autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very Displeased with Ibrid

Quote Originally Posted by asap2stacks View Post
    Air compressed Nano tools won't fail
    Do you mind telling us what you have for a nano polisher and what your evaluation of it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll share. I work out of a shop so I use pneumatic tools when possible. I have 3 pneumatic air tools and I use all of them daily.

I have two pistol grip pneumatic polishers....

3" Chicago Pneumatic CP7201 Mini Rotary Polisher that I've had 4 years and it's really great, especially with foamed wool pads for polishing headlights, door jambs, wheels, tight spaces on classic cars where I need the precision of a rotary. A drop of air tool lubricant before use and it will last a lifetime.

The other pistol grip air tool the I use most often is the 3" Chicago Pneumatic CP7200 Mini Random Orbital Sander. I primarily use it with either 3" trizact or 3" mirka abralon discs for quickly sanding headlights. I also use it for wet-sanding orange peel on repaints as well. Unlike an electric DA, air pressure prevents the pad from bogging down when sanding.

The other pneumatic polisher I use is the Boss Pneumatic Micro Rotary Polisher. For applications where a longer neck tool is needed. It is really an exceptionally well made tool that has great weight and is unbelievably smooth and quite. I use it to polish painted dash boards in 57 chevys, side mirrors, grills, etc. It's so smooth and capable, I try to use it as much as I can!!

Post Thanks / Like

What about the Rupes T-50. Have you ever looked at or thought about it ? I know it was developed for sanding. But, AG pitches it as a polisher too. Any thoughts on that. Or, any thoughts on a 1-2 inch random orbit tool. It appears you don't have one in air. Just not yet or is there a reason for that ?

Post Thanks / Like

Good question, I would love to have the TA50 but for really tight hard to reach areas that require a 2" inch pad I really like the precision I get from the boss micro rotary. It doesn't create heat, holograms, or swirls like a full sized rotary and because it doesn't oscillate I can get a 2" pad into areas that I couldn't get a 2" random orbital in.

I forgot to mention in my previous post, but the Chicago Pneumatic CP7200 Mini Random Orbital Sander comes with a 3" backing plate as well as a 2" backing plate. I generally have it equipped with the 3" backing plate though.

I also have the Griot's Garage Pneumatic random orbital. It's junk and nearly identical to the harbor freight one that you can get for half the price. Both are awful in my opinion

Mike Phillips

Back in 2010, 7+ years ago - I wrote the first and only article that I know of on the topic of

Dampsanding

Kind of like wet sanding only with less water. This was when Meguiar's launched their Unigrit Finishing Discs now gone may they rest in peace.

At that time Meguiar's also introduced pneumatic air tools, I showcased all of this stuff in the article that I think weighted in at over 12,000 words and over 100 pictures, one of the most exhaustive articles I've ever written and it could have been a small how-to book.

Here's the link,

Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

Here's a brief excerpt from that article that covers the Meguiar's branded air tools...

sanding thin panels, there's also a 3" Unigrit System available for damp-sanding.

Meguiar's 3 Inch Professional Headlight & Spot Repair Kit
    Kit includes:
    1 Pneumatic Mini DA Sander
    1 Pneumatic Mini Rotary Polisher
    50 S3320 Unigrit 320 Grit Sanding Discs
    50 S3500 Unigrit 500 Grit Sanding Discs
    50 S3800 Unigrit 800 Grit Sanding Discs
    15 S3F1000 Unigrit 1000 Grit Finishing Discs
    25 S31500 Unigrit 1500 Grit Sanding Discs
    15 S3F3000 Unigrit 3000 Grit Finishing Discs
    1 S3FIS Unigrit Foam Interface
    2 W4003 3” “Easy Buff” Knitted Wool Pads
    2 W7204 4” Soft Buff Foam Cutting Pads
    2 W8204 4” Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pads
    2 W9204 4’ Soft Buff Foam Finishing Pads
    2 S3BP 3” Professional Backing Pads and Adaptor Kits
    1 S3HP 3” Professional Hand Pad - 1 ea
    1 W63 3” Professional Rotary Backing Plate
    1 T18MM Professional Masking Tape .75in
    1 8 oz. Meguiars 105 Ultra-Cut Compound
    1 8 oz. Meguiars 205 Ultra Finishing Polish
    1 Meguiar’s Black Canvas Bag
    1 Professional Headlight and Spot Repair Chart
    This is a very complete kit with everything you need to refinish headlights that have deteriorated to the point where only sanding can save them and/or for doing spot sanding or spot damp-sanding to remove isolated defects out of fresh paint or factory paint.

After opening the box you'll find a soft case that hold everything inside with extra pockets on the outside for other tools or accessories...

Here I've spread everything out to show the complete selection of products found in the kit...

There are two backing plates with 4 different adapters which enables you to attach the backing plate to just about every known thread size used for small air tools.

The kit comes with 2 Chicago Pneumatic Air Tools, one is a Mini Dual Action Sander and the other is a Mini Rotary Polisher and both are clearly marked on the outside housing.

The Mini Dual Action Sander
    After determining the correct adapter for sander you rotate the black hub until you see a hole align with the cutout on the exterior casing.

The kit comes with a wrench and a dowel type rod with a handle.

Place the steel shaft of the dowel through the cutout to pin the rotating assembly against the housing, this will enable you to attach the backing plate and tighten the backing plate to the rotating assembly.

Now you're ready to attach the foam interface pad...

The Meguiar's 3 inch Spot Repair Kit uses hook and loop style interface, so align the loop side of the interface pad, (the side with the "M" on it), and attach to the hook side of the face of the backing plate and do your best to align so it's centered or true.

Next select the grade of Unigrit Disc you want to use and align it to the interface and press on firmly.

Here's the sander with interface and Unigrit sanding disc attached...

You're ready to go to work...

This was also the first article and probably one of the only articles ever written on the topic of dampsanding where an entire car was actually dampsanded and the process captured in step-by-step directions with pictures....

Completely Damp-sanded
    The white stuff for anyone reading this wondering what that is, that is clear coat paint that has been sanded off and was in the water film on the panel. After the water evaporates off it leaves the clear coat residue which after being abraded is whitish.

Finished...

Mike Phillips

As for the RUPES TA50

When it was first introduced back in 2014 to the US market, here's the first and probably the only how-to article showcasing what it can do...

How to wetsand, cut and buff a gel-coat boat

Here's the "before" pictures to document the condition of the boat before we started this project.

Holograms in gel-coat
    The below picture is a full size section cropped out of the above resized picture. The lines you see running back and forth across where the flash from my camera is lighting up the side of the hull are holograms from a rotary buffer.

Holograms in gel-coat
    The below picture is a full size section cropped out of the above resized picture. The lines you see running back and forth across where the flash from my camera is lighting up the side of the hull are holograms from a rotary buffer.

These graphics that spell out Shearwater are a soft form of plastic that feels like rubber. If you run a buffing pad on a rotary buffer over them you will harm them and even disfigure them.

All of the gel-coat in and around these graphics will have to be addressed very carefully.

Water Spot Stains & Oxidation
    Not only is the entire hull filled with holograms from the misuse of a rotary buffer, (the normal practice by most boat detailers), the gel-coat is also oxidized and covered with water spot stains.

Question?
    How do you work in small, tight areas?

These graphics that spell out Shearwater are a soft form of plastic that feels like rubber.

If you run a FULL SIZE wool cutting pad on a rotary buffer over them you will harm them and even disfigure them.

Answer...
    The Rupes TA50 to the rescue! - I LOVE THIS TOOL!

I've been buffing out cars all my life and I've been waiting for a mini tool like this for doing intricate work and after using one time to remove oxidation I LOVE this tool

This is a must have tool if you buff a lot of cars and have an air compressor... check it out...

First we took a 6" Meguiar's DMX6 DA Microfiber Xtra Cut Disc and cut 2" discs out of it.

The discs fit onto the velcro hook material on the Rupes 2" backing plate.

Then using Marine 31 Final Step Polish I removed the oxidation around the bottom of the lettering...

Next by tilting the tool and working on edge I could get inside all the small areas of oxidized gel-coat inside and around the letters.

In the shots above the tool is actually running at full speed or wide-open but it looks like the pad is not spinning due the camera settings and camera flash.

This tool never bogged down. It made quick work of doing some real painstaking polishing.

Mike Phillips

I think the above is also the first and only complete and detailed write-up on how to wetsand, cut and buff an extremely oxidized, hologramed gel-coat boat.

Final results...

This is the flash off my camera, if you look closely you can see my outline in the hull... (barely)

The Isinglass was machine polished too....

The engine was machine polished...

And the prop....

Mike Phillips

Keep in mind...

There's always glitches when new tools are introduced and sometimes it takes time for the glitches to show up. Great companies address the glitches and take care of their customers.

RUPES has a great reputation for creating and introducing innovative tools, pads and products as well as a great reputation for taking care of their customers. I'm confident they will use the information shared here on the AutogeekOnline car detailing discussion forum to investigate, evaluate and if needed, make changes and improvements to next generation tools and technology.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mwoywod and Mike. Your info is very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up Mike! I remember the Shearwater article. Sending my Ibrid out tomorrow morning. Shipping Jeff (JSFMX35) Ibrid back to him tomorrow as well. Got the VW beetle done and out the door. My Flex PE8 will be here Friday and will serve a purpose while my Ibrid is out of commission.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast