autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very Displeased with Ibrid

Mike, thanks for sharing! I hadn't read those two articles before today. How did you go about cutting those those 6" xtra-cut discs down to 2" disc? Scissors? Box cutter? I'm impressed, they came out pretty symmetrical.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you why AG doesn't carry a pistol grip 3" pneumatic sander/polisher specifically for headlight restoration? Even though meguiars discontinued their headlight restoration kit, I think you would agree that they are the best option for detailers working out of a shop with access to compressed air. The pistol grip allows you to keep the air hose further away from the the painted bumper allowing for easier access than the TA50 does. Other than Chicago Pneumatic, I know 3m all offers both pneumatic pistol grip tools as well (Rotary & DA). Thanks again for posting those articles!!

Post Thanks / Like

Justin I think you will love the PE8, wish I had seen you were buying one I would happly lent you mine to try. I did almost my whole bass boat with the PE8 and 3-4" pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Justin I think you will love the PE8, wish I had seen you were buying one I would happly lent you mine to try. I did almost my whole bass boat with the PE8 and 3-4" pads.
    Thanks bud. Have already owned one in the past. Great tool. Sold it off when I bought the ibrid. Stupid move but oh well. Now I will have both.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

I have the short neck and mine also does this cutting out

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gtr197f1 View Post
    I have the short neck and mine also does this cutting out

Thanks for chiming in. I would get it resolved under warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased my ibrid second hand Very Displeased with Ibrid glad I didn't pay the full rrp the machine is not all it is cracked up I still end up using the rotary and extension bar all the time

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post

Thanks mwoywod and Mike.

Your info is very helpful.
    Since small tool options were brought up, specifically the RUPES TA50 as well as other small tool options I shared the write-ups because they are now part of car detailing history.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post

Nice write up Mike! I remember the Shearwater article.
    My pleasure.

At the time, the RUPES TA50 was BRAND NEW to the U.S. market and it really came in handy for removing the oxidation around and inside the lettering on the gel-coat boat.

It would have been a shame to have fixed the entire hull but not around the lettering. And for those reading this into the future, the RUPES Nano iBrid was not invented back then...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post

Sending my Ibrid out tomorrow morning.
    I have 100% confidence RUPES will take care of you.

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post

Mike, thanks for sharing! I hadn't read those two articles before today.
    Sometimes I post,

"Half my forum work is simply remembering where stuff is"

Stuff being projects I've already documented with before, during and after pictures. Hate to harp on Facebook but just try to share a REAL article on Facebook and even better, try to find it after a few years... ain't going to happen...

How did you go about cutting those those 6" xtra-cut discs down to 2" disc? Scissors? Box cutter? I'm impressed, they came out pretty symmetrical.
    KISS - Keep it Simple Simon

I simply placed the RUPES TA50 Backing plate flat against the back of a microfiber cutting disc and then traced around it with an ink pen. Then used scissors to cut out the smaller discs.

And for those that will read this into the future, SMALL microfiber pads and even small foam pads didn't EXIST back when we did the extreme makeover to this boat.

From this extreme boat detail

How to wetsand, cut and buff a gel-coat boat

I've been buffing out cars all my life and I've been waiting for a mini tool like this for doing intricate work and after using one time to remove oxidation I LOVE this tool

This is a must have tool if you buff a lot of cars and have an air compressor... check it out...

First we took a 6" Meguiar's DMX6 DA Microfiber Xtra Cut Disc and cut 2" discs out of it.

The discs fit onto the velcro hook material on the Rupes 2" backing plate.

Then using Marine 31 Final Step Polish I removed the oxidation around the bottom of the lettering...

Next by tilting the tool and working on edge I could get inside all the small areas of oxidized gel-coat inside and around the letters.

In the shots above the tool is actually running at full speed or wide-open but it looks like the pad is not spinning due the camera settings and camera flash.

This tool never bogged down. It made quick work of doing some real painstaking polishing.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you why AG doesn't carry a pistol grip 3" pneumatic sander/polisher specifically for headlight restoration?

My guess is because they gather dust on the shelves... too easy for everyone to go to HF or A and get them...

Of course, HF and A don't have car detailing discussion forums to learn how to use stuff you buy from them....

Post Thanks / Like

No problem Mike. Like I said I definitely didn't want this to come off as a bash Rupes post. Just wanted to share some frustrating experiences with a tool. When my Ibrid is working I absolutely love it and have stated that over the past months. Thankfully a forum member JSFMX35 overnighted his so I can finish up some intricate polishing on a custom 1963 VW bug before getting it coated.
    Your post did not come across as "RUPES bashing" at all. You have EVERY RIGHT to be frustrated as you spent good money on tool, and you have realistic expectations of product durability. We will make this right. I truly am sorry to hear about your experience, as a customer who has been frustrated by similar circumstances (in a completely different industry).

9. Likes JHL88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    Your post did not come across as "RUPES bashing" at all. You have EVERY RIGHT to be frustrated as you spent good money on tool, and you have realistic expectations of product durability. We will make this right. I truly am sorry to hear about your experience, as a customer who has been frustrated by similar circumstances (in a completely different industry).
    Thanks Todd. Just now saw your reply. I have no doubt that it will be taken care of as Dylan, Jeremy and yourself have all stated that you guys will make it right. It was sent out to Colorado and just waiting to hear back on the resolution and or issue with it.

Post Thanks / Like

So I just got notification that a new unit was shipped out and will be here on Monday.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast