autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best polisher for a beginner

I appreciate all the insight but not sure if everyone read my original post.
    Looking at purchasing a rupes machine as my current torq x, just isnt doing it for me anymore. Figured I would throw a 3 inch backing plate on it and use it for small stuff/tight areas. Im having a hard time choosing between the mark ii 15, or 21 with a 5 inch b.p. (dont think ill like 7 inch pads). Now I see the mille is coming out as well but I know nothing about gear driven polishers or how they operate/differ from da polishers. The goal is to have a good machine for all around use that I can expand my skills with. Hopefully somebody can provide some insight

Post Thanks / Like

The Rupes 15 is hugely popular, and was designed with the detailer in mind. It's also the most recommended starting point for someone entering the Rupes system, by some of the associated at Rupes.

If you go that route, consider starting with the proprietary Rupes pads and compounds. Blue and yellow is a good starting point for that. I'd also recommend NOT modding it with a washer to get the full benefit of the tool.

I personally prefer the 12mm Duetto. It works a lot faster than any of the other 8mm tools I've used it against. I also dislike the body style of any tool that resembles the 15 and 21, but that is more of a personal preference thing.

I do have a 21 as well, but only have that for huge surfaces.

3. Thanks tfrost92, Todd@RUPES thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    The Rupes 15 is hugely popular, and was designed with the detailer in mind. It's also the most recommended starting point for someone entering the Rupes system, by some of the associated at Rupes.

If you go that route, consider starting with the proprietary Rupes pads and compounds. Blue and yellow is a good starting point for that. I'd also recommend NOT modding it with a washer to get the full benefit of the tool.

I personally prefer the 12mm Duetto. It works a lot faster than any of the other 8mm tools I've used it against. I also dislike the body style of any tool that resembles the 15 and 21, but that is more of a personal preference thing.

I do have a 21 as well, but only have that for huge surfaces.
    Thanks for the response. I definitely planned on following through with the rupes system before messing with any other pads or products. I was hoping it was easy enough to teach myself, since I know no other people that are into paint correction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post

Definitely the GG6. Is actually effective at speeds 1-4 where the PC 7424xp is only effective at 4-5.

If I'm not mistaken I think even mike phillips uses speed 4.5 on the PC just to spread wax.
    That's correct. You must put the PC on speed 4.5 MINIMUM to maintain pad rotation even with thin pads.

Tidbit of technique info

When machine applying a non-cleaning wax or sealant, it's not that pad rotation is important because you're NOT trying to remove paint i.e. remove defects. BUT - having the pad rotate a "little" helps YOU to move the pad and polisher over the paint. If the pad is not rotating it feels like the pad is dragging over the paint and this makes it harder for you to quickly cover the car with wax or sealant.

This is actually something Mike Pennington pointed out to me probably 12 to 15 years ago. I always give due credit where credit is due.

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post

Only thing I can confidently say is the 7424xp much more durable in the long run.
    The PC is built like a tank. Too bad whichever company is making it now days doesn't read car detailing discussion forums.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tfrost92 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I definitely planned on following through with the rupes system before messing with any other pads or products. I was hoping it was easy enough to teach myself, since I know no other people that are into paint correction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If you get Mike's book on using the system, you'll be way ahead of the curve. It changed a lot for me.

When I got my first Duetto I was using it like a lot of others - washer modded, and my normal PC/3401 pads.... While it worked very well, it didn't compare to the results I got with the system.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I put a 5" backing plate on my Griot's 3" machine? Does it have enough power to polish with a bigger plate and pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Can I put a 5" backing plate on my Griot's 3" machine? Does it have enough power to polish with a bigger plate and pads?
    No and No.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Both the 15 Mk II and the Mille are excellent machines.

I have the Mk II and love it. But it does stall and there were times I wished the 15 Mk II was a forced rotation.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    stick with the stock 3" plate that it comes with and also the newly released 2" backing plate and pads...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tfrost92 View Post
    I appreciate all the insight but not sure if everyone read my original post.
    Looking at purchasing a rupes machine as my current torq x, just isnt doing it for me anymore. Figured I would throw a 3 inch backing plate on it and use it for small stuff/tight areas. Im having a hard time choosing between the mark ii 15, or 21 with a 5 inch b.p. (dont think ill like 7 inch pads). Now I see the mille is coming out as well but I know nothing about gear driven polishers or how they operate/differ from da polishers. The goal is to have a good machine for all around use that I can expand my skills with. Hopefully somebody can provide some insight
    I did read your original post but thought you might like to hear others opinion's.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast