autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best polisher for a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Both the 15 Mk II and the Mille are excellent machines.

I have the Mk II and love it. But it does stall and there were times I wished the 15 Mk II was a forced rotation.

Tom
    Have you tried the washer mod on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Have you tried the washer mod on it?
    No. Was my understanding it's best not to.

I kind of think it has to do more with me trying to understand how to get it to work properly. I have noticed that sometimes, I need to turn up the speed just a tad more to power through.
    Other times, this surprised me, is arm speed and movement. If I move polisher just a little quicker---it rotates happy!

So, just need to put more "miles" under my belt before passing judgement. I AM producing flawless work. Just wish it be faster...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of think it has to do more with me trying to understand how to get it to work properly. I have noticed that sometimes, I need to turn up the speed just a tad more to power through.
    Other times, this surprised me, is arm speed and movement. If I move polisher just a little quicker---it rotates happy!

So, just need to put more "miles" under my belt before passing judgement. I AM producing flawless work. Just wish it be faster...

Tom
    Give it a shot and see if you like it. It is ok to use it with the machine.

4. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Likes Ronin47, TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom
    You might need to re-lubricate the plate.

A smidge of dielectric grease, and you"'ll be back in business.

If It's seen a lot of use, you might want to clean off the abrasive dust from the plate, and the shroud before you perform the maintenance. Otherwise, you'll be compounding the rubber shroud with the excess abrasives as the mix with the grease - essentially becoming a compound.

6. Likes Todd@RUPES liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking ill go ahead and pull the trigger on the LHR15 Mark2. Just have to wait for the next no exceptions sale (hopefully before spring). Plan is to correct my entire 2017 silverado when i pull it out of storage. Should be pretty easy. It only has minimal defects from drying. Then go ahead and make my first attempt at a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tfrost92 View Post
    Thinking ill go ahead and pull the trigger on the LHR15 Mark2. Just have to wait for the next no exceptions sale (hopefully before spring). Plan is to correct my entire 2017 silverado when i pull it out of storage. Should be pretty easy. It only has minimal defects from drying. Then go ahead and make my first attempt at a coating.
    As long as a been on here I never seen a rupes for sale. Best bet is to buy gift certificate's on sale then use them...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tfrost92 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I definitely planned on following through with the rupes system before messing with any other pads or products. I was hoping it was easy enough to teach myself, since I know no other people that are into paint correction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It's not actually that difficult, just a bit different from using Something Like the Torx, or any standard orbit polisher.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you made a good choice with the 15 II. That is one I don't have. I am using a 21 II, 75E Mini (love, love), and ibrid Nano. I also have a Flex 3401 which I may sell after I use the Mille (on preorder), To me the Flex is a bucket of bolts compared to the Rupes'. Yes, the forced rotation has its advantages, but the greater vibration and walking was a downer. I am very curious to see how the Mille compares.

The question of best beginner's machine has been asked, like maybe every other thread. Here is my take. If budget and level of interest are modest, meaning are you only doing a couple of cars a year or are not into detailing in a big way, the Griots is the best choice. The next step up is the perennial Rupes vs. Flex endless debate. Before I pulled the trigger on the Rupes I scoured the Internet reading forum treads until I was dizzy. There was ONE post that hit a chord with me. He said he favored the Rupes because he could do the roof with one hand on the machine. That did it. He was correct, not that I do roofs with one hand, but you can!

One more point. Having a large (21 II) and small (75E) buffer, to me, is almost a necessity. I am constantly switching back and forth, many times on the same panel. Even if your budget will not allow two Rupes (or even one), I would still have two buffers set up, one for 3" pads and the other for 5" or 6" pads. It is hugely inefficient to have to switch backing plates (assuming the machine allow it). A number of guys use a PC with a 3" plate as a lower cost remedy for that need (essential IMHO!).

Post Thanks / Like

The Duetto doesn’t get a lot of love. But it’s a awesome little tool. It’s built for a beginner or a pro. It would be a good starter plus you will have a ton of room to grow with it as you go. The X-Cut system is a added bonus that they offer with it too.
    I know you have your heart set on the 15. But if you talk to any Duetto users on here it may change your mind. Either one you pick you won’t be disappointed. All are quality tools. Each one has its own place. I just feel the Duetto is best all around choice.
    Either way good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish Auto View Post
    The Duetto doesn’t get a lot of love. But it’s a awesome little tool. It’s built for a beginner or a pro. It would be a good starter plus you will have a ton of room to grow with it as you go. The X-Cut system is a added bonus that they offer with it too.
    I know you have your heart set on the 15. But if you talk to any Duetto users on here it may change your mind. Either one you pick you won’t be disappointed. All are quality tools. Each one has its own place. I just feel the Duetto is best all around choice.
    Either way good luck to you.
    Duetto is my #1.

Biggest reason is the overall size, shape, and design. It's very easy to maneuver, and operate.

It's easily forgotten that the RPM range is:
    Duetto 4000 - 5500,

Where as the 21 mk2 is 2500 - 4700, and the 15 mk2 is 2500 - 5300.

To quote Mike's book on pg12:
    "The lowest RPM setting is higher than that of the BigFoot 15 and 21 to compensate for the shorter orbit stroke length and this ensures proper pad performance at lower speed settings."

We live in a world of perception before application. It's natural that the "bigger, better, faster, more" wins...

I don't see how the Mini can be such a monster, and the Duetto be such a dud.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast