autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Duetto SCREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    On the opposite end of the spectrum, I’ve got 7 Rupes tools and never had a problem. I did have problems with some green pads, but after contacting Rupes they sent me new ones right away. I love their customer service. Forums are not the best place to try to contact any manufacturer, it’s easier to contact the companies service department, imho.
    My machines are 100% tip top.

A slight issue with a consumable product was handled immediately by internal customer service.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about these tool woes Dave. Tough to say without further inspection what the cause could be?

I'd assume Rupes uses bearings versus bushings in critical areas, but not sure. Electrical issues, armature, brushes might also be a culprit.

In any case if one could discover what the problem was, can an end user then acquire the needed parts to fix?

As others have touched on, if the machine is still under warrantee, or if Rupes is willing to handle this without any incurrence of cost to you other than shipping costs, the solution seems clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coolcobramatt View Post
    Glad you got resolution, all I got was silence from Todd, even after writing to Mike Phillips asking him to help. My Duetto got extremely loud then began overheating to the point you couldn't hold it. My 15le Mark II melted pads to the backing plate after doing a few small sections. The Duetto finally just died, it lasted 6 cars in total.

I'll never recommend another Rupes product again.
    To play devils advocate - I do not believe Todd or Mike’s job is to handle warranty repairs for Rupes. I’m sure they are busy with their actual jobs. As suggested above - maybe CALL Rupes at the number listed above or on their website. I’m sure there is a blurb on their website regarding warranty issues and it doesn’t include contacting Todd or Mike.

And, I dunno - something is not right here. You bought a Duetto that got so hot you couldn’t hold it & it died after 6 cars AND a 15 MkII that melts pads.

The common denominator here seems to be heat. It seems you are claiming either:

A. You received 2 defective machines.

-or-

B. Rupes tools overheat and are poorly manufactured or engineered.

I suppose A. is possible - although VERY unlikely in modern manufacturing. I’m sure defective products ship out - but the chances of getting 2 in a row are quite slim to impossible.

As for B. numerous pros are using Rupes machines with great success. So either there is an Illuminati type conspiracy to take our money for machines that are garbage, or something else is going on here.

4. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    To play devils advocate - I do not believe Todd or Mike’s job is to handle warranty repairs for Rupes. I’m sure they are busy with their actual jobs. As suggested above - maybe CALL Rupes at the number listed above or on their website. I’m sure there is a blurb on their website regarding warranty issues and it doesn’t include contacting Todd or Mike.

And, I dunno - something is not right here. You bought a Duetto that got so hot you couldn’t hold it & it died after 6 cars AND a 15 MkII that melts pads.

-or-

I suppose A. is possible - although VERY unlikely in modern manufacturing. I’m sure defective products ship out - but the chances of getting 2 in a row are quite slim to impossible.

As for B. numerous pros are using Rupes machines with great success. So either there is an Illuminati type conspiracy to take our money for machines that are garbage, or something else is going on here.
    C. There may be an issue with the power supply.

I agree with the idea that Rupes staff doesn't regularly browse the forums.

If I'm not mistaken, Todd does a lot of training, and Dylan a lot of the marketing..(?)

When they say to call the facility, That's probably the best course of action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I'm about done too. I just bought a 21 Mark II. Used it for the first time today. Worked great for about 30 minutes. Put it down while I used my Flex mini, picked it back up and pulled the trigger and it just hums. Let it sit for another hour. Picked it up pulled the trigger and it ran. Set it down for a second, got a pad for it and got it ready to go. Pull the trigger and just a hum. If I sent this thing in and there is something wrong with it and they tell me they are going to fix it I' going to snap. lol

oh...there is another post on the duetto. Ran it for about 15 minutes and it was right back at it. Had to send it in again. I figured sure they would just replace it at this point. Nope...another repair job. I got it back, made sure it ran right, put it on eBay. The two repair tickets ended up totaling 300.00.
    Wow... that is some serious bad luck!

Post Thanks / Like

-or-

Rupes machines are supposed to be used with little pressure. If you put 15 pounds of pressure on the pad like for a regular DA, they will heat the pad, interface and motor a lot. Maybe that is the issue here. But even so, the machine should not be failling after just a few hours of work.

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

-or-

I called Rupes several times, always got forwarded to someone else’s voice mail “who could help” and then no further communication. I emailed customer service from their website, no reply. Believe it when I say I exhausted my options. I even messaged Mike Phillips and he forwarded my contact info (and long email) to this Todd guy. Todd immediately went on my complaint post and defended Rupes but did he get in touch with me as a long time, multi purchase customer? Not a peep.

That tells me their job is to publicly be the face of rupes for the US market and cover up/dismiss serious complaints. Whether or not it’s their job, it’s just good customer service especially when you know your company is dropping the ball. Maybe it’s me but I didn’t think that was alot to ask.

10. Likes dlc95, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coolcobramatt View Post
    I called Rupes several times, always got forwarded to someone else’s voice mail “who could help” and then no further communication. I emailed customer service from their website, no reply. Believe it when I say I exhausted my options. I even messaged Mike Phillips and he forwarded my contact info (and long email) to this Todd guy. Todd immediately went on my complaint post and defensed Rupes but did he get in touch with me as a long time, multi purchase customer? Not a peep.

That tells me their job is to publicly be the face of rupes for the US market and cover up/dismiss serious complaints. Whether or not it’s their job, it’s just good customer service especially when you know your company is dropping the ball. Maybe it’s me but I didn’t think that was alot to ask.
    I'd be pretty frustrated for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I'd be pretty frustrated for sure.
    After two years I am over the frustration but I will always post up my thoughts when I see something new (or that I missed) on their non-existant customer service. I sold my mkII for a loss and threw the Duetto a few times to vent that frustration. It’s still on my workbench in case of flareups lol.

I quit trying after getting attacked by Rupes fan bois, who couldn’t fathom the thought that someone may just have a different opinion. Funny thing is I have gotten several pms from others who have the same complaints and got assaulted on the forum as well.

Rupes, you guys really suck for putting more than a few customers through this.

13. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    C. There may be an issue with the power supply.

I agree with the idea that Rupes staff doesn't regularly browse the forums.

If I'm not mistaken, Todd does a lot of training, and Dylan a lot of the marketing..(?)

When they say to call the facility, That's probably the best course of action.
    Dan, before I even got to this reply from you, I was thinking...................cheapo extension cord!!!

15. Likes dlc95 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast