off with gear-driven polishers is you pay for this with a rougher rider and more fatigue. RUPES, with the Mille, has made a serious effort to create a gear-driven polisher that ramps up user comfort to levels unthought of before while offering class-leading performance.

Third. Too much attention is paid to pad stall. If we freeze the rotational movement, large-diameter random orbital polishers like the 21 will still produce more movement across the entire diameter of the pad than most gear-driven polishers do at full RPM. It is a matter of utilizing that power with proper technique and pad formulas that makes the difference.

I am a firm believer that off the polishing movements currently available : orbital, random orbital, gear-driven, and rotary - random orbital still offers the best average of attributes.

13. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes Ronin47, dlc95 liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast