autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need your advice to help me decide which product I should buy

Up here in Canada, the Rupes Mark II polishers both cost more than the XC3401, as does the Mark I 21mm. As do the Flex XFE7-15 150 and the PE14-2. This is for the polishers themselves, not wtih kits.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    Up here in Canada, the Rupes Mark II polishers both cost more than the XC3401, as does the Mark I 21mm. As do the Flex XFE7-159 and the PE14-2. This is for the polishers themselves, not wtih kits.
    Yeah normally in my country, things are much more expensive if compared to US (some Meguiar's & CG products will cost x3).
    After my yesterday visit I've also found out that they have some very good price products as well:
    - 3M
    - Scangrip system.

P/s: they are authorized distributor of Rupes since that company is listed on Rupes main website (http://distributori.bigfootrupes.it)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flame113 View Post
    I visited a local distributor today and a
    rep also suggested me to use Duetto as
    my first polisher due to following reasons:
    -The kit is cheaper than LHR15II so I can
    spend money on pads & a Rupes Penlight.
    -Same backing plate with LHR 15 but smaller
    throw --> easier for a newbie like me.
    -It is also a wet sander while LHR 15 isn't.

Any thought?
    •I’m thinking that:
    -If you go with the Duetto, et al,
    they ought to throw in the Rupes
    Swirl Finder Pen Light as a welcome
    to the “World of RUPES” gift.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

4. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you had to pick just one to go with, the duetto would be a great choice. 12mm orbit, 5" backing plate, would probably get you most of the way to where you need to be on just about any paint surface, minus the REALLY small stuff.

Shame they don't make a conversion kit for the duetto to go down to the 3" plate of the Mini.

6. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Well, that's just completely false...
    I disagree and I say your opinion that it's "just completely false" is absolutely false...

It depends on the person, but a large-diameter random orbital is going to have an advantage on most gear-driven polishers when it comes to pad speed. Generally, guys who find that they have better correction with gear-driven polishers tend to use heavy pressure and tend to polish at an angle (many of them think they are flat). Guys who hold polishers truly flat and have really good technique with large-diameter random orbitals will find that they will get more correction with those style machines.

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    I disagree and I say your opinion that it's "just completely false" is absolutely false...

It depends on the person, but a large-diameter random orbital is going to have an advantage on most gear-driven polishers when it comes to pad speed. Generally, guys who find that they have better correction with gear-driven polishers tend to use heavy pressure and tend to polish at an angle (many of them think they are flat). Guys who hold polishers truly flat and have really good technique with large-diameter random orbitals will find that they will get more correction with those style machines.
    The OP is declaring "Also 3401 have much less correction ability unless you put quite a pressure on them" with absolute 100% certainty; that is just not always 100% true, as indicated by your very own choice of words "It depends on the person".

All I'm refuting is the inability to optimize correction without using excessive pressure on a gear driven machine.

Heck, I use a Flex 3401 and a Rupes 15 Mk2 and actually prefer the Rupes in the majority of situations but to imply that a gear driven polisher has disadvantage in correction ability unless significant pressure is applied is, in my mind, not 100% accurate, especially in lighter duty work.

Throw in pad size, abrasive technology of products used and we move even farther away speaking in absolutes.

I guess more to the point, my initial objection was to a claim that speaks in what can easily be construed as an 'absolute and universal truth' which we all can agree is rarely the case...in regards to anything.

I can take my Flex with something like Scholl S20 Black on a honey spider pad and produce an LSP ready finish using very little pressure, especially on soft or sticky paint. As I can with my Rupes.

To imply that the only way to maximize equal correction with a gear driven machine is through the use of significant pressure just seems misleading to me as stated.

Toss in the fact that my abilities with the Rupes are still far below even what could be considered 'moderately functional' and the gap widens.

Perhaps the statement of the post in question would have been better if prefaced with "All other factors being equal.." but as written, leaves too much room for question when presented as a universal truth, especially give the lack of clarification/substantiation. I have just found that limiting phrases that imply universal declarations are misleading. Kinda like "What's the best XXX"; there simply is no BEST for every and all curcumstances.

It's all good...and will get better, quicker and less taxing as I (hopefully) improve my abilities with a long throw. As a hobbyist it's as much about the process as the results for me and I view the Rupes as the pinnacle of an artist's brush/palette with respect to correction. Unfortunately I'm still finger-painting here.

Edit: Also eyeing a Duetto this holiday season...just because it seems so versatile.

10. Thanks lane5515 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flame113 View Post
    I visited a local distributor today and a rep also suggested me to use Duetto as my first polisher due to following reasons:
    - The kit is cheaper than LHR15II so I can spend money on pads & a Rupes Penlight.
    - Same backing plate with LHR 15 but smaller throw --> easier for a newbie like me.
    - It is also a wet sander while LHR 15 isn't.

Any thought?
    The Duetto is my preferred tool over any of the 15, and 21mm tools. Not that the 15 and 21 aren't awesome though.

For me, It's a more comfortable tool to use because of It's size and shape, and it actually has higher OPM, which sort of makes up for the reduced orbit.

I haven't sanded with them yet, so I can't comment to that point.

Whatever Rupes tool you go with, at least consider trying their proprietary polishes and pads.

I like the Coarse Cut Zephir Gloss / Blue microfiber or foam pads for defect removal, and Fine Cut Keramik Gloss / Yellow foam pads for excellent gloss/finishing. Rupes 808 sealant is easy to use, saves time, is durable, and imparts a beautiful boosted gloss to the paint.

12. Likes Flame113 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your advice.

I went ahead and buy a Rupes 15 MK II DLX + iBrid Nano short neck kit today
    I will try them all to see if I need a Mini in the future.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Well, that's just completely false...
    The 15 ES and the 3401 were similar in correction, Valky’s statement is 100% correct. I find it is only members of AutoGeek that still feel a 3401 is a beast or a powerful correcting tool where the rest of the world has progressed(I own two 3401’s with all bp options).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    The 15 ES and the 3401 were similar in correction, Valky’s statement is 100% correct. I find it is only members of AutoGeek that still feel a 3401 is a beast or a powerful correcting tool where the rest of the world has progressed(I own two 3401’s with all bp options).
    In my world, from hard Corvette paint to soft Subaru paint to busted up fleet vehicles, I've never really needed to stand on the 3401 to get fine results. Scholls S40 wirh their spider pads finishes out quite nicely on soft, black Honda paint with nothing but machine weight.

And the 3401 with M101 w either a LC Force gray pad or a Urofiber pad with do some heavy lifting in 4 passes with minimal pressure. Not 1 handed like a Rupes, but it's not like I gotta stand on the thing.

Guess everyone is different.

That said, I do prefer the Rupes for finishing in a general sense but when I got some serious compounding to do, the Flex is still a beast...a bit more taxing than the Rupes but just as effective.

16. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12