autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes 21 Speed Selector Not Working

I was trying to save a buck so I purchased a used Rupes bigfoot 21 polisher from a member on a different forum. Unfortunately I went to use it for the first time today and noticed the speed selector is not working. I get the same speed whether its on speed 1 or speed 6. It works good on whatever speed it is running though

I can no longer get a hold of said forum member so it looks like I was stiffed. I'll see what I can do with Paypal but want this fixed if possible. Anyone else ever experience this issue with their bigfoot? I contacted Rupes via email so I am awaiting their response which I assume won't be until Monday so figured I would ask you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes 21 Speed Selector Not Working

Untrustable people.Sounds like a easy fix.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be the brushes need replaced. I would wait to hear what rupes says but does sound like the brushes
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear about your misfortune dealing with a dishonest person. karma will find it's way back to them at some point..

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got a response from the seller. He said it was working fine before he sent it off an to try taking the 5" backing place off and remove the washer? Going to see what he is talking about tomorrow when I get to my shop. Not sure what a washer would have anything to do with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STI4Life06 View Post
    I finally got a response from the seller. He said it was working fine before he sent it off an to try taking the 5" backing place off and remove the washer? Going to see what he is talking about tomorrow when I get to my shop. Not sure what a washer would have anything to do with that?
    the washer mod aids in the backing plate to spin freely. if it's a mechanical/internal problem it would have nothing to do with that...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the washer would be irrelevant. Hopefully it's the right washer modified and not just a regular one too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    Yeah the washer would be irrelevant. Hopefully it's the right washer modified and not just a regular one too.
    Yeah it was a modified washer (flat ends). Obviously taking them out did nothing.

Going to ship it to Rupes today so see what the cost will be to fix. Seller agreed to help me out with the cost of replacement. He said it was working fine before shipping so I guess its possible it got tossed around during shipping as he shipped in a Rupes box with no cushioning.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STI4Life06 View Post
    Yeah it was a modified washer (flat ends). Obviously taking them out did nothing.

Going to ship it to Rupes today so see what the cost will be to fix. Seller agreed to help me out with the cost of replacement. He said it was working fine before shipping so I guess its possible it got tossed around during shipping as he shipped in a Rupes box with no cushioning.

I bought a Rupes a month ago and the speed selector doesn't work either. I got it off of eBay from one of the big retailers. The machine was brand new. Just didn't have box or paperwork. Why would a brand new polisher have a problem like this. Super upset and not getting a response from the seller. I have no idea what speed it is running on. Could be 4, 5 or even 6. Never owned this model to compare with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fergnation View Post
    I bought a Rupes a month ago and the speed selector doesn't work either. I got it off of eBay from one of the big retailers. The machine was brand new. Just didn't have box or paperwork. Why would a brand new polisher have a problem like this. Super upset and not getting a response from the seller. I have no idea what speed it is running on. Could be 4, 5 or even 6. Never owned this model to compare with.
    I ended up needing a new Motor Housing for mine which was 93$ after shipping. Mine was definitely stuck at a pretty high speed, probably a 4 or 5. Thankfully I ended up getting my money back from the seller by opening a PayPal Case since he stopped responding to my text messages. I just got it back a few days ago from Rupes and its working great now!